Search found 27 matches

by el pr0n
Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:33 am
Forum: Sound Production
Topic: Yamaha NS-10M Speakers
Replies: 7
Views: 945

Re: Yamaha NS-10M Speakers

I've only started to try to learn about monitors... Anyone care to explain why a certain speaker might be 'tiring' compared to another?
by el pr0n
Tue May 31, 2011 3:23 pm
Forum: Sound Production
Topic: How do you guys work?
Replies: 34
Views: 2861

Re: How do you guys work?

Really like this thread. I'm trialing a new way of working now that I have a new room to work in, seeing how other people do it is really cool now that I'm between phases... What kind of music do you make? Alternative rock with lots of classical and IDM-type influences. I'm not very good at integrat...
by el pr0n
Sun May 29, 2011 9:47 pm
Forum: General Synthesizers
Topic: New guy here! A couple questions I have...
Replies: 29
Views: 1367

Re: New guy here! A couple questions I have...

Plumpudding wrote:
el pr0n wrote:
foodeater wrote:'Now the same as any other time: exactly enough is exactly enough'?
That one deserves a virtual kiss! Couldn't find a kiss emoticon, so I'll give you a lick. :la: :la:
....You're welcome? :lol:
by el pr0n
Sun May 29, 2011 8:53 pm
Forum: General Synthesizers
Topic: New guy here! A couple questions I have...
Replies: 29
Views: 1367

Re: New guy here! A couple questions I have...

foodeater wrote:Now more than ever: less is more.
I really hate that way of thinking. If you want to make music with lots of different instruments all playing at once, you'll need lots of different instruments...

How about 'Now the same as any other time: exactly enough is exactly enough'?
by el pr0n
Sun May 22, 2011 2:57 pm
Forum: General Synthesizers
Topic: Why so subtractive?
Replies: 52
Views: 3552

Re: Why so subtractive?

Have another listen to all that. Particularly Xenakis, Stockhausen and Messiaen, you won't find much use of subtractive synths there. Hm, I know, I wasn't listing out a load of people I thought used only subtractive synths, just ones I listen to. The reason I got into Xenakis, Stockhausen, Autechre...
by el pr0n
Fri May 20, 2011 10:14 pm
Forum: General Synthesizers
Topic: Why so subtractive?
Replies: 52
Views: 3552

Why so subtractive?

Something I've been wondering about a lot lately, then kinda compacted by parts of shaft9000's post in one of the threads here; It's not like in the 70s and 80s when all this stuff was new - you didn't need to know what you were doing then as pretty much every sound was relatively interesting and ne...
by el pr0n
Fri May 20, 2011 12:13 pm
Forum: General Synthesizers
Topic: New guy here! A couple questions I have...
Replies: 29
Views: 1367

Re: New guy here! A couple questions I have...

As far as sound design goes, working in software is the way to go. Most of it is done in Max/MSP 5 and symbolic sound Kyma. If you're looking to do far out sounds nobody has made before. A juno 60 is most especially not the synth you want to buy. It's nice but highly limited in the amount of patche...
by el pr0n
Tue May 17, 2011 4:15 pm
Forum: General Synthesizers
Topic: Why analog?
Replies: 87
Views: 5152

Re: Why analog?

Analogue is better because it really is better, and if you disagree with me in any way I'm not going to attempt to back up my arguments at all, because it's obvious to anyone that you're wrong. holy s**t that is some industrial grade trolling right there. good work, sir This is completely unaccepta...
by el pr0n
Tue May 17, 2011 1:58 am
Forum: General Synthesizers
Topic: Why analog?
Replies: 87
Views: 5152

Re: Why analog?

I felt I explained in my original post but I'll indicate it again. Everyone in the World agrees that the Bosendorfer Imperial 290 is better than a Yamaha U1 upright piano. There's no opinion in this (everything isn't about opinion). Similarly, there's universal agreement that a Minimoog is superior...
by el pr0n
Mon May 16, 2011 11:24 pm
Forum: General Synthesizers
Topic: Why analog?
Replies: 87
Views: 5152

Re: Why analog?

I believe there a reality and validity in the points I made, worth taking on board. Regards, Kevin. I don't get how you can say 'analogue is literally better-sounding' than anything... Even saying "X is just better than Y" with respect to anything is a hard enough argument to make a point of, but s...
by el pr0n
Sun May 15, 2011 11:27 am
Forum: Sound Production
Topic: DI Boxes for dummies...
Replies: 9
Views: 2512

Re: DI Boxes for dummies...

Ashe37 wrote:see when we discussed this the other night, Blackgnosis just wouldn't take my word for it that you don't need a DI box to go from synth/audio interface to a PA system
It necessary running from a stage to sound desk though, right?
by el pr0n
Fri May 13, 2011 12:30 am
Forum: Samplers
Topic: Programming software samplers
Replies: 0
Views: 437

Programming software samplers

Er, I couldn't think of a good title... Suggestions? :P One of the things I'm most interested in doing with music right now is programming a sampler in Pure Data (though I'm considering learning SuperCollider over summer so I'd like to do it in that too). One that can sample in real time, that I cou...
by el pr0n
Tue May 10, 2011 10:36 pm
Forum: General Synthesizers
Topic: Triadex muse
Replies: 6
Views: 4686

Re: Triadex muse

Is there any info on how the sequencer in there works? I can't find very much info... It'd be easily doable in Pd or SuperCollider or something and interface with any other synth, if you knew the rules for the system...
by el pr0n
Sat May 07, 2011 10:51 am
Forum: General Synthesizers
Topic: question about guitar trackers
Replies: 10
Views: 617

Re: question about guitar trackers

space6oy wrote:whammy ... handle chords.
No it doesn't. It jumps between all the notes you play really quickly.
by el pr0n
Sat May 07, 2011 1:37 am
Forum: Sound Production
Topic: Production on linux.
Replies: 17
Views: 1533

Re: Production on linux.

Sure, what do you want to know? It's a bit like a modular synth, in that you make an object for an oscillator, and an object for a filter, and an amp, and connect them all up however you want, and envelopes and modulators and sequencers and whatever can go wherever you want them to. But then it's li...