USB 3 or USB 2 for Synth peripherals?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

USB 3 or USB 2 for Synth peripherals?

Postby JMH » Mon May 14, 2018 11:04 pm

Hi,

Having issues with several USB hubs tweaking out and disconnecting my peripherals when trying to plug my Aruria Matrixbrute and DSI Prophet Rev2 into the hub via USB. It is a USB 3 Hub. Does anyone know if these synths can't speak well to USB 3?

I have gone through two hubs now, different brands but similar, inconstant behavior. Sometimes the Synths are recognized, other times not and the hub shuts down it's active ports (or some of them) when the synths are plugged in.

Don't know if the synths are eating too much bandwidth in the same hub, or if this is a USB 3 compatibility thing for the synths specifically.

Any help appreciated!

Mac Pro (2013 black cylinder) 8 Core 3GHZ, 64 GB Ram
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
Arturia Matrixbrute
Prophet Rev2
Anker USB 3.0 7-Port Data and Charging Hub (A7515), daiseychained into a Pluggable 7 Port USB 3 Hub
JMH

Re: USB 3 or USB 2 for Synth peripherals?

Postby Ashe37 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:19 am

check your power management settings. Try connecting the synths directly to the PC and if it keeps happening, it is the machine not the USB ports. Anyway, most synth devices are going to be USB 2, with the exception of the Virus Ti, which is pokey ole USB 1. Also, that much daisy chaining may not be a great idea.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby meatballfulton » Fri May 18, 2018 5:49 pm

I haven't heard specifically about those synths, but I have read reports of a number of USB2 peripherals (not just synth stuff) not working well with USB3.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Ashe37 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:07 pm

and apparently that much chaining is fine. IS either hub MTT?
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby clubbedtodeath » Sat May 26, 2018 8:43 pm

It could be a power issue. I see the Mac Pro isn't very upgradeable -- maybe try a thunderbolt-USB adapter, and see if that works?

By the way, using USB on synths can create a ground loop - which will manifest itself as a hum. I've had this on a Macbook Pro, and a PC. I use MIDI for controlling synths, and USB only for firmware updates. Never had a ground loop issue since.
clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Return to General Synthesizers