Guys, I need your help to find a synth!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Guys, I need your help to find a synth!

Postby Bahamut » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:02 pm

I had a friend back in middle school that had a synth/keyboard/workstation/whatever in his house that was amazing (at least for the kid I was) and recently I am literally dying to remember what model/brand was. I am sure I could recognize it by looking at a photo. I did some research with all the clues I have, but no results so far.

Clues I put together by memory, so not 100% reliable:

- I don't recall it being a Roland, Yamaha or Casio, it could be a niche brand.

- I am pretty sure it was all black, or maybe black with some gray details, and I don't recall having colorful buttons (except for LEDs and maybe backlighted control keys) or walls of text on the surface (like the ones telling you the code for a particular instrument).

- I remember it had a clean, rectangular shape.

- My friend's parents were literally packed with money and their house was full of technological things (his dad was one of the first people I have ever seen with more than one PC at home): I am pretty sure this keyboard was expensive, and surely was not a toy, it looked like a professional tool.

- We are talking about end of '90s here, probably 1997 or so, but the keyboard may not have been brand new, so it may be older than that. Surely, it is not something from 2000 and onward.

- It was freaking huge, with two built-in speakers.

- It had a display, not one with pre-draw things and basic LCD, probably a dot-matrix one.

Things I am 100% sure of:

- Full (88 or maybe 76) keys, and they were "pressure-sensitive" or "weighted" (they worked like a real piano keys, simulating the amount of force you used to press them to produce sounds at different volume/intensity).

- It worked with 3.5 floppy disks, integrated drive, and the drive was not immediately visible but was placed behind the keyboard, where the other connectors are (or maybe in the front, under the keys, I don't quite remember).

- We used to load songs (MIDI bases, mostly) using floppys and the keyboard displayed the lyrics and we could do karaoke using two microphone at the same time (probably connected via XLR).

- It had a pitch bend/wheel on the left side and I am pretty sure it was just one, placed horizontally (so you could turn it left or right), with an indentation on top to place your finger and was made (or coated) with rubber.

- PC connectivity (I assume as MIDI) and used with Cakewalk Pro Audio (the software could have been a simple preference).

- You could write with the keyboard, like every key was associated with a letter and mainly used to write things on the display (probably renaming files inside the floppys or giving your recordings a name).

Thanks for any help!
Bahamut

Re: Guys, I need your help to find a synth!

Postby Ashe37 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:18 pm

you're looking for an arranger or home keyboard, not a synth.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby electrotech » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:27 pm

Sounds like it could be a Korg i4S ?
electrotech

Postby FalkenLab » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:02 pm

Farfisa F1?
FalkenLab

Return to General Synthesizers