Arturia BSP/Moog Source?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Arturia BSP/Moog Source?

Postby mis psiquicios y yo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:03 am

Hi all, I’m getting a Beat Step Pro this weekend and one of the things I want to try is to control a Moog Source. In theory is possible. Has anyone tried it? Any Tips?
mis psiquicos y yo
Moog Source
Emax rack
DX7 II FD-9-11-100
VFX-SD
Poly 800
Volcas Sampler & Keys
DotCom modular
mis psiquicios y yo

Re: Arturia BSP/Moog Source?

Postby Broadwave » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:21 pm

You shouldn't have any problems... Just remember to change the "Gate Out" of the BSP to "S-Trigger" (via the Midi Control Center software) and you'll be good to go.
Broadwave

Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, Ultranova, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, and some guitars

Postby mis psiquicios y yo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:55 pm

Broadwave wrote:You shouldn't have any problems... Just remember to change the "Gate Out" of the BSP to "S-Trigger" (via the Midi Control Center software) and you'll be good to go.

Great! I am concerned about the interface on the Source, because the conctions are in two ways: CV out/in, in the same cable, also in the S-trigger. Hope I don't fry any of the machines
mis psiquicos y yo
Moog Source
Emax rack
DX7 II FD-9-11-100
VFX-SD
Poly 800
Volcas Sampler & Keys
DotCom modular
mis psiquicios y yo

Postby Broadwave » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:00 am

Just make up two cables like the ones below for the correct CV and Trigger connections ;)

Broadwave

Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, Ultranova, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, and some guitars

Postby mis psiquicios y yo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:55 pm

Thank you very much man! looking forward to run a setup with the BSP, hope it can fulfill my expectations.

For the sequences I mainly use an Alesis MMt-8 and a Roland MC50 or the sequencer of the VFX sd which are awesome, but those three machines are now kind of faulty, so I was thinking buying an Mc80 or something like that, but then I thought that maybe is time to modernize a little bit and change things, and the BSP can control my modular, the OP-1, Source, and of course my Midi synths, so here I am.

Thanks again, I´ll post a video with the BSP, the Source and those cables.
mis psiquicos y yo
Moog Source
Emax rack
DX7 II FD-9-11-100
VFX-SD
Poly 800
Volcas Sampler & Keys
DotCom modular
mis psiquicios y yo

Postby mis psiquicios y yo » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:26 am

Well I haven’t made the cables for The Source, but hete is a video of the Beatstep Pro sequencing a small modular and some other goddies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VMi6afLIZqY
mis psiquicos y yo
Moog Source
Emax rack
DX7 II FD-9-11-100
VFX-SD
Poly 800
Volcas Sampler & Keys
DotCom modular
mis psiquicios y yo

Postby Mooger5 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:00 pm

Are you having trouble soldering those mini jack plugs?? If so, just get an RCA to 3.5mm mono adapter such as this one:

Because those are much more practical than the chunky 6.35 to 3.5 mm adapters. Use one of the plastic "hifi" cables, cut the rca plug off the other end and solder the 6.35 TRS plug. Easy Job.

EDIT - The above adaptor and rca cable are easy to find at any shopping mall. A better alternative is the cable with the molded plugs such as this one:

Cut the other end and solder the 6.35 mm TRS in place. This is what I used for controling the Rogue with the MC202. But these aren´t so easy to find locally anymore. You´ll probably have to buy them online
Herrare umanum est.
Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby mis psiquicios y yo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:28 am

Mooger5 wrote:Are you having trouble soldering those mini jack plugs?? If so, just get an RCA to 3.5mm mono adapter such as this one:

Because those are much more practical than the chunky 6.35 to 3.5 mm adapters. Use one of the plastic "hifi" cables, cut the rca plug off the other end and solder the 6.35 TRS plug. Easy Job.

EDIT - The above adaptor and rca cable are easy to find at any shopping mall. A better alternative is the cable with the molded plugs such as this one:

Cut the other end and solder the 6.35 mm TRS in place. This is what I used for controling the Rogue with the MC202. But these aren´t so easy to find locally anymore. You´ll probably have to buy them online

Thanks man! I'll post the result hopefully very soon!!
mis psiquicos y yo
Moog Source
Emax rack
DX7 II FD-9-11-100
VFX-SD
Poly 800
Volcas Sampler & Keys
DotCom modular
mis psiquicios y yo

Postby mis psiquicios y yo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:32 pm

I haven´t had the time to make the cables to control the Source with the Beatstep Pro via CV, but yesterday I tried to synchronize both machines through the clock output of the BSP to the DIN Syn of the Moog and the result is that the sync works partially with the Moog sequencer and not with the arpeggiator. The sequencer starts with the BSP sequencer and the tempo can be controlled, but the problem is that the length of the moog sequence does not respect the length of the BSP sequence. I hope to make those cables soon!
mis psiquicos y yo
Moog Source
Emax rack
DX7 II FD-9-11-100
VFX-SD
Poly 800
Volcas Sampler & Keys
DotCom modular
mis psiquicios y yo

Return to General Synthesizers