Need a midi player/sequencer for Rush tribute

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Foxwell9685

Need a midi player/sequencer for Rush tribute

Post by Foxwell9685 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:21 am

Hi everybody!

I'm new to this site, so I really wish you could welcome me by helping me to find out the best suitable hardware for my situation. I'm putting up a band with a friend drummer. It's a Rush tribute....quite easy :D

We'd like to play synth parts just like the way Rush do. We got:
-a Roland PK-5 (midi controller),
-an Akai s-2800 (sampler),
-an Alesis Dm-5 (drum module), connected to a sort of self-made percussion pad kit (Mallett Kat style).

What we still need is a hardware to launch midi sequences. For the moment, Ableton Live represents the software version of what we actually need: a way to start midi files using "midi learn" functions, or "midi mapping" functions. For instance, I can “tell” Ableton to launch a midi file by sending a particular note (A1, B3, C#4, E0, etc….) triggered from an external controller.

The problem is that we’d prefer not to use a PC: we’d rather use a midi player, or a sequencer, whose commands (above all, start and stop commands) should be assignable. Unfortunately, we don’t know which hardware owns this kind of versatility. I’m sure you will give me very good advice. Thank you so much for your help.

Virgule

Re: Need a midi player/sequencer for Rush tribute

Post by Virgule » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:18 pm

Hello,

The Yamaha QY-300 and QY-700 can do that.

You can remotely trigger phrases, patterns, tracks or whole songs by pressing notes or foot controller.