Casio CZ Series and CT-6500 Patch Editor

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
IanB

Casio CZ Series and CT-6500 Patch Editor

Post by IanB » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:37 pm

Sorry if this is a bit spammy, but I've created a new patch editor for the CZ series and CT-6500. It's for Windows 10 and is in the Windows Store, but is completely free and completely ad free. Also does not capture any user info at all. It's just a patch editor. It's called VZV CZ. Did I say it's free? :)

As I said it supports the classic CZ series and also the preset CT-6500 which, although you cannot save any presets, accepts the usual Sysex so you can edit the "live" patch in the edit buffer and save virtual banks of patches in VZV CZ which you can then load into the synth with a click or tap. I've attempted to make an interface which is touch friendly for us with tablets which are more convenient to carry around than a desktop machine :)

I actually wrote this because I have a CT-6500 and finally worked out how to edit the sounds and couldn't then find a really up to date Windows patch editor.

Here's the store link- https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NBT2LCQV3NQ

If that doesn't work, just search VZV CZ in the Windows Store and it should pop up.

There's two known issues I only spotted after the latest upload (typical); more than one rtpMIDI network channel can crash it on startup and it doesn't disconnect from an input if you switch to another one. I have fixes for them done already but it would be nice if some CZ series users would try it out and report anything else before the next bugfix release since each release in the Store has to be approved so it takes a while. If anyone out there is kind enough to give it a try, you can report any feedback or bugs here or to support@veezeevee.net

Thanks for reading!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Casio CZ Series and CT-6500 Patch Editor

Post by madtheory » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:36 pm

IanB wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:37 pm
I actually wrote this because I have a CT-6500 and finally worked out how to edit the sounds and couldn't then find a really up to date Windows patch editor.
That's very cool. Casio made some strange decisions with their keyboards, sometimes underselling the very powerful CZ synthesis technology.

IanB

Post by IanB » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:32 pm

madtheory wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:36 pm
That's very cool. Casio made some strange decisions with their keyboards, sometimes underselling the very powerful CZ synthesis technology.
Yes, they did make some odd decisions and it's a pity they didn't evolve the CZ engine in particular. The CT6500 is a weird beast, basically a complete CZ in a "home organ" package. Mine belonged to my late father. It's quite fun with a cheesy rhythm section and the Casio Chord thing using CZ sounds, though the drum box bit does this stupid thing of trying to adjust to what you're playing with weird results, like having a drummer who thinks he's too clever to play a straight 4/4.

Turns out that it accepts the same Sysex as other CZs except you can't save any patches on it, it's all preset, but you can put a patch in the "live" buffer no problem, upload patches from it, etc. My patch editor works with that on the CT6500. To cut a long story short, the edit buffer is patch 60 (hexadecimal) and you can read and write that. It even has a (not really very usable in this day and age to be honest) sequencer.

It's a fun synth. Organ. Home keyboard. Whatever.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:06 pm

Interesting about the drum section! Some day, we'll be able to read about the people that designed these features. I used to get a lot of mileage from a CZ-5000 with the sequencer. These days Arturia VCZ is where it's at, for me. I can load old patches and use them in a more fun way than the original machine.