Can anyone help identify this beast?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Ginodimeo

Can anyone help identify this beast?

Post by Ginodimeo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:54 pm

My mate spotted it in a house/clearance store but I can’t make out the brand from the c**p quality image. Anyone got any ideas before I make the two hour round trip?
Attachments
6A44C15E-7A8F-4809-9B54-EBDA0BC175A3.jpeg

Virgule

Re: Can anyone help identify this beast?

Post by Virgule » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:35 am

Maplin 5600

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:13 pm

Man, I'd drive four hours for anything with that many knobs on it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Hyde
Gear: ASR10
EPS16
EPS
Mirage
S2000
ESI2000
SY35
SQ1+
K1000
K2000rs
Band: When Violets Turn Grey

Post by Hyde » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:36 pm

Looks Cool! Cant sound too bad! Did he take it home?

bigbear
Gear: A-100, MS20, Microkorg, SQ1, S950, DM5, SR16, SY35, BassStation2, Microfreak, Beatstep Pro, Model D, Guitars, Effects pedals, LostVolts Theremin.
Band: Drumbeg

Post by bigbear » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:16 pm

Maplin synths could be really great - i had one for a while, but I seem to remember that they were available in kit form, s othe build quality could be iffy? Now that Maplin are gone, I don't know who might suport these.

Kayjay

Post by Kayjay » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:47 pm

I have the 'Maplin' /ETI International 4600. It was built by my dad in the 70's, he was an electrical engineer so the build quality of this is really good. I remember watching him setting up the modules with an oscilloscope. He didn't get to finish it unfortunately, it still needs the long springline fitting and wiring in. Something I can do as I have the build manual too.

I'm posting this because I want to sell it, I found a site that has a lot of info on the 4600 if anyone wants to view it, apart from explanation in video form of all the modules there is also a video of that unit working, it's amazing.

https://encyclotronic.com/synthesizers/ ... 429/#specs

Hope I'm not breaking any rules posting that link.

I'm not able to play my model, one it still needs the springline fitting although I suspect it will still play without that. I haven't a clue what to do with it, I'm not a musical person in any way, I just like listening to good music. If anyone is interested in purchasing my 4600 please get in touch.

I hope again that I haven't broken any rules posting this being for sale, my apologies if I have.

I can only sell it in the UK as it would be impossible to pack it up for a courier. So it's a collect or I can deliver depending on how far I need to go.

I have to part with this as I'm moving onto a narrowboat permanently and there just isn't the room for it. Can anyone help me please, I'm open to sensible offers.

Keith

valstarr

Post by valstarr » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:19 am

Kayjay wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:47 pm
I have the 'Maplin' /ETI International 4600. It was built by my dad in the 70's, he was an electrical engineer so the build quality of this is really good. I remember watching him setting up the modules with an oscilloscope. He didn't get to finish it unfortunately, it still needs the long springline fitting and wiring in. Something I can do as I have the build manual too.

I'm posting this because I want to sell it, I found a site that has a lot of info on the 4600 if anyone wants to view it, apart from explanation in video form of all the modules there is also a video of that unit working, it's amazing.

https://encyclotronic.com/synthesizers/ ... 429/#specs

Hope I'm not breaking any rules posting that link.

I'm not able to play my model, one it still needs the springline fitting although I suspect it will still play without that. I haven't a clue what to do with it, I'm not a musical person in any way, I just like listening to good music. If anyone is interested in purchasing my 4600 please get in touch.

I hope again that I haven't broken any rules posting this being for sale, my apologies if I have.

I can only sell it in the UK as it would be impossible to pack it up for a courier. So it's a collect or I can deliver depending on how far I need to go.

I have to part with this as I'm moving onto a narrowboat permanently and there just isn't the room for it. Can anyone help me please, I'm open to sensible offers.

Keith
Hi Keith, I'm a74 yr old muso living in Canberra Australia. Read your interesting article about your dad building the 4600. He sounds like he may have been my age in the 70s. I also built one at the time with my kids being toddlers. I had it for many years but sold it around 20yrs ago. Recently I was able to acquire another EII4600 to restore however it's becoming a problem more than I wish for at this age. In this one I just cannot get the Keyboard Controller to work despite hours of checking and changing some chips, the original chips are so hard obtain now. Just curious did you get to sell your dads synth. Pity you dont' live in Australia. I could get someone to make me another PC board but now days even that is worth more I wish to spend on the synth. Thank you

DeadDruid

Post by DeadDruid » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:18 am

Hi,

I have a eti4600 which is about 60% complete. I assembled all the boards back in the 70's but got no further. I think that I was as the testing/inter wiring stage when I stopped. I am unsure whether to complete it or maybe someone is interested in the bits. There is no patch panel,keyboard or container.

DeadDruid

Post by DeadDruid » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:18 pm

Hi again. Forgot to say that I am in Bundaberg Queensland Australia.