Survey on Analog vs Virtual Analog Synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
surveysynth

Re: Survey on Analog vs Virtual Analog Synths

Post by surveysynth » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:59 pm

i still don't understand how you could belong to more than one of these groups....

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:03 pm

surveysynth wrote:i still don't understand how you could belong to more than one of these groups....
You can't assume that it is obvious from the survey, even if it makes sense, because you haven't allowed for that category in your survey. It has to be clear in the categories you have created in the survey. As it stands, you've implied they're exclusive. You have framed it as if "musician" and "synth-expert" are exclusive. There's no way to know that's not what you believe, from the survey.

Look, it's obvious you've put a lot of work into the survey and that is highly commendable. It's a good idea. The feedback you're getting just gives you more to learn from. This is perfectly normal in survey design! I work with students on this kind of stuff all the time in final year projects. Learning is all about breaking out of our assumptions and biasses. Consider this as progress :)

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:11 pm

The first question could've been split and asked like this instead:

Describe your skills of musicianship (music theory, performance):
0 (novice), 1 (meh), 2 (okay), 3 (rather well), 4 (expert)

Describe your skills of synths and sound design:
0 (novice), 1 (meh), 2 (okay), 3 (rather well), 4 (expert)

That way, you keep all ambiguity out! I'd have answered 3 and 4 respectively.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:28 pm

surveysynth wrote:The point is not to prove if one is more valid than another. It is only to study if different groups can significantly identify which is which.
Than thesis is done. No one can.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:47 pm

The only part I have trouble with is in relation to 'stereotypes'.

Should have kept that to yourself, cause now I'm listening for something in particular and looking for sonic qualities. Now I'm triggered into thinking ANYTHING warm must be the analog synth and ANYTHING bright must be the virtual stuff.

And the perceived gap isn't about the TYPE of synthesis used, it's about the METHOD.
There's synth products that use samples and a sample of an analog synth sounds, well....a whole lot like an analog synth.
"Cold" is about using only numbers (and not very accurate ones) to approximate sound(s).
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:57 pm

A better test would be to have a midi controller set up to control a small group of synths. The synths would be a mix of VA and analog gear, and be set up so that the participant can't see them, or have access to them. The participant would hear all of the synths at the same level through the same monitors, and the midi controller would control the same parameters on each synth. The participant would then have buttons before him that would switch between each synth, and time to play the keys and turn the knobs before having to identify them.

Even this experiment could be problematic: if synths with contrasting character are chosen for the experiment, the participant will likely be able to identify the key elements of each type:(Crusty 70's analog vs. Korg m1). If the character is too similar, the participant may be unlikely to tell the difference: (JX-8P vs. D50).

Another idea would be to familiarize the participant with the character of two types of synthesis, then present different examples of sounds those instruments make in the same context to see if the participant can identify them.

Lastly, all blind tests are inherently flawed due to the fact that your brain only processes a certain percent of the sense data coming in when compiling experiences. Your context and other senses play an important role in filtering and organizing the data so you can experience things coherently, but also to economize brain your brain functions. Trying to use these blind tests for identifying differences beyond basic distinctions is like using one eye to evaluate depth perception.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:10 pm

Oh Ninja- that's too deep, indeed.
You're supposed to give the survey then explain it after. lol

VSE still hasn't recovered from the downtime. It's awfully quiet round these parts all of a sudden.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bassdude » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:21 am

I took the survey for the h**l of it. How do I find out my results?