how many versions of MOTU MIDI EXPRESS XT ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jxalex
Gear: enough

how many versions of MOTU MIDI EXPRESS XT ?

Post by jxalex » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:25 pm

So, this one here is MIDI EXPRESS XT USB. Right?

https://www.thomann.de/se/mark_of_the_u ... xt_usb.htm

But this one is too! The same name!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/112282700335?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

But it looks very similar to XT version with LPT port.
I have never seen it in the search engines, and there are no user manual for it. What version is it? WHich year model. On the backpanel it is marked that it is FullSpeed 12Mbit USB

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: how many versions of MOTU MIDI EXPRESS XT ?

Post by madtheory » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:07 pm

jxalex

Post by jxalex » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:05 pm

I must be dreaming... Thank You!
Oldschooldaw seems to me very suitable forum as I would operate with pleasure with oldschool hardware.. errmm if I would get the schematics as well then I would build a clones.

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:18 pm

Motu has been manufacturing midi patchbays since the early 90's and they are still using the same model names.
Early units have the Mark of the unicorn logo, while later ones have the classic MOTU.
IMHO , motu timepiece AV is the one to get/build.
I have never seen any schematics from Motu, good luck with this one !
It is all about sharing...

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:56 am

SMPTE tape synch...now that is old school ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:45 pm

meatballfulton wrote:SMPTE tape synch...now that is old school ;)
Ya it is in that sense. But it's still very much current in video/ film, to sync BWAV files from the audio recorder(s) to the camera files. Cameras with timecode i/o are $$$$$$$ tho :(

I had a bunch of stuff off 4 track with SMPTE code, which I couldn't use. Got around it with the new Melodyne Studio which can figure out the tempo, and fix up the timing and tuning if you wish. It's amazing. It even works with stuff that wasn't done to any click or SMPTE. I still had the MIDI files, so got it all back to edit and remix. It's worth minding your archive of creations :)

jxalex

Post by jxalex » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:30 pm

Yekuku wrote:Motu has been manufacturing midi patchbays since the early 90's and they are still using the same model names.
Early units have the Mark of the unicorn logo, while later ones have the classic MOTU.
IMHO , motu timepiece AV is the one to get/build.
I have never seen any schematics from Motu, good luck with this one !
well, I have 2 of the LPT port versions of MIDI EXPRESS XT. One comes with firmware 1.0.2, another one with 1.0.5.

Now I get that USB 12Mbit version too. I will see how much difference they have. If the core is still the same and there are couple programmable circuits, perhaps then it can be altered to USB 2.0, or the LPT port version can be changed to USB ones too. Still, wild dream though. I ordered that one, becouse it still works on some retro DAW (VST32 & WIN98SE ).

However my first thought is that -- how much CPU hog it reduces from LPT version going to USB 12Mbit version?

Yekuku

Post by Yekuku » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:02 pm

Hmm , it would be quite a task to achieve such a conversion, keep us updated wih your findings!
I have 2 parallel version of motu timepiece AV, and some years ago I have emailed MOTU asking them if I could load the latest firmware version from the usb model, the answer was negative due to "hardware incompatibility".
Speaking of midi patchbays, I am waiting for my new(?) Roland A-880 to arrive in the mail :keys1:

jxalex

Post by jxalex » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:12 pm

in other place it was said that the core is the same basically for MIDI Express. But perhaps they did not meant in such detail?

but is there a way to get 2 parallel port MIDI Express to work at the same computer?

(P.S.: well, there are other quests completed. Anyone interested about Wavestation EX fresh eproms with homebrewed programmer? ;)

Yekuku

Post by Yekuku » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:30 pm

jxalex wrote:in other place it was said that the core is the same basically for MIDI Express. But perhaps they did not meant in such detail?
I really cant say since I have never compared the inwards of a parrallel and usb model. if it happens to have my hands on a new one I will open it up and I will let you know.
jxalex wrote: but is there a way to get 2 parallel port MIDI Express to work at the same computer?
If my faint memory serves me right there was a way of connecting 2 timepiece AVs together and from one's parrallel to the computer.
jxalex wrote:(P.S.: well, there are other quests completed. Anyone interested about Wavestation EX fresh eproms with homebrewed programmer? ;)
Ha! my trusty wavestation definitely deserves an update :) Did you manage to get hold of the extra PCM roms that Ex has?

jxalex

Post by jxalex » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:09 pm

Yes. And I haven't forgotten You.
If the 27C1000-15 is to Your sweetie then this is it. :)

Mesmerised
Gear: Minimoog, ELKA Rhapsody, MFOS Modular, Matrix 1000, K5000S, MI Ambika, Shruthi (3x) and Anushri, Sonic Potions LXR, JX-8P, D-50, ...

Post by Mesmerised » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:31 pm

I know of at least four versions of the Midi Express XT. There's the old one with no USB (Apple Serial and parallel port, pretty much useless these days), the first USB model (lots of problems), the second USB model (ask for EPROM update for improved MacOS X compatibility) and the actual one which can be updated via MIDI.
It's pretty sad that MotU's support for these interfaces is rather bad as they are really great and can (could) do lots of stuff (filtering, merging, patching, ect...), but the support of current OS's is severely lacking.

jxalex

Post by jxalex » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:24 pm

the first USB model (lots of problems),
which problems these are if you claim so? Name these.

and which version is it here on the picture in my first post?
I got it now and inside it is 2001 year written.

The LPT port version is usable if the sheeple would not go along with M$ and software corporation "trends" but would demand compatibility. Even if half of the worlds customers would STILL use LPT port and WIN XP they "discontinue" the support against all customers. No respect for those companies.

I got now the LPT version and that unknown USB model (look the picture) and so far I can say that with USB model the CPU hog is lower and I can use ASIO at the lower latency with 336 samples instead of 1300 (WIN98SE, Cubase VST32, single core 3.4GHz CPU Pentium 4). So thats the first difference between LPT and USB 12Mbit version.
FUrthermore I got running BOTH AT THE SAME TIME in the same machine -- LPT port MOTU and USB port motu. So, currently having 16 input and output ports with MOTU, plus 2 MIDI ports thanks for 2 soundcards. 18 ports total.
However which kind of lots of USB troubles there are?

For newest USB MOTU midi Express there is NO SUPPORT for WIN98SE. Atleast it is not written on the company website. :D That I know for sure what it is with the latest USB MOTU midi Express model.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:45 pm

I know that there are at least two different front panels that have been used. The one shown in the first link at the post at the top of the thread, with the numbered lights 1-8 for transmit and receive, I think is the most recent. The one I have is an older one; it has two rows of small LEDs, one above the other, and other controls on the panel are in different places.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

abruzzi

Post by abruzzi » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:20 pm

jxalex wrote: FUrthermore I got running BOTH AT THE SAME TIME in the same machine -- LPT port MOTU and USB port motu. So, currently having 16 input and output ports with MOTU, plus 2 MIDI ports thanks for 2 soundcards. 18 ports total.
However which kind of lots of USB troubles there are?
Another useful trick on some of the MOTU interfaces (not sure if the Express XT has this, but...) some have a serial network port. For a while I had a USB MidiTimepiece AV connected to my mac, an RS422 cable to an old MidiTimepiece II (serial/parallel only). That gave me 16 in and 16 out all accessible from the USB on the MTP AV. It even works for routing without the computer hookup.

In the end I pulled all my MOTU MIDI to replace with Alyseum Copperlan interfaces (just in time for Alyseum to discontinue them.) Depending on their longevity, my next MIDI move may be to the mio10.