how many versions of MOTU MIDI EXPRESS XT ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
scottkahn

Re: how many versions of MOTU MIDI EXPRESS XT ?

Post by scottkahn » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:50 pm

Also note that the current MIDI Express XT lacks one key feature of earlier units -- it does not respond to MIDI program changes to setups... so if you want to change the routing of signals from one song to the next in your set, you have to manually scroll through your eight presets. Here's my in-depth review:
http://musicplayers.com/reviews/keyboar ... U_MIDI.php

Scott
MusicPlayers.com The FREE online magazine for serious musicians
http://www.musicplayers.com

MusicianFinder.com GET YOUR JAM ON
Find musicians for your band, recording project, and more
http://www.musicianfinder.com

jxalex
Gear: enough

Post by jxalex » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:22 pm

well, now I looked both units inside -- the LPT version and USB version. The most components are the same.
S&S Midi Processor, the CPU, RAM. Firmware is different.
For USB version it has different interface chip than for LPT version. ( PAL/GAL type chip). So. it is possible to modify the LPT versions to USB versions, but with that the consultation is needed who has more knowledge about those programmable chips for USB.

jxalex

Post by jxalex » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:55 am

that USB version solved many problems and hickups.
So, the expertise needed still about these GAL/PAL chips, if there are possibility for readout.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:00 am

This is the version they are marketing now:

This is mine. I guess it is an early production unit.

I personally like the way the panel is arranged on mine better. However, I had always assumed that the later version was functionally identical. Apparently, it's not.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Mesmerised
Gear: Minimoog, ELKA Rhapsody, MFOS Modular, Matrix 1000, K5000S, MI Ambika, Shruthi (3x) and Anushri, Sonic Potions LXR, JX-8P, D-50, ...

Post by Mesmerised » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:56 am

As I have mentioned, there have been several versions of the Xpress XT. The latest one can receive system updates via USB, the older USB models can not! (you have to change the EPROM chip, contact support in your country if they still can send you one)
There have been some errors with the earlier USB models that can be fixed by the newer system EPROM, another common fault ist, that the onboard battery is dead which can lead to several "interesting" errors, so check that after some years.
I wouldn't bother with trying to reverse engineer these units...

jxalex

Post by jxalex » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:01 pm

Mesmerised wrote:As I have mentioned, there have been several versions of the Xpress XT. The latest one can receive system updates via USB, the older USB models can not!
Irrelevant!
Becouse their new/latest version does not work on old platform -- win98se.
In order to use something and to have it practical, inspiring, I need to be supported by old system too, otherwise it is worthless, whatever new it is.
(you have to change the EPROM chip, contact support in your country if they still can send you one)
About eprom revisions, for 16 year old USB version.
THe history of revisions? What errors are corrected? What is the last version for the earlier EPROM equipped USB versions? --- all the information which is scarce. There is nothing said about the earlier versions either.

There have been some errors with the earlier USB models that can be fixed by the newer system EPROM,
another common fault ist, that the onboard battery is dead which can lead to several "interesting" errors, so check that after some years.
And which errors are there more, besides the battery goes empty which is natural?
I made the eco circuit for the battery saving already.

I wouldn't bother with trying to reverse engineer these units...
Without saying WHY?
The latest USB versions wont work for me. Thats why all this work.