transpose and keeping scale with moog sub 37?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
superdadan

transpose and keeping scale with moog sub 37?

Post by superdadan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:09 am

Hi everyone,
I am considering to buy a moog sub 37. I wanted to know if it is possible, when using the step sequencer or arpeggiator mode, to transpose a sequence within a scale. For instance, Is it possible to set a scale to Major C, record a sequence with 3 notes, let's say : A C E, and then press C on the keyboard to play the sequence C E G instead of C bE G?
Thank you for your attention!

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Re: transpose and keeping scale with moog sub 37?

Post by Zamise » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:25 pm

I don't know the answer to that for sure and I may not be understanding what you are asking, but I've never heard of transposing or arping with notes going to different pitched semitone amounts. Notes always transpose the same amount on all my arpable synths. What gear does what you are asking if you don't mind me asking and you know of some that do it? I'd like to see/hear examples, seriously interested in something like that if so, not trying to be a rude, honestly curious how that would work and what synths can do it.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:55 pm

What you ask for is impossible without giving a source-context to your arp and a destination-context to the notes you play.

Why? It's very simple; because in the diatonic system there are three minor keys and three major keys. And by just playing C-E-G or A-C-E no-one can know which of these diatonic modes you intend to hear. If we stick to the white keys: the three majors are C, F and G, and the three minors are Am, Dm and Em. The differences aren't in the primary three notes that make up a chord, it's in the other notes of the scale. That's why, with only the primary chord notes, it's impossible to decide which mode you're in.

The only alternative, but that'd be irrelevant for the Sub 37 itself, is to use a polyphonic arpeggiator. The VST Nora is a good example (in fact, the best poly-arp I know of), and through MIDI you can of course play any MIDI-instrument you want. Not only is it polyphonic, it's also 8-part multi-timbral, so from one set you can control 8 synths. That's enough to use Nora as a kind of arranger/auto-accompaniment. Changing patterns is possible by choosing from a list of patterns by hitting a specific keyboard key from any channel/device. You could use an Ableton controller for that, even.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Post by vicd » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:08 pm

So, you are looking for "an arpeggiator that morphs a sequence according not only to the fundamental note, but also to the selected scale"? (if so - how do you tell it what's the wanted scale?)

I think I second Zamise. So far I've only seen stuff like that on in-box software (Band-in-a-Box, maybe Ntonyx Stylemorpher to a certain degree).

You could look into advanced auto-accompaniment keyboards (Casio, Yamaha, Ketron) which 1) will understand major/minor/other scales, and 2) allow one creating custom arpeggiator patterns. Then you struggle to spit that via MIDI into your sub37 :)

Not really sure, but it looks like the ages-old Solton Programmer 24(s) was able of doing that - at least that was my impression from watching the YT videos.

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:12 pm

Been thinking... I know Yamaha has what are called Groove Template Play Effects on some sequencers where you can adjust/offset pitch and a few other parm amounts per a 16 step looping measure, not quite the same thing as an arp as it affects what falls on a step in a measure which could vary with arp timing, however they can be applied and adjusted with an arp or sequenced phrase that is being played. You could perhaps create dif templates for major/minor/etc.. scales or chords. Something like that maybe is what OP meant???
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:28 pm

superdadan wrote:Is it possible to set a scale to Major C, record a sequence with 3 notes, let's say : A C E, and then press C on the keyboard to play the sequence C E G instead of C bE G?
No it is not.

The scale feature of the Sub 37 is for microtonal tunings.

Transposing of sequences is chromatic, not diatonic.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

superdadan

Post by superdadan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi everyone,
Thank you for your answers!
I finally received my sub 37 and I found that is is actually possible to transpose sequences in a same tuning scale. I downloaded a software called Phatty tuner alternate scale editor to re-tune the keyboard. I re-tuned it to get only C Major notes all along the keyboard and then the job was done.