Harold Faltermeyer (80's, Beverly Hills cop, Fletch etc.)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Harold Faltermeyer (80's, Beverly Hills cop, Fletch etc.

Post by Micke » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:00 pm

You're welcome, logix

Yes I got them directly from La-La land records. At US$ 56.50, it wasn't cheap but well worth the money.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:01 am

I didn't realize he worked on Laura Branigan's self control. What a great song... I actually thought his work reminded me of self control before learning he contributed to it.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:46 pm

Micke wrote: Thanks D-collector :)

Yes the remakes were released, but afaik only as a digital download. The new la la land releases are indeed the original film scores, ie the complete
instrumental scores including the most notable songs. I have both CD's and they couldn't sound any better. Loving them!

Afaik they will also release the complete Top gun score in the near future.
I see! That's great to hear, the original work is what I prefer of course. Need to get myself those CDs sometime.

They are really releasing Top Gun? Finally!! :shock: :shock:
That little nugget of information just made my day :mrgreen:

I have been waiting for the complete score for so long!

logix

Post by logix » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:57 am

Micke wrote:You're welcome, logix

Yes I got them directly from La-La land records. At US$ 56.50, it wasn't cheap but well worth the money.
Plus perhaps even import duties :o
That's the soundtrack scores CDs for "Beverly Hills Cop" and "Beverly Hills Cop II", right? There's no released full score for "Fletch", is there? At least the original soundtrack for that one is full of great tracks.

I hope the "Top gun" score soundtrack will include the "Top gun anthem" version without the guitar. It brings out the synth-pad really well.

Oh, another thing...
I was watching the entire Harold Faltermeyer Red Bull music academy video lecture where there's a video clip of him doing a re-make of Axel-F, and he adjusts the Jupiter-8 lead sound and also unplugs that Moog 15 "swoosh" white-noise sound for an instantaneous cut-off. It starts at around 1.21.10 and the transcript says (video: Harold Faltermeyer private footage recording "Axel F"). I'm unable to find it anywhere online, so it might very well be a clip only Red Bull Music academy had access to for that particular lecture, but just in case -do you know if it's available for public viewing anywhere? :?:

In my search for studio sessions I did however come across "Sound of the Eighties: Harold Faltermeyer recording 'Shakedown' for Beverly Hills Cop II" which might be of interest:
Last edited by logix on Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:44 pm

logix wrote: I hope the "Top gun" score soundtrack will include "Top gun anthem" version without the guitar. It brings out the synth-pad really well.
Deler det håpet logix :D
It's strange because the theme is almost MORE powerful without the guitar. That buildup.. Great stuff.

logix

Post by logix » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:58 pm

Too true my neighbouring countryman ;)
Did you give in and buy those CDs? The two CDs (it says "currently available for the "Beverly Hills cop I" CD, but awaiting new stock in January....!!?!??) would cost US$ 16.56 in shipping alone, totalling US$ 56.46 and with import duties it would grand total at around 600 NOK (around US$ 70, possibly more). That's some expensive CDs which better be good!!! :shock: