Synths used on Modern English album.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Synths used on Modern English album.

Postby Music Bird » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:25 pm

I like the Modern English album "After the Snow" from 1982. Anyone have any idea of the synths? I Melt With You could be anything because it's just a wide open detune/chorus square lead patch. Other songs are good.
It was produced by Hugh Jones, who also played keyboard on it and so did Stephen Walker. After The Snow the synth evolving pad Someone's Calling string riff Life In The Gladhouse effects Tables Turning arpeggio strings and square pad Dawn Chorus strings solo Face of Wood strings and lead
It was released May 1982. I'm guessing the usual 80's suspects like Jupiter 8 and Juno 60/Polysix/Poly 61/MonoPoly, and maybe a Moog.
Keyboards/synths owned
Casio SK1/WK-7600
Yamaha PSR 19/PSR e443/MX49 Blue
iPad with Music Studio, Garage Band, FL Studio Mobile, and several VSTs, including iMini, iProphet, and iSEM.
Music Bird
Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Re: Synths used on Modern English album.

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:08 am

Stephen Walker used an Arp Omni on "I Melt With You" - probably more throughout the album, too.

Really like that album; simple, but effective.
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Micke » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:35 pm

If I'm not mistaken Stephen Walker was also using a Korg MS-20 , and possibly a Wasp, on the album "After the snow". Also, I've seen concert photos from early '84 where
he uses a Jupiter-8, Korg polysix and MS-20 on stage.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby paul.boos » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:16 pm

Hey re-opening this a bit...

Besides the square wave on Melt With You, there is a piano sounding part that is heavily effected. I was wondering if anyone has an idea what the effects are. I've always struggled to replicate this sound. It sounds a bit like gated reverb with a delay?

Thanks in advance!

Return to General Synthesizers