Novation Peak

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Novation Peak

Postby salwa » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Novation has new hybrid synth (digital oscillators and analog filters)

More info here.

Features
• Innovative New Oxford Oscillators using two waveform generating techniques: NCOs (Numerically-Controlled Oscillators) and 17 digital wavetables
• Pre-filter and post-filter distortion per voice, plus global distortion. Polyphonic aftertouch and linear FM. High-quality reverb, delay and chorus effects, and onboard arpeggiator
• Extensive modulation system, with 16-slot modulation matrix and 16 direct assignments controlled on the front panel. Three ADSR envelopes and two LFOs per voice, plus animate buttons
• CV modulation input for integration with modular systems
• Compact desktop module design with optional die-cast aluminium stand for positioning (not included)
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl
salwa

Re: Novation Peak

Postby supermel74 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:37 pm

This should sound incredible
supermel74

Postby BluMunk » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:55 pm

Watch on youtube.com
BluMunk

Gear: RD700GX
Korg M3-61/Radias
Dave Smith PER
Virus Snow
FS1R
JV-2080/Xpanded
D-550
Matrix 6R
Proteus
QSR
Band: Sneezeguard

Postby madtheory » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:29 pm

It's the polyphonic OSC Oscar, Chris Huggett finally got to make it :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby megamanx » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:23 pm

I will be buying this one
megamanx

Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Postby Walter Ego » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:06 am

And the Poly war has finally begun. Looks very promising.

And to think, it probably all started with the lowly Gakken.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Postby baz99 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:54 am

Is the price known yet?

This could tempt me away from my planned DeepMind 12 Desktop purchase if it's in the same price range.
baz99

Postby Hubaswift » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:35 am

baz99 wrote:Is the price known yet?

This could tempt me away from my planned DeepMind 12 Desktop purchase if it's in the same price range.
US $1,299 On the Synthtopia Page.
Hubaswift

Postby baz99 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:48 am

RRP or street price? If that's the street price then it's a bit on the high side, in that case I'll rather get the DeepMind Desktop for $899.

Edit: just noticed it's 1450 Euro in the UK based on the link inthe first post, that's way too much, I can't see Novation keeping the price that high for long, not with all the competition there is these days.
baz99

Postby Bitexion » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:31 am

And how do they choose to demo this new fancy synth? A bog-standard synth church organ, clavinet and some trance-hell from dutch dancehalls in 1998.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby meatballfulton » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Demos always include a few cliche sounds that people associate with other popular/expensive synths and then a few "gee whiz" sound FX to show off the modulation complexity. Just be glad they didn't play Lucky Man, On The Run or Baba O'Riley :roll:

24 mHz sampling is a fantastic idea, it should be alias free even with heavy audio rate modulations. 8 voices from just FPGAs is testament to how far that technology has come since it emerged 35 years ago.

Sounded good to me, but as usual I'm not in the market 8-)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby baz99 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:44 pm

meatballfulton wrote:24 mHz sampling is a fantastic idea, it should be alias free even with heavy audio rate modulations. 8 voices from just FPGAs is testament to how far that technology has come since it emerged 35 years ago.

Yes, but not when it's priced as high or higher than analog synths with similar or higher voice count. Analog voices are by definition alias free. :)
baz99

Postby Walter Ego » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:15 pm

baz99 wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:24 mHz sampling is a fantastic idea, it should be alias free even with heavy audio rate modulations. 8 voices from just FPGAs is testament to how far that technology has come since it emerged 35 years ago.

Yes, but not when it's priced as high or higher than analog synths with similar or higher voice count. Analog voices are by definition alias free. :)

Analog voices are also by definition wavetable free. :mrgreen:

Granted, there are only 7 but I bet it can do some great pads and choirs.

It costs more than the DM but it has some serious OSCar pedigree, is capable of poly AT, and is not trying to be a super-Juno. I like the idea of the DeepMind, but I'm still a little skeptical about calling it a true 12-voice. The Peak is also way cheaper than the announced Waldorf poly.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.

Postby baz99 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Walter Ego wrote: I like the idea of the DeepMind, but I'm still a little skeptical about calling it a true 12-voice.

Why would it not be a true 12-voice? :?

At the current price the Peak is almost priced like a P8 rev2 (1650€ vs. 1450€), and for that kind of money I'd choose the rev2 over the Peak.
baz99

Postby Walter Ego » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:35 pm

baz99 wrote:Why would it not be a true 12-voice? :?

Oh right. My badsies. I think I was thinking about the second oscillator, not the voice count. Point taken. Still, it doesn't feel like an outrageous price to me. I don't know if I would be able to afford one for some time, but I don't find that price too high for what is on offer. Seems like a really high quality instrument with real flexibility. At the same time, the Rev 2 is tantalizing for anyone with that kind of cash to spend.
Walter Ego
Walter Ego

Return to General Synthesizers