Kurzweil K2000: Original sounds or VP/VX sounds(K2500 Sounds

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Kurzweil K2000: Original sounds or VP/VX sounds(K2500 Sounds

Postby NCChao1268 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:50 pm

Was thinking of changing the EPROMS on my K2000, would you prefer the version 4 with original sounds(1-199) and orchestral and contemporary(800-999) or version 5 with newer VP/VX (K2500 Sounds) sounds with orchestral and contemporary with extra 600-799 in rom?
Please feel free to leave feedback,

Thanks,
-Nathan Chao
NCChao1268

Gear: Kurzweil K2000 fully upgraded
Roland Juno 106
Roland JX-8P
Korg DW 8000
Polysix
Alesis SR-16
Yamaha DX7

Re: Kurzweil K2000: Original sounds or VP/VX sounds(K2500 So

Postby knolan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:29 am

I have a K2500XS with all the upgrades (Piano, Orchestral and Contemporary ROMs, 128MB RAM, KDFX, P-ROM, Internal Hard Disk, Latest OS with KB3 emulation and K-Sounds Steinway Grand piano on board - and - it's an amazing work station still to this day.

I've barely scratched the surface with VAST and KDFX but hope to find the time in the coming year. Coupled to the excellent keybed, 2-ft Ribbon Controller and so on - just excellent overall.

But I've got to ask - don't you want the K2000 to sound like - a K2000? I have to admit to still want one of those too? Perhaps it's nostalgia as I remember when it was seen as a 'cut above' other workstations at the time - even the SY77 (though arguably the SY77, with AFM and RCM, has aged e tad better - but that's debatable).

Aren't there vast numbers of user programs out there for the K2000 - and if you upgrade - will you still be able to load those.

I suppose my main point is - although the K2500 is excellent, let's be honest - from a PCM sample point of view by today's standards, it's a minor improvement on the K2000. What's endearing to me about the K2500 is VASt, KDFX and KB3 (which is an excellent virtual organ) - so surely what you want to preserve is the 'character' of the K2000 in the best way it can be - so is that to keep it as a K2000, or to add those K2500 features you describe?

If I were making this call for myself I'd be leaving it as a K2000 - it's a true classic, in my opinion (and certainly more used in classic tracks, and more influential in the legacy / pantheon of pop/rock during its production era).
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby abruzzi » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:43 pm

As I understand, from a Brian Cowell posting elsewhere, the early K2000s shipped with a more synth oriented soundset in slots 1-199 originally. Later on, after the K2000 started being picked up mostly as a gig-workstation, the revised the 1-199 soundset to be more meat and potatoes kinds of sounds, and less showing off the synth engine. I don't know when this change happened, but I got into Kurzweil in 1997 with a K2vx, which had the later 1-199 and the same set as the K2500. Supposedly the original 1-199 became some of the "Farm" disks that can still be downloaded from Kurzweil. So, if you look for a listing of the original 1-199, you should be able to match them against the Farm disks, so you can try out the sounds before you commit to burning them to a ROM.

It is were possible (or is?) I'd burn some of the Brian Cowell collection to ROM. They're applicability is much more narrow, but I love them. They are more sonically interesting to me than most of the stock patches.
abruzzi

Postby jarris » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:19 pm

Hello!
This is a really interesting discussion. I have K2000VP and version 6. Would anywhere be the original version so I can compare these banks ?? I just need a .bin file.
Thank you for answer.
Greeting jarris
jarris

Postby DavidH » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:38 pm

I think that they are downloadable from Kurzweil's site under legacy keyboards. On my K2000's I had P/RAM so I could have all three sound sets on there together.

Now I have a K2600XS and I still have the original K2000 patches loaded in there for nostalgia.
DavidH

Gear: Hammond B3/122, MK1 Rhodes Stage, Farfisa Compact Duo/Binson Echorec2, Moog LP Stage II, Kurzweil K2600XS, Roland Super JX-10/PG800, Roland JD800, DX7

Postby Tekhed66 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:39 pm

abruzzi wrote:As I understand, from a Brian Cowell posting elsewhere, the early K2000s shipped with a more synth oriented soundset in slots 1-199 originally. Later on, after the K2000 started being picked up mostly as a gig-workstation, the revised the 1-199 soundset to be more meat and potatoes kinds of sounds, and less showing off the synth engine. I don't know when this change happened, but I got into Kurzweil in 1997 with a K2vx, which had the later 1-199 and the same set as the K2500. Supposedly the original 1-199 became some of the "Farm" disks that can still be downloaded from Kurzweil. So, if you look for a listing of the original 1-199, you should be able to match them against the Farm disks, so you can try out the sounds before you commit to burning them to a ROM.

It is were possible (or is?) I'd burn some of the Brian Cowell collection to ROM. They're applicability is much more narrow, but I love them. They are more sonically interesting to me than most of the stock patches.

Funny timing ... I just upgraded my K2000 to OS 3.87 a few days ago.... I'm pretty sure it's loaded with just the plain old stock 1-199 soundset.
I tried downloading the Brian Cowell soundset from an old website and one of the Program Bank zip files (bcprgm.zip) is empty (0 bytes) ... this are the files XPROG001 thru to XPROG014.
Does anyone have a working copy of these files and if you do, would it be please possible to get a copy from you?
And just out of interest, what are my options now that I've got OS 3.87... is there another OS that I can upgrade to or can I somehow get my K2000 to read patches from later K2xx synths.
thanks for your help.
Tekhed66

Gear: Roland JD-990
Roland JD-800
Roland XV-5080
Kurzweil K2000
Yamaha An1x
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Korg Volca Beats
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Postby NCChao1268 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:40 am

jarris wrote:Hello!
This is a really interesting discussion. I have K2000VP and version 6. Would anywhere be the original version so I can compare these banks ?? I just need a .bin file.
Thank you for answer.
Greeting jarris

Hi Jarris, my K2000 came as the VP with version 6 eproms with the K2500 presets (four pianos as the first four programs), I believe the only ways to change or obtain the original factory 1-199 preset bank is by changing the EPROM with an older version such as version 4 and older which contain the original K2000 factory programs (3rd World Order, Stereo Grand, etc). Or you can download from Kurzweil's website: http://kurzweil.com/product/k2000/downloads/ K2FACT 316KB is the file containing the original presets, though you have to look around the .KRZ files to find them.
Here is a link containing the K series presets: https://chrisarndt.de/files/kurzweil/ku ... ograms.pdf
You can also try this site for finding other programs also on Sweetwater: https://www.sweetwater.com/k2000/sounds.html Contains many great public domain programs for K2000 of analog sounds, strings, and some of the factory presets themselves I believe.

I went with changing the Eprom from the v6 VP presets to Version 4 containing the original presets with both roms.

-Nathan
NCChao1268

Roland Juno 106
Roland JX-8P
Korg DW 8000
Polysix
Alesis SR-16
Yamaha DX7

Postby jarris » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:47 am

NCChao1268 wrote:
Thank you for answer.
Greeting jarris

Hi Jarris, my K2000 came as the VP with version 6 eproms with the K2500 presets (four pianos as the first four programs), I believe the only ways to change or obtain the original factory 1-199 preset bank is by changing the EPROM with an older version such as version 4 and older which contain the original K2000 factory programs (3rd World Order, Stereo Grand, etc). Or you can download from Kurzweil's website: http://kurzweil.com/product/k2000/downloads/ K2FACT 316KB is the file containing the original presets, though you have to look around the .KRZ files to find them.
Here is a link containing the K series presets: https://chrisarndt.de/files/kurzweil/ku ... ograms.pdf
You can also try this site for finding other programs also on Sweetwater: https://www.sweetwater.com/k2000/sounds.html Contains many great public domain programs for K2000 of analog sounds, strings, and some of the factory presets themselves I believe.

I went with changing the Eprom from the v6 VP presets to Version 4 containing the original presets with both roms.

-Nathan

Hello NCCHAO!!
Thank you for your response. You very help me with the pdf document to orientate myself in audio sets. I have K2000 for a short time and I'm trying to get the most out of it. I have an EPROM recorder, so try different versions does not make me trouble. I know sweetwater.com. It's really cool. Even though there are some bugs in downloading, as a colleague wrote above. It's also a shame that there is no EPROM with all versions. If someone sent me .bin files with older versions, I would like to. I can offer myself the 6th version. I will try a bit of experimenting and I will give more experience.
thank you once again!!!
jarris

Postby NCChao1268 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:44 am

jarris wrote:
NCChao1268 wrote:
Thank you for answer.
Greeting jarris

-Nathan

Hello NCCHAO!!
Thank you for your response. You very help me with the pdf document to orientate myself in audio sets. I have K2000 for a short time and I'm trying to get the most out of it. I have an EPROM recorder, so try different versions does not make me trouble. I know sweetwater.com. It's really cool. Even though there are some bugs in downloading, as a colleague wrote above. It's also a shame that there is no EPROM with all versions. If someone sent me .bin files with older versions, I would like to. I can offer myself the 6th version. I will try a bit of experimenting and I will give more experience.
thank you once again!!!

Hi, I dug around the internet briefly and found this file which contains EPROM files for Kurzweils and other vintage synths, they are .BIN files but unfortunately cost ten dollars. http://www.musictechnologiesgroup.com/mtg_eproms.htm

This site contains them for free however they are .DAT in the one I downloaded for K2000 http://dbwbp.com/index.php/9-misc/37-synth-eprom-dumps

Hope this helps,
-Nathan
NCChao1268

Roland Juno 106
Roland JX-8P
Korg DW 8000
Polysix
Alesis SR-16
Yamaha DX7

Postby jarris » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:31 pm

Hello Nathan!!
Thank you very much for your effort and great willingness. Yes, both of these sites are known and the other one is absolutely super and very useful. However, it is important to check carefully. There are incorrect and incomplete files.
I am making backups of all EPROMs from my devices. I did K2000 too and I'm also trying to update to the latest version! I just missed that there are different sound banks in different versions. I do not have PRAM so far and so it might help me to change EPROM?!?!?! You helped me a lot in guiding the sound banks.
Thank you very much and I am the debtor for you!!
Greeting jarris
jarris

Postby NCChao1268 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:03 am

jarris wrote:Hello Nathan!!
Thank you very much for your effort and great willingness. Yes, both of these sites are known and the other one is absolutely super and very useful. However, it is important to check carefully. There are incorrect and incomplete files.
I am making backups of all EPROMs from my devices. I did K2000 too and I'm also trying to update to the latest version! I just missed that there are different sound banks in different versions. I do not have PRAM so far and so it might help me to change EPROM?!?!?! You helped me a lot in guiding the sound banks.
Thank you very much and I am the debtor for you!!
Greeting jarris

I am glad to be of help, good luck with your project of collecting the EPROM contents from electronic musical instruments into files for other use. Ebay also sells tons of Eproms for other synths and K2000 as well, not too badly priced. I myself don't know that much about .BIN files. These are the EPROMS that I bought for my K2000 which include the original 199 programs and compatibility for the Orch and Contemp Roms it even comes with an EPROM puller and good instructions. Seller is very friendly and willing to assist if you have any questions during installation. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KURZWEIL-K2000- ... SwnDxUqwG0 I bought my PRAM expansion from a man who made clones of the originals made by Kurzweil, they are much cheaper than the real ones. http://sampler-expansions.dxp.pl/

Best of luck,

-Nathan
NCChao1268

Roland Juno 106
Roland JX-8P
Korg DW 8000
Polysix
Alesis SR-16
Yamaha DX7

Return to General Synthesizers