Popularity of Korg N364/Korg M1/Yamaha DX7 in Latino music?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Music Bird
Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Popularity of Korg N364/Korg M1/Yamaha DX7 in Latino music?

Post by Music Bird » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:33 pm

Why are these particular synths so popular in Latino music? Especially the regional variants, like tejano, Cumbia, and that genre that uses the DX7 tuba.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.

mis psiquicios y yo

Re: Popularity of Korg N364/Korg M1/Yamaha DX7 in Latino mus

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:02 pm

Hi, I'm mexican and I really don't now why these synths are so popular among "música de banda" and all that stuff, but I think it's exactly the same as with another kind of music, like acid, why it is so important the TB-303? Because that's the "sound" of acid no? the 909 with house music, and so on. The tuba sounds of the Dx7, M1, etc is the sound of "música de banda".
mis psiquicos y yo
Moog Source
Emax rack
DX7 II FD-9-11-100
VFX-SD
Poly 800
Volcas Sampler & Keys
DotCom modular

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:06 pm

Most likely because those synths have presets "everyone" uses in the industry. They don't buy a Korg M1 because it's an awesome synthesizer, but because it does that sound or this sound.

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:23 pm

Bitexion wrote:Most likely because those synths have presets "everyone" uses in the industry. They don't buy a Korg M1 because it's an awesome synthesizer, but because it does that sound or this sound.

Maybe, but The thing is that in the case of the Dx-7 for a long time they used the tuba and brass presets only, in the Roland D-50 some kind of Keys preset I don't know the name. Much modern synths have that kind of presets, but there is something (for them) in the tuba and brass presets of those synths.
mis psiquicos y yo
Moog Source
Emax rack
DX7 II FD-9-11-100
VFX-SD
Poly 800
Volcas Sampler & Keys
DotCom modular

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:30 am

They don't want to look around for similar presets on newer synths, when everyone knows exactly what synth and soundbank the well-known sounds come from.

It's kind of like buying a D-50 only because Jean-Michel Jarre used it on Revolutions for very specific sounds.
Or indeed, paying $10000 for a Yamaha Cs-80 only to do bleeping slow brass sounds until the cows come home.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Probably, like anything else, the closer you (and your audience) pay(s) attention to the details, the more important the details are. To someone from the outside, the details might not seem that significant. Just like to those outside of the world of synths, keyboards are just keyboards, the CS-80 is just old, and all non-acoustic drums are a drum machine. For those inside the scene, the details matter. It's not arbitrary, and it's not laziness.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:02 pm

It's odd sounding music, to me. They seem to really like the sound of brass instruments with the mic shove right into the bell. That misses out on a huge range of tones and warmth of the brass.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:06 pm

On more than one occasion I've seen DX7's for sale locally that have all 32 internal presets overwritten with tuba patches. :lol: Cracks me up every time.
soundcloud.com/vectron

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:26 pm

Bitexion wrote:Most likely because those synths have presets "everyone" uses in the industry. They don't buy a Korg M1 because it's an awesome synthesizer, but because it does that sound or this sound.
Also the fact that these synths are popular, affordable and easy and available to purchase. They're not rare or expensive.

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:36 pm

madtheory wrote:It's odd sounding music, to me. They seem to really like the sound of brass instruments with the mic shove right into the bell. That misses out on a huge range of tones and warmth of the brass.
It's more to do with logistics and economics. They could have a full brass section, but that would involve hiring more musicians, and that might not be economically feasible. Also, a lot of these bands cover different genres, some are wedding bands that even do pop songs, so having a full-time brass section wouldn't be necessary if brass sounds are only needed for certain songs. For specialized ensembles like, say a Mariachi group, where all of their songs are done in that genre, then it is necessary to have live horn players.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Alex E wrote:On more than one occasion I've seen DX7's for sale locally that have all 32 internal presets overwritten with tuba patches. :lol: Cracks me up every time.
:o
elsongs wrote:It's more to do with logistics and economics.
You're saying they have to overdub to have a bigger ensemble? That has nothing to do with the mic position. The mic could still be placed further away to get more of the natural tone. And anyway, the stuff I heard has 400 million+ views on youtube. Money is not a problem!

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:05 pm

Look at this guy the DX7 is essential and the tuba bass makes the song.
mis psiquicos y yo
Moog Source
Emax rack
DX7 II FD-9-11-100
VFX-SD
Poly 800
Volcas Sampler & Keys
DotCom modular

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer