Multivox synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cornutt
Gear: 6th

Multivox synths

Post by cornutt » Thu May 04, 2017 9:20 pm

I was not aware until yesterday that Multivox, the company that made cheap knockoff guitars and amps in the '70s, also made some synths at some point. Has anyone ever come across one of these beasts?
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Multivox synths

Post by meatballfulton » Thu May 04, 2017 11:29 pm

I've seen some string machines, organs, EPs and such but not for a long time. They also sold the Big Jam stompboxes and that goofy Firstman sequencer that shows up used now and then.

Their MX202 was a knockoff of the Roland RS202, the MX2000 was a knockoff of the Roland SH2000, hey they were the original Behringer! :lol:

Back before GC killed all the independent music stores in the USA, Mutlivox gear used to be easily found all dusty in the back of stores for peanuts 8-) I can't remember how any of them sounded, though.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Thu May 04, 2017 11:32 pm

Saw one of their electronic pianos a long time ago in a pawn shop, but never had a chance to play one. A lot of their stuff seems to have been rebranded versions of equipment originally sold under the Hillwood and Firstman brands in Japan.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

AdamAnt316
Gear: Mattel Optigan 35012
Farfisa Compact
Hammond M
ARP Solus
Korg Poly 800
Triadex Muse
Casio SK-1/SK-5/SK-8
Too many others to list
Band: Dr. Optigan

Post by AdamAnt316 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:42 am

The only Multivox gear I have is a MX-2 Fullrotor rotating speaker simulator. Although not as nice as some of the more modern Leslie speaker simulators, it seems to do a decent enough job, as heard in my "Tomorrow Never Knows" cover. I've also seen at least one of their electronic pianos for sale, but the sound it produced didn't seem to match the asking price.
-Adam

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Fri May 05, 2017 3:38 am

I went to various southern California music stores around 1980 looking for a particular Multivox keyboard to try out and nobody carried the brand. After I told a salesman at one store that I couldn't find them anywhere he said that should tell me something about the product. He said Multivox was a company they were not happy with. I'm guessing the line was more prevalent on the east coast of the US although I've never actually seen one in the 25 years I've been here. Apparently there is little interest from Synth collectors.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Fri May 05, 2017 5:09 am

I have a custom-made MultiVox chorus effect in a case the size of a clockradio. The effect comes from an old organ that was about to be trashed, and was thus 'transplanted' by a technician.

One of a kind, R@R3, w000t! ;)
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri May 05, 2017 11:10 am

cornutt wrote: Multivox, the company that made cheap knockoff guitars and amps in the '70s, also made some synths at some pint.
I'm pretty sure they were not knock-offs, and were often not that cheap either. They were an importer AFAIK who rebranded other manufacturers stuff under license. The synths are all Korgs. IIRC Katoh mentions the deal in his autobiography, I'll check later.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri May 05, 2017 12:29 pm

You're confusing Multivox with Univox (Unicord), who were the US importer of Korg and Marshall amps. Korg later bought the company.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Fri May 05, 2017 1:35 pm

Did you check here ?

YouTube has a few videos of their synths in action, even the elsusive MX-3000
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri May 05, 2017 3:06 pm

meatballfulton wrote:You're confusing Multivox with Univox (Unicord), who were the US importer of Korg and Marshall amps. Korg later bought the company.

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Fri May 05, 2017 7:22 pm

For some strange reason, all the multivox synths i have seen in real life had the most yellowish keys I have ever seen in vintage synths.
It is all about sharing...