I have a soft spot for...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

I have a soft spot for...

Post by megamanx » Thu May 11, 2017 4:59 am

alright guys, this is for synths that are not perfect , limited, not collectible, legendary,s super expensive, but you have a soft spot for. In my case is my yamaha cs 5 as it was my first synth and I think it sounds great and has the coolest sample and hold (Imo). Looks like I picture synths should look like, minus the woodsides. It is build like a tank. Which one is yours?

sandwich

Re: I have a soft spot for...

Post by sandwich » Thu May 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Not a synth but the Korg DDM110!
A good friend let me borrow one for a few months and was the first drum machine I ever played with. I was only a kid at school at the time and was so chuffed to have some drums! I recorded as many tunes as I could with it whilst I had it :D I suppose its just nostalgic value and fond memories :)

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Thu May 11, 2017 3:56 pm

That was my first drum machine! I hated it but then it was 1988!
I don't think I have a soft spot for anything non legendary.
GC

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu May 11, 2017 5:42 pm

All things Casio.

I have three CZ-101s, now, so I just need one more. I have a CZ-5000 and an RZ-1. I even have the TB-1 MIDI thru box. There's just something about that drab color scheme and framed rectangular LCD screen that has become a part of me.

And then there's the toys...MT-68, CT-410V, SK-1, SK-5 and VL-1(X2) and a Rapman. I even got a Casio mini-tv just for looks.

So...yeah, I have a soft spot, you might say. :mrgreen:
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri May 12, 2017 1:00 pm

pAiA 9700, my first modular 12 years ago. I've owned three over the years.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Fri May 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Without a doubt my Korg Poly 800, I have had two of them, and one Poly 800 II. If you respect it's limitations and like ambient sounds it's a revelation of a synth.

Another cheapo soft spot, Alesis HR 16. A great, great drum machine that you can get for peanuts.
mis psiquicos y yo
Moog Source
Emax rack
DX7 II FD-9-11-100
VFX-SD
Poly 800
Volcas Sampler & Keys
DotCom modular

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:26 pm

http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/dw6000.php

The sweetest strings ever, and a window rattler of a bass machine.
Herrare umanum est.

AdamAnt316
Gear: Mattel Optigan 35012
Farfisa Compact
Hammond M
ARP Solus
Korg Poly 800
Triadex Muse
Casio SK-1/SK-5/SK-8
Too many others to list
Band: Dr. Optigan

Post by AdamAnt316 » Sat May 13, 2017 5:05 pm

Walter Ego wrote:All things Casio.

I have three CZ-101s, now, so I just need one more. I have a CZ-5000 and an RZ-1. I even have the TB-1 MIDI thru box. There's just something about that drab color scheme and framed rectangular LCD screen that has become a part of me.

And then there's the toys...MT-68, CT-410V, SK-1, SK-5 and VL-1(X2) and a Rapman. I even got a Casio mini-tv just for looks.

So...yeah, I have a soft spot, you might say. :mrgreen:
+1. Oh, so much +1. I've been accumulating Casios for the past decade-plus. My first keyboard instrument ever was a PT-12, which was basically a PT-1 in a different box, which was basically a VL-1 in a different box. I got it when I was a kid, and I was never a huge fan of it since it seemed extremely limited (monophonic, only four cheesy presets, and several cheesy rhythms which were hard to trigger). I goofed with it for a number of years, and then put it away.

Several years later, I found an SK-8 at a flea market for $5, and not only did it have sampling capabilities, It had five-note polyphony! Soon after, I acquired an SK-5 from another flea market, and it's been downhill from there. The nice(?) thing about Casio keyboards is that they're still fairly easy to find at yard sales, flea markets, and whatnot; many of them are newer models which I don't find too interesting, but there are still a few pseudo-diamonds in the rough, often for fairly cheap money. Here is a listing of the models I've acquired as of this writing:
  • Casiotone 403
  • Casio CT-102
  • Casio CT-310
  • Casio CT-630
  • Casio CT-810
  • Casio HT-700
  • Casio ML-81
  • Casio MT-68 (x2)
  • Casio MT-70
  • Casio MT-100
  • Casio MT-207 (as Realistic Concertmate 700)
  • Casio MT-240
  • Casio MT-520
  • Casio SA-65
  • Casio SK-1 (x3, one as Realistic Concertmate 500)
  • Casio SK-5 (x2, one as Realistic Concertmate 650)
  • Casio SK-8
  • Casio PT-12
  • Casio PT-80
  • Casio PT-100
  • Casio VL-1

jxalex
Gear: enough

Post by jxalex » Mon May 15, 2017 10:40 pm

hm, do computer synthesizer/wavetable soundcards count? Roland RAP-10 (onboard hardware chorus and reverb which does not cause CPU hog) and Gravis Ultrasound in this case becouse of the triggering ability by software.

justin_havu
Gear: Korg 01/W Pro X, Kurzweil PC2x, K2000VP, Alesis Quadrasynth, QS6.2, Roland JV-80, D-10, D-110, Custom-built PC running Sonar X2
Band: Trial By Faith

Post by justin_havu » Tue May 16, 2017 12:01 am

Yamaha Portasounds, notably the PSS-270. It was one of the first instruments I learned on, back in the late 80's, early 90's.
Waveforms, and filters, and knobs. Oh my!

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed May 17, 2017 11:16 am

My soft spot right now is more into using any synth with miraculous processors..so curious about the upcoming Eventide H9000, also the new take from Lexicon, Bricasti, Kurzweil, Sony, etc in a modern creative - modular multi-fx with computer integration. Nowadays I prefer this route using ITB plugins. But I really like to follow the development in this area, pity that most of the hardware companies are not doing it anymore. But so glad that plugins are becoming better and better in the last several years. I love using simple, cheap sounding and far from perfect synths with that and usually got a more musical result instead of trying so many different synths.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Wed May 17, 2017 3:11 pm

I also have a soft spot for the Yamaha Portasound keyboards. I currently own a PSS-480 and a VSS-30, but I have also owned a PSS-470 and a PSR-16. There's something about that gritty two-op FM sound that takes me back to the days of playing MSDOS games and Sega Genesis. Also, there is the "synthesizer fart" which can be executed quite well with an analog synth, but a "synthesizer shart" must be carried out with an FM synth. There's no other way.

Currently looking for a DSR-2000, if anyone has a lead let me know!
Comparison is the thief of joy.

AdamAnt316
Farfisa Compact
Hammond M
ARP Solus
Korg Poly 800
Triadex Muse
Casio SK-1/SK-5/SK-8
Too many others to list

Post by AdamAnt316 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:17 am

Kenneth wrote:I also have a soft spot for the Yamaha Portasound keyboards. I currently own a PSS-480 and a VSS-30, but I have also owned a PSS-470 and a PSR-16. There's something about that gritty two-op FM sound that takes me back to the days of playing MSDOS games and Sega Genesis.
That's actually no mistake, as the YM3812 sound chip used in the Yamaha PSS-470 was also used in various sound cards, including SoundBlaster. Similar Yamaha sound chips were used in the Sega Genesis (YM2612) and Neo Geo (YM2610) game systems, among others. Here is a video detailing the similarities:

justin_havu
Gear: Korg 01/W Pro X, Kurzweil PC2x, K2000VP, Alesis Quadrasynth, QS6.2, Roland JV-80, D-10, D-110, Custom-built PC running Sonar X2
Band: Trial By Faith

Post by justin_havu » Fri May 19, 2017 10:40 pm

Rather interesting video. Makes me want to start collecting these keyboards. They may not be pro-level, but they sure look fun to play around with, especially when running them through various effects, stompboxes, etc.
Waveforms, and filters, and knobs. Oh my!

AdamAnt316
Farfisa Compact
Hammond M
ARP Solus
Korg Poly 800
Triadex Muse
Casio SK-1/SK-5/SK-8
Too many others to list

Post by AdamAnt316 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:22 am

justin_havu wrote:Rather interesting video. Makes me want to start collecting these keyboards. They may not be pro-level, but they sure look fun to play around with, especially when running them through various effects, stompboxes, etc.
They do pretty well on their own. I was playing with my PSS-470 last night, and was getting all sorts of weird 'swishy' effects when I applied the 'Digital Synthesizer' section to certain presets. Most interesting was when it was used on the ones that usually fade out on their own, like 'Harpsichord' and 'Blues Synth', to remove their fade-out decay (not all such presets could have this entirely taken away), resulting in a sound entirely unlike the base preset. Almost as though 'messing with the natural order' throws the entire preset into chaos. :P
-Adam

EDIT: Now with samples! Each one consists of one note for each DSS change (with vibrato added after the last change), then a quick & dirty rendition of "Fanfare for the Common Man":

Cosmic (Normal=>Wave=>Spectrum=>Modulation=>Decay)

Harpsichord (Normal=>Wave=>Spectrum=>Modulation=>Decay)

Electric Piano (Normal=>Wave=>Spectrum=>Modulation=>Attack=>Decay) plus versions of "Fanfare..." both with and without vibrato!