I have a soft spot for...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: I have a soft spot for...

Post by crystalmsc » Sat May 20, 2017 3:36 am

AdamAnt316 wrote:I was playing with my PSS-470 last night, and was getting all sorts of weird 'swishy' effects when I applied the 'Digital Synthesizer' section to certain presets.
Sounds cool, that's the magic of the old fm synth. Some people are experiencing more voodoo with the infamous battery draining effect. Love my PSS-560/570 and Casio SA-20/35/VL-1 for their charm, especially when being used through fx.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sat May 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Everybody knows I have a soft spot for the Juno-106, in spite of everything. I guess because it was my first synth, but also because I had a lot of good times with it when I was in a band.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

AdamAnt316
Gear: Mattel Optigan 35012
Farfisa Compact
Hammond M
ARP Solus
Korg Poly 800
Triadex Muse
Casio SK-1/SK-5/SK-8
Too many others to list
Band: Dr. Optigan

Post by AdamAnt316 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:42 am

crystalmsc wrote:
AdamAnt316 wrote:I was playing with my PSS-470 last night, and was getting all sorts of weird 'swishy' effects when I applied the 'Digital Synthesizer' section to certain presets.
Sounds cool, that's the magic of the old fm synth. Some people are experiencing more voodoo with the infamous battery draining effect. Love my PSS-560/570 and Casio SA-20/35/VL-1 for their charm, especially when being used through fx.
Yeah, the swishy' effect I noticed is mainly from applying the vibrato effect to drastically-altered presets. Works to great effect with some sounds, but not so much with others. As for charm, yeah, these toy-like Casios and Yamahas have that in spades, even when un-effected. Here are a couple of examples from some of my smaller Casios, with all 'effects' applied from the keyboards themselves:

Casio MT-68:
Casio MT-520:

And for another example of messing with the presets on the PSS-470, here's a theme for a non-existent horror movie, courtesy of a modified version of the Cosmic sound: (EDIT: New (quasi-)improved version!)
Last edited by AdamAnt316 on Tue May 23, 2017 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Mon May 22, 2017 5:15 pm

It's probably no secret that I have a soft spot on Wavestation. In fact I love this synth to death and use it despite Motif XF taking over the most recording, even despite its flaws.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Mon May 22, 2017 7:20 pm

AdamAnt316 wrote:And for another example of messing with the presets on the PSS-470, here's a theme for a non-existent horror movie, courtesy of a modified version of the Cosmic sound:
Gotta love that Cosmic preset. I used to have a PSS-570. Lovely sound.

My favorite Casio preset on the MT-68/CT-410V has to be, coincidentally, the "Cosmic Tone" preset. It sounds out of the world on the 410V with the chorus, filter, vibrato and "reverb" engaged.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Thu May 25, 2017 9:44 pm

http://glacieracademy.wordpress.com/201 ... ha-pss-480/

I wrote an article about the PSS-480 and that line of keyboards which I submitted to VSE, but I don't think they're updating the review section anymore. So, I just posted it on my blog.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

AdamAnt316
Farfisa Compact
Hammond M
ARP Solus
Korg Poly 800
Triadex Muse
Casio SK-1/SK-5/SK-8
Too many others to list

Post by AdamAnt316 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:57 pm

Kenneth wrote:http://glacieracademy.wordpress.com/201 ... ha-pss-480/

I wrote an article about the PSS-480 and that line of keyboards which I submitted to VSE, but I don't think they're updating the review section anymore. So, I just posted it on my blog.
Interesting article! Keyboards like that usually are a bit out of my remit; I generally feel that the ones with enough presets to need a keypad to select 'em have sacrificed some level of playing spontaniety; also, their presets tend to try a bit too hard to sound like the original instruments, which I feel loses some of the fun of the ones which only try to be a crude approximation thereof.

It's nice to see that yours allows for some modification of the sounds; Yamaha seems to have hung onto this capability longer than Casio did on most of their home models. I've been enjoying the "Digital Synthesizer" section on my PSS-470 quite a bit lately; I originally thought that it was a neat feature, but the fact that it can also be used to alter the existing presets brings it to a whole new level, IMO.

Anyway, for your listening pleasure, here's a new version of the "Cosmic Horror" imaginary movie theme, played a bit more slowly than the above version:

Dezb1
Gear: Microbrute
Volca Keys
Yamaha VSS-200
Yamaha PSS-470
Casio HT-700
Monotron Delay
Stylophone

Post by Dezb1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:06 am

First Post, thought it'd be better to resurrect a thread than start a new one:

I'm primarily a guitarist but haven't been in the market for any new guitars lately as I sold a load off last year and paired down to 4 electrics that cover all my needs, however...

To fill the buying void I seem to have developed a cheap synth fetish and it has struck again, was through a my mates setting up the gretsch he got from his local crack converters so I thought I'd pay a visit to said shop on the way home and ended up buying a Casio HT-700. My 3rd acquisition in the past month, while it's a much cheaper pastime than buying guitars (the 3 synths have cost me just over £70) they do take up a fair bit of space, need to put up some new studio shelving to house them ... I'll post some pics of the Ht-700 once I've cleaned it up it's currently on the bench in the garage.

Previous purchases were:

Yamaha VSS-200 8 bit sampling keyboard (a replacementfor my first ever instrument)

And a Yamaha PSS-470 digital synth (a sort of ghetto DX7)

Then the Casio HT-700

Pic to follow

Glad I'm not the only one that digs these old 80s machines... my band mates think I'm nuts.
Last edited by Dezb1 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

AdamAnt316
Farfisa Compact
Hammond M
ARP Solus
Korg Poly 800
Triadex Muse
Casio SK-1/SK-5/SK-8
Too many others to list

Post by AdamAnt316 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:56 am

Dezb1 wrote:First Post, thought it'd be better to resurrect a thread than start a new one:

I'm primarily a guitarist but haven't been in the market for any new guitars lately as I sold a load off last year and paired down to 4 electrics that cover all my needs, however...

To fill the buying void I seem to have developed a cheap synth fetish and it has struck again, was through a my mates setting up the gretsch he got from his local crack converters (posted pics ages ago) so I thought I'd pay a visit to said shop on the way home and ended up buying a Casio HT-700. My 3rd acquisition in the past month, while it's a much cheaper pastime than buying guitars (the 3 synths have cost me just over £70) they do take up a fair bit of space, need to put up some new studio shelving to house them ... I'll post some pics of the Ht-700 once I've cleaned it up it's currently on the bench in the garage.

Previous purchases were:

Yamaha VSS-200 8 bit sampling keyboard (a replacementfor my first ever instrument)

And a Yamaha PSS-470 digital synth (a sort of ghetto DX7)

Then the Casio HT-700

Pic to follow

Glad I'm not the only one that digs these old 80s machines... my band mates think I'm nuts.
Very nice! Your PSS-470 is a LOT cleaner than mine, which has been adorned with stickers and a nice coating of grime. I'd like to play around with one of the VSS series Yamahas at some point, to see how it compares to Casio's SK series of samplers. As for the HT-700, I've been pleasantly surprised by mine. Quite versatile compared to the 'toys' Casio was cranking out by the thousands at that point. They made dumbed-down versions like the CT-630 with similar sounds, but little to no variation possible (and a blatantly covered-over RAM card slot on the front!).

And yeah, there's much fun to be had with the consumer-oriented '80s synths. I recently acquired a Technics SX-K700, and it's quite the wondrous machine! Lots of Casio-style effects (albeit a year or two before some of them appeared on Casio's offerings), and some manner of patch editing as well. Here are some quick samples of it in action:

Dezb1
Volca Keys
Yamaha VSS-200
Yamaha PSS-470
Casio HT-700
Monotron Delay
Stylophone

Post by Dezb1 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:06 am

The VSS is great it has a sample line in on the back so you don't just have to rely on the built in mic not sure if the Casio's have this.

The pss 470 was considerably more grimy when I bought it spent a couple of hours cleaning it up... my HT-700 will be going to the cleaners on my day off tomorrow.

DocDeF4U17
Gear: Yamaha Clavinova CLP-250 with missing legs, Yamaha PSS-470, Korg ElectribER-1

Post by DocDeF4U17 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:14 am

Real Pianers :D
If you make good music outside, animals will visit

Dezb1
Volca Keys
Yamaha VSS-200
Yamaha PSS-470
Casio HT-700
Monotron Delay
Stylophone

Post by Dezb1 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:26 pm

DocDeF4U17 wrote:Real Pianers :D
Too heavy to carry and I can never work out where the batteries go...

tcats

Post by tcats » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:06 am

Teenage Engineering's Pocket Operators. Some people think they're toys, but I definitely dig them. Composed to soundtrack to an indie game we did for school with the arcade, rhythm, and sub exclusively:
https://soundcloud.com/thomas-castleman ... lion-alpha

Dezb1
Volca Keys
Yamaha VSS-200
Yamaha PSS-470
Casio HT-700
Monotron Delay
Stylophone

Post by Dezb1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:40 pm

tcats wrote:Teenage Engineering's Pocket Operators. Some people think they're toys, but I definitely dig them. Composed to soundtrack to an indie game we did for school with the arcade, rhythm, and sub exclusively:
Cool sounds... Will have to take a closer look at these

tcats

Post by tcats » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:30 am

Dezb1 wrote:
tcats wrote:Teenage Engineering's Pocket Operators. Some people think they're toys, but I definitely dig them. Composed to soundtrack to an indie game we did for school with the arcade, rhythm, and sub exclusively:
Cool sounds... Will have to take a closer look at these
Glad you like! The tonic has the most unique sounds, imo. Check the thread I made on it for a demo if you like.