Sony DPS-M7 & DPS-F7, and other double-personality devices

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
SerialSinger
Band: Alphataurus

Re: Sony DPS-M7 & DPS-F7, and other double-personality devic

Post by SerialSinger » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:22 pm

Here is the full tutorial for my DPS-M7F modding!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bvfyrcehcj0r ... t.pdf?dl=1

Here are the double binaries ready to burn, in two versions: the first one is actually on my unit, with the M7 code in the lower memory and the F7 code in the upper memory; the other is reversed (F7+M7). Read instructions for details.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xppsxojedknys ... 9.bin?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9j1gabc4udzf ... 9.bin?dl=0

Let me know if you do this mod for you!

spock
Gear: Broadwood 1910 piano, Tibetan singing bowls, gongs, African drums, percussion, Suzuki tone chimes, koncovka flute, Wurlitzer Brasshorn, Nagard 5002C

Post by spock » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:16 pm

SerialSinger wrote:Status update: I'm finishing to write the document explaining the modification for the dual unit, including some useful pictures; I think I will release it on next weekend or immediately after.
Thanks for the extended info - this thread is rapidly becoming a treasure trove of new knowledge!

I've never owned or used an EPROM burner, but I guess it can't be that hard. Can anyone recommend a good one? [Maybe start a new thread if too OT here]
SerialSinger wrote:And now a help request: is there anybody here who can provide a service manual / schematic of the DPS-M7? That would be critical for the advance of the comparison between the two different generations of Sony units.
Crossing my fingers...
Sorry, I only have a Service Manual PDF for the R7 (I never found any others but haven't searched recently). I just have Owner's Manual PDFs for all four DPS-*7 models, which all have a basic schematic block diagram on the final page, but that may be too general for your needs (although the M7 one is more detailed than the others).

Are these old manuals out of copyright yet, BTW? I actually paid money for them many years ago to some Manuals website who probably own about as much of the copyright as I do. Unlike many vintage gear companies, Sony still exists.
JP-6+Europa+TR-707 JX-3P+PG200+DR-55 Stradivarius Godwin PE-2000 SQ80 uWave VZ-1 CZ-101
126 565 H949 InstantPhaser Wersivoice SuperPrimeTime Vortex DPS-R7+F7 MU-R201+L021 M1-XL
D2 S3200XL dbx Palindrometer DB8000S Tango24 HDSP BCR2000 Ardour Debian Linux

spock
Gear: Broadwood 1910 piano, Tibetan singing bowls, gongs, African drums, percussion, Suzuki tone chimes, koncovka flute, Wurlitzer Brasshorn, Nagard 5002C

Post by spock » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:11 am

SerialSinger wrote:Here is the full tutorial for my DPS-M7F modding!

Wow, Claudio - what an awesome writeup! :D 8-) :geek: :ugeek:
That is better documentation than many manufacturers manage... :roll: :oops:
JP-6+Europa+TR-707 JX-3P+PG200+DR-55 Stradivarius Godwin PE-2000 SQ80 uWave VZ-1 CZ-101
126 565 H949 InstantPhaser Wersivoice SuperPrimeTime Vortex DPS-R7+F7 MU-R201+L021 M1-XL
D2 S3200XL dbx Palindrometer DB8000S Tango24 HDSP BCR2000 Ardour Debian Linux

SerialSinger

Post by SerialSinger » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:21 am

spock wrote:
SerialSinger wrote:Here is the full tutorial for my DPS-M7F modding!

Wow, Claudio - what an awesome writeup! :D 8-) :geek: :ugeek:
That is better documentation than many manufacturers manage... :roll: :oops:

Hahahaha!!! Thank you Spock! :lol:

Yes, the only full service manual available online for free is the R7 one; then there is the small one for F7:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cllitx04iok7 ... l.pdf?dl=1
This is the document that started my project.

I also found all the 4 users manuals for free.

I asked a friend of mine to burn the EPROM for me; I'm sure that there are some fine chinese burners for sale at low prices, to be connected via USB to a PC for using their software tools.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:50 pm

These are available everywhere now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-MiniPro-TL8 ... 1092473435
Herrare umanum est.

Don Solaris
Gear: I got almost everything you would ever want.

Post by Don Solaris » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:56 pm

Excellent topic!

Few years ago i've burned D7 ROMs, installed them into R7 and while it booted, the effects just didn't work right. They were all working in single channel.

BTW does anyone know what was the latest OS version of the R7? I currently have 1.20 but somehow i vaguely remember a friend mentioning there was a higher OS available.

Also i remember a friend who had newer R7 asked me where is that cool Sony DRE preset? He couldn't find it in my unit which made me suspect that perhaps Sony at one point shipped R7 is another set of User presets and that he had that preset. I will visit a studio where that R7 landed and will examine the User content.

SerialSinger

Post by SerialSinger » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:59 pm

Don Solaris wrote: Also i remember a friend who had newer R7 asked me where is that cool Sony DRE preset? He couldn't find it in my unit which made me suspect that perhaps Sony at one point shipped R7 is another set of User presets and that he had that preset. I will visit a studio where that R7 landed and will examine the User content.
Don, in my maniacal archives of "stuff which maybe I will use one day" I found the dumps below, and I don't even remember (or took a note of) where I found them... Sorry for that.
And I don't even own (yet...) an R7 to try them out.

Having said that, I strongly suggest anybody who will download this archive to save all user presets of their R7 before shooting any of these files into its MIDI in! :mrgreen:

Here they are:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycw89sc9ockqm ... D.rar?dl=1

If someone will test these files, a feedback would be hugely appreciated.