Kurzweil K2000 USB/Floppy question

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Kurzweil K2000 USB/Floppy question

Postby Tekhed66 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi all

Well I caved in and bought another piece of old gear... this time a Kurzweil K2000. It has been upgraded to 64Mb SIMM memory, the screen has been replaced with a new ultra-bright blue screen and the built in SCSI drive has an odd assortment of samples from the previous owner ... it's running OS 3.52 Calvin (the latest version is 3.87) and all in all, it's in good condition.

What's bugging me is that the floppy drive has been replaced with a USB floppy emulator ... if I format a USB stick in the synth, it only allows me to format it to a max of 1.4Mb irrespective of the size of the stick. I've tried formatting the stick in my PC using various FAT formats but no luck ... the K wont read that format.

If I format the USB stick in the synth, I can read the stick on my PC (it comes up as a 1.4Mb drive) but any WAV files that I copy across isn't read by the synth.

I'm missing something here but I'm chasing my tail .... Does anyone know firstly if it's possible to format the USB to read in both the synth and a PC (to copy across files) and secondly, is part of the problem related to the old OS?

Any tips/advice from you Kurzweil guru's out there would be greatly appreciated ;)

ps - I have another problem with it recognising my external scsi Jaz drive but that's a question for another time (just giving you all a head's up!)

Thanks again.

PS - MODS: if this post should be in the HELP section, please feel free to move it.
Tekhed66

Gear: Roland JD-990
Roland JD-800
Roland XV-5080
Kurzweil K2000
Yamaha An1x
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Korg Volca Beats
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Re: Kurzweil K2000 USB/Floppy question

Postby Sonus » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:42 pm

Tekhed66 wrote: I've tried formatting the stick in my PC using various FAT formats but no luck ...

You have to prepare the USB stick with a format tool to access the 100 floppy disk block:

Sonus

Re: Kurzweil K2000 USB/Floppy question

Postby Tekhed66 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:13 am

Sonus wrote:
Tekhed66 wrote: I've tried formatting the stick in my PC using various FAT formats but no luck ...

You have to prepare the USB stick with a format tool to access the 100 floppy disk block

Thanks Sonus ... problem solved :D
Tekhed66

Gear: Roland JD-990
Roland JD-800
Roland XV-5080
Kurzweil K2000
Yamaha An1x
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Korg Volca Beats
Akai s5000