Your latest musical purchase

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Your latest musical purchase

Postby gcoudert » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:24 am

I have reasons to believe that the 'What's your latest musical purchase?' thread also disappeared following the recent spam attack.

I have just bought a Yamaha TX802 to quench my thirst for FM synthesis. I have owned a TX81Z, a DX7 Mk1, a TX7 and a DX7S in the past and I really miss them all so I thought that'd be the right thing to do as I can't afford a TX816. At this stage, I intend to use it as two 8-voice synths and for identical-but-detuned patches rather than for layering or 8-part multitimbral use but you never know, really. I am still looking for a JP-8080 so I can have a rompler/sampler, FM and (virtual) analogue combination. I also got a RAM cartridge for the TX.

From Google Images:

GC
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Re: Your latest musical purchase

Postby Mooger5 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:34 pm

A Roland JD-XA. Which I already sold!
Loved the digital section, found the analog too restrained. My Moog Rogue while not half as versatile, sounds more raw and wild.
Herrare umanum est.
Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby kulten » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:36 pm

Effect stomp boxes to improve the synths sounds : BOSS DD-7 Delay (multiple delay modes including a "Hold" mode wich is a great mini-looper) and FB-2 Booster/Feedbacker (boost, EQ, enhancer, overdrive).
a way of live : BOSS SYB-3 bass synthesizer

https://www.facebook.com/Kulten/

kulten

Postby AdamAnt316 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:18 am

I recently picked up a nice Technics SX-K700 keyboard at a flea market. At first glance, it seemed like a glorified Casiotone, but it offers quite a bit more, and is far more well-built than their consumer models. I have yet to fully plumb its depths, but it seems to have loads of potential (well, as far as a preset-and-auto-rhythm keyboard can), and came with lots of nice extras like a carrying case and dust cover. Here's a couple of samples of it in action, with every sound supplied by the K700, and no overdubs:

Here's a video of a Technics SX-K700 like mine:
Watch on youtube.com
Last edited by AdamAnt316 on Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
AdamAnt316

Gear: Mattel Optigan 35012
Farfisa Compact
Hammond M
ARP Solus
Korg Poly 800
Triadex Muse
Casio SK-1/SK-5/SK-8
Too many others to list
Band: Dr. Optigan

Postby AnalogKid » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:11 am

I'm not sure what this is. It says Synclavier on it. I got it a few weeks ago at my local Salvation Army thrift shop for $15. For some reason, the top is missing. I can get it to make a few sounds, but I don't know how to work the buttons. It does make a sound that sounds a lot like the beginning of the Michael Jackson song Beat It:

AnalogKid

Postby megamanx » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:59 pm

I bought a fender Johnny Marr Jaguar (black).
megamanx

Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Postby sam » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:12 pm

After years of working on studer desks I invested in a studer 169 for myself.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.
sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby gmeredith » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:07 am

I have two of those TX802's - they are absolutely fantastic. Except that I believe I have discovered a little known firmware bug. When you use the individual outs, sometimes the patches going to a particular allocated output socket changes to another output randomly. For example, if you have a bass patch coming out of ind output no.1, and other sounds allocated to other ind outputs, occasionally you'll get another patch sound burst over the top of that ind output channel - even if you've restricted the polyphony allocation on all the outputs to only 1 (monophonic). We had this trouble because we were using the TX as an all-in-one sound module running bass, synth sounds, synth lead, and a single sound out for a vocoder feed all on separate outs, and occasionally the vocoder feed synth sound would burst through one of the other outputs really loud and totally mess up everything. Not good when you're playing live. The only way to fix it was to switch it off and then back on again - again, not very good during a live performance. It has the latest firmware, too.
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine
gmeredith

Band: Warning Will Robinson

Postby Push-Pull » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:38 am

My last purchase:

Just changed the knobs for more comfort and fun.
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)
Push-Pull

Postby Tekhed66 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:34 am

I got weak-willed and bought a Kurzweil K2000 ... it was too good a price to ignore (well, I thought so anyway...)

It came with max 64Mb RAM, a 512Mb internal HD, USB-floppy emulator but no sampling option though I was so weak, I ordered the sampling upgrade off eBay and it will be here sometime next week. I can hook up my Jaz drive to it so storage isn't a problem.

I have plans to trick it out even more (latest OS and maybe the P/RAM option too)

No point in being the richest corpse in the cemetery ... I plan to go out penniless and coughing up blood on my keyboard like all of the other great composers from times past (not that I'm a great composer mind you but you know what I mean...) ;)
Tekhed66

Gear: Roland JD-990
Roland JD-800
Roland XV-5080
Kurzweil K2000
Yamaha An1x
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Korg Volca Beats
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Postby DocDeF4U17 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:46 am

I bought a Korg MFX guitar pedal, man what a steal and also a danelectro bacon n eggs, (my mad max amp)
These were cheap enough and I know ill get some good use out of them, but am already singing thru the mfx pedal which I forgot I was needing it for...
Image Image
If you make good music outside, animals will visit
DocDeF4U17

Gear: Yamaha Clavinova CLP-250 with missing legs, Yamaha PSS-470, Korg ElectribER-1

Postby madtheory » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:26 pm

AnalogKid wrote:

Why do people always line up the centre of the mod and pitch wheels? Do they actually like constant vibrato on every patch?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby desmond » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:45 pm

madtheory wrote:Why do people always line up the centre of the mod and pitch wheels? Do they actually like constant vibrato on every patch?

The wheel isn't necessarily routed to lfo depth. A lot of filmic types use them for volume/expression, for instance.
But looking a the state of that keyboard, where the mod is set is unlikely to alter the audio outcome that much! :)
desmond

Postby madtheory » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Or it's OCD ;)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby desmond » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:02 pm

madtheory wrote:Or it's OCD ;)

Or just an attention-to-details presentation aesthetic... ;)
desmond

Next

Return to General Synthesizers