Your latest musical purchase

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Your latest musical purchase

Postby Music Bird » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:44 pm

Yamaha MX49 electric blue edition, some of the greatest sounds I've heard in a synth.
Keyboards/synths owned
Casio SK1/WK-7600
Yamaha PSR 19/PSR e443/MX49 Blue
iPad with Music Studio, Garage Band, FL Studio Mobile, and several VSTs, including iMini, iProphet, and iSEM.
Music Bird

Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Postby gcoudert » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:47 pm

Roland JP-8080. Finally found a decently priced one:

GC
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Postby Rasputin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:05 pm

It's ungentlemanly to kiss-and-tell, but I couldn't help it -- Ensoniq SQ80-m sandwiched nicely in my rack.

Rasputin

Postby AGreatWhiteBird » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:19 am

I got myself a Yamaha CS-01 and a Yamaha Portasound PSS-480 on the same day. And boy do they go well together.

The CS-01 is a great little analog monosynth. It's so simple, and I love the way the filter frequency and amp drag themselves around in response to the Sustain part of the envelope.

The PSS-480 couldn't be more different, but it's such a great compliment. Tons of voices, real serious control over this beautiful and unique almost-fm 2-operator feedback/modulation synth section. It just makes sounds that I love, especially when you push it to the limits. And it makes great bursts of digital noise. This is really the only synth in the PortaSound line that offers up all the parameters of the chip, not on a silver platter, but more like a DX-7 does. One parameter at a time. So I'm hoping the parameters can all be controlled via midi, because with a control surface this could be an amazing little faux-fm synth.

They can both make great bass and lead sounds, but the CS-01 does a beautiful glissando and the PSS-480 just goes the distance with its weird glassy, brassy, terrible, beautiful textures. It can be so beefy, so dirty, so smooth, crazy, demure, for how limited and weird it is, it sure is powerful.

These two synths are so great! The CS-01 was $350 at Paul's Boutique in Toronto and the PSS-480 was $50 from a friend :D
AGreatWhiteBird

Postby justin_havu » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:58 pm

Got a DeepMind12 from the Bay for around $750. Amazing synth for the money.

Also got a beat-up, but fully-functional DX7 from a thrift store for around $200. The next step was to get my hands on a non-functioning unit, with a good-conditioned chassis and membrane panel, which I did, on Reverb for around $175 including shipping. Took the guts and the keybed out of the beat-up chassis, and transplanted that stuff into the much better-looking one.
Long story short, I have a DX7 in great shape, with some leftover parts, for $375.
Waveforms, and filters, and knobs. Oh my!
justin_havu

Gear: Korg 01/W Pro X, Kurzweil PC2x, K2000VP, Alesis Quadrasynth, QS6.2, Roland JV-80, D-10, D-110, Custom-built PC running Sonar X2
Band: Trial By Faith

Postby mmp » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Two Roli Seaboard blocks and an Organelle.
Michael McInnis Productions
www.mm-pro.com
mmp

Gear: VS VL-1 Varios VoyagerRME MinimoogD CS60 SY-2 Kronos M3X MW1 2600 PS3100 DV-800 Z1 Chroma XT Blofeld k5K PolyMoog Avatar MS20 PE-1000 P6 OB6 m4000d
Band: Iberquez

Postby gcoudert » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:47 pm

Not a new purchase as such but I have re-allocated my old trusty Yamaha 01X to the TX802 in order to use the latter's individual outputs and process them using the former's internal effects. I then send a stereo feed to the recorder.

The odd thing is, the voices of linked tone generators on the TX802 come out of their respective mono outputs alternately in a manner somewhat similar to the voice allocation process on analogue polysynths. For example, if I play a note repeatedly on the first four generators (linked for 8-voice polyphony), notes will come out of output 1 then 2, then 3, then 4, then 1, etc. Not that it is a problem, mind you, as I can link channels likewise on the 01X and save the settings. I was expecting all notes from linked generators to come out of a single output.
GC
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Postby madtheory » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:37 pm

That's a great idea. The Yamaha mixers sound great. My favourite effect is the "Symphonic" which is like a chorus that doesn't modulate, but it doesn't sound like a typical micro-pitch shifter either. It's just really nice and airy/ glassy. Perfect for FM sounds :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby gcoudert » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:29 pm

madtheory wrote:My favourite effect is the "Symphonic" [...]

I'll see if the 01X has it and I'll give it a try.
GC
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby pflosi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:37 am

Got a second D-LFO recently

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Peterson StroboPlus HD

Postby synthRodriguez » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:58 pm

Got one of these for better calibration range on synth setup procedures than what I have now.

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Brands of synths that don't start with a K.

Postby Dezb1 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:11 pm

ras_claat wrote:Wow! that really does look like it's in excellent condition.

It was, but is been sold on. Apparently they don't save the sounds you program in if you switch the power off...
Dezb1

Gear: Microbrute
Volca Keys
Yamaha VSS-200
Yamaha PSS-470
Casio HT-700
Monotron Delay
Stylophone

Postby AdamAnt316 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:18 pm

Dezb1 wrote:
ras_claat wrote:Wow! that really does look like it's in excellent condition.

It was, but is been sold on. Apparently they don't save the sounds you program in if you switch the power off...

That doesn't sound right. I know the later Casio SK-series samplers kept their samples in memory as long as the unit had good batteries installed (or a plugged-in wall-wart). I'd be surprised if the HT-700 didn't have internal memory which worked the same way. Of course, that may be why they included the RAM Card slot, as I know that was battery-backed.
-Adam
AdamAnt316

Gear: Mattel Optigan 35012
Farfisa Compact
Hammond M
ARP Solus
Korg Poly 800
Triadex Muse
Casio SK-1/SK-5/SK-8
Too many others to list
Band: Dr. Optigan

Postby Mooger5 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:50 pm

Emu VK+... nice set of Mellotron and Farfisa samples. Just the right sounds for early Berlin School :)
Herrare umanum est.
Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby abruzzi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:35 am

Rasputin wrote:It's ungentlemanly to kiss-and-tell, but I couldn't help it -- Ensoniq SQ80-m sandwiched nicely in my rack.

Did you build this, or buy it built?
abruzzi

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers