How Do You Play Synthesizers Through PC Speakers? What DAW?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
vixen
Gear:  
Roland JP-8000
Yamaha DX7s
Yamaha SY77

How Do You Play Synthesizers Through PC Speakers? What DAW?

Post by vixen » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:29 pm

Hello,

I just recently got a few vintage synthesizers, a Roland JP-8000, Yamaha DX7s (MKII), and a Yamaha SY77.

I got a iConnectivity mio USB to MIDI adapter. I'm trying to play my synths through my PC speakers. What software do I need to set this up, and is there a good tutorial for it?

I tried out Ableton demo and was able to get my Yamaha SY77 playing through the speakers, but then I changed some kind of setting or closed out of something and now I can't get it working anymore.

What DAW do you recommend for just playing through my PC speakers? I have Adobe Audition. Will that work?

TIA!

DocDeF4U17
Gear: Yamaha Clavinova CLP-250 with missing legs, Yamaha PSS-470, Korg ElectribER-1

Re: How Do You Play Synthesizers Through PC Speakers? What D

Post by DocDeF4U17 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:35 am

head phone jack? arent PC speakers the same?
If you make good music outside, animals will visit

vixen
Gear:  
Roland JP-8000
Yamaha DX7s
Yamaha SY77

Post by vixen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:40 am

DocDeF4U17 wrote:head phone jack? arent PC speakers the same?
Yeah, what size do I need? You got a brand recommendation? I read that Mogami makes quality cables.

Is this what I need? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mogami-GOLD-TRS ... 2951200979

How about if I want to upload patches to my synthesizer? Is MIDI Quest good for this?

DocDeF4U17
Gear: Yamaha Clavinova CLP-250 with missing legs, Yamaha PSS-470, Korg ElectribER-1

Post by DocDeF4U17 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:48 am

you need a keyboard amp check out behringers

vixen
Gear:  
Roland JP-8000
Yamaha DX7s
Yamaha SY77

Post by vixen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:01 am

DocDeF4U17 wrote:you need a keyboard amp check out behringers
But I got the sound to play with the USB to MIDI cable before... Why do I need an amp?

What is the easiest DAW to just play the synth through the PC speakers?

desmond

Post by desmond » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:13 am

MIDI does not carry sound.

You can either get an audio interface with at least 6 inputs (three pairs, one pair each for each synth) which will route their audio into the computer (and back out to the speakers), or get a simple audio interface with a pair of inputs and a small submixer, so you can plug the keyboards into the mixer, and the mixer output to the audio interface.

vixen
Gear:  
Roland JP-8000
Yamaha DX7s
Yamaha SY77

Post by vixen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:51 am

desmond wrote:MIDI does not carry sound.

You can either get an audio interface with at least 6 inputs (three pairs, one pair each for each synth) which will route their audio into the computer (and back out to the speakers), or get a simple audio interface with a pair of inputs and a small submixer, so you can plug the keyboards into the mixer, and the mixer output to the audio interface.
OK, do you have a link to something I should buy? Which is the better in terms of quality of sound and ease of use, and which is the cheaper route? The audio interface or the small submixer?

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:06 am

You have several options, buy a usb audio interface with multiple inputs, buy an analog mixer with a built in usb audio interface, or buy an analog mixer and a separate usb audio interface. For years I used a cheap yamaha analog mixer with an even cheaper behringer UCA202. Frankly I'd go ahead and get a mixer if I were you, just in case you end up getting another synth or two. I'm a bit wary of most behrhinger products, but my UCA202 has been a real trooper and has yet to die on me. I've heard a lot of complaints about behringer mixers though, so maybe its best to shy away from them. Also don't waste your money buying high end audio cables, there isn't any difference in sound quality, and the only factor mogami cables might have over hosa cables is durability, and in a bedroom studio environment I doubt such factors will mater. Lastly whats your budget?
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

DocDeF4U17

Post by DocDeF4U17 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:23 am

PC speakers sound like shet compared to a regular amp, only little scrubs play through pc speakrs who think their vangelis who got bored and decided to learn music on a program only minus the skill

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:07 am

DocDeF4U17 wrote:PC speakers sound like shet compared to a regular amp, only little scrubs play through pc speakrs who think their vangelis who got bored and decided to learn music on a program only minus the skill
Ok, this all a bit stupid. That being said investing in some monitors isn't a bad idea.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

vixen
Gear:  
Roland JP-8000
Yamaha DX7s
Yamaha SY77

Post by vixen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:24 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:You have several options, buy a usb audio interface with multiple inputs, buy an analog mixer with a built in usb audio interface, or buy an analog mixer and a separate usb audio interface. For years I used a cheap yamaha analog mixer with an even cheaper behringer UCA202. Frankly I'd go ahead and get a mixer if I were you, just in case you end up getting another synth or two. I'm a bit wary of most behrhinger products, but my UCA202 has been a real trooper and has yet to die on me. I've heard a lot of complaints about behringer mixers though, so maybe its best to shy away from them. Also don't waste your money buying high end audio cables, there isn't any difference in sound quality, and the only factor mogami cables might have over hosa cables is durability, and in a bedroom studio environment I doubt such factors will mater. Lastly whats your budget?
Thorough and informative post, Nuke!

If possible I'd like to spend no more than a $100. I think the analog mixer sounds like a good idea since I now own three synthesizers lol.

Do you have a product recommendation that you could link me to? If you say Behringer isn't that great, what is?

vixen
Gear:  
Roland JP-8000
Yamaha DX7s
Yamaha SY77

Post by vixen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:32 pm

DocDeF4U17 wrote:PC speakers sound like shet compared to a regular amp, only little scrubs play through pc speakrs who think their vangelis who got bored and decided to learn music on a program only minus the skill
My PC speakers have an amp, dude. They're THX 5.1 surround sound Logitech Z-5500 speakers with a 10" subwoofer and optical output! They're loud! :mrgreen:

Why wouldn't they sound good on PC speakers?

desmond

Post by desmond » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:48 pm

vixen wrote:Why wouldn't they sound good on PC speakers?
Because these things are a looong way from proper studio monitors, but if you're fine with them, that's fine.

vixen
Gear:  
Roland JP-8000
Yamaha DX7s
Yamaha SY77

Post by vixen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:52 pm

desmond wrote:
vixen wrote:Why wouldn't they sound good on PC speakers?
Because these things are a looong way from proper studio monitors, but if you're fine with them, that's fine.
So, can you recommend a great but inexpensive analog mixer with a link?

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:09 pm

vixen wrote:So, can you recommend a great but inexpensive analog mixer with a link?
What about an old Yamaha 01X? You can get one for close to nothing and it has 2 simultaneous send effects (incl. a built-in library of effects), compressor and EQ on every channel, motorised faders, 8 inputs and scene memories. You can pick one up for just over £100 these days. It's not analogue though.

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-01x
GC