The Future (?) of Access Virus

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

The Future (?) of Access Virus

Postby tripleflows » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi,

a fun post for today: a bit techie article about the possibility (or the lack of possibility) of a next Virus synthesizer.
https://synthmorph.com/blogs/news/acces ... -virus-ti3

tripleflows

Re: The Future (?) of Access Virus

Postby madtheory » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Very interesting. There are other factors though. The Virus has a very good name, it's well regarded. And there is a bigger market now for hardware synthesizers, than there was back in 1997. Perhaps they will build an "analogue" synth next?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby tripleflows » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:06 pm

madtheory wrote:Very interesting. There are other factors though. The Virus has a very good name, it's well regarded. And there is a bigger market now for hardware synthesizers, than there was back in 1997. Perhaps they will build an "analogue" synth next?

Hi,
the fame of Virus mentioned there:
"20 years of classic heritage and achieved a legendary status, characteristic and unmatched sound (especially with the TI). After 20 years, any Virus model is still a good choice to add some unique flavour to your songs.
A premium brand that deserves innovation instead of abandoning it forever"

I am not sure if there is a bigger market, but I bet this is mainly for the cheaper, real analog monophonic remakes, like Minibrute, Microbrute, Pulse, Subphatty, etc. and the modular Euroracks.
I doubt they will build a real analog, as they have the expertise in the digital technology, no know analog experience yet... but all these are just speculations :)
tripleflows

Postby Ashe37 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:56 pm

Small error in the story, Motorola wasn't 'acquired by Freescale', they spun off their chip design and fabrication unit as a separate company named Freescale.

Yep the current Symphony DSPs are dual-core and price-comparable with the old pricing of 56321 that was used in the TI2.
Flash RAM has gotten something like 10x cheaper since the TI2 came out, and 4x denser.
The current ARM CPUs are multicore and faster for the same TDP envelope as well. (thanks to the smartphone market)

So yes, they should be able to make a TI3 that is either cheaper, or had drastically expanded capabilities from the existing one, at the same price point.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby meatballfulton » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:07 pm

One other thing about ARM: they don't make CPUs! Rather they design CPUs and then license their designs to other companies to manufacture, usually adding other circuitry for their specific needs. That mfr than pays ARM royalties for each chip they make/sell.

In other words, if they wanted to Access could license an ARM core and then add circuitry specifically for their instruments and implemtnt them in FPGAs at very low cost compared to doing a custom chip design.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Ashe37 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:17 pm

There are already several arm+FPGA cores on the board i have seen, mostly for the embedded market.
Ashe37

Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Postby krzeppa » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:00 am

One thing that has me worried about the future of Access is the fact that their website has been virtually quiet for like 4 years. I hope this isn't any indicator that things are not going well. I love their stuff. I have a TI2 and an Indigo 1 and love them. I would hate to see them go away.
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Band: Where the Embers Fall

Postby Ashe37 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:20 am

when i went to NAMM (2014?) the Kemper booth only had then profiling amp thing, not a single virus. its like Kemper doesnt care....
Ashe37

Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Postby krzeppa » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:11 am

Ashe37 wrote:when i went to NAMM (2014?) the Kemper booth only had then profiling amp thing, not a single virus. its like Kemper doesnt care....

That's very disappointing.
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Band: Where the Embers Fall

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:28 am

They had a fairly big booth at Superbooth with a couple of grey TI2s on it.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Postby tripleflows » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:09 am

Access Virus Dark Cinematics Live Jamming - using 4 instances of Virus Powercore (4x16=64 voices), improvised and jammed with the Virus Dark Cinematic presets for about an hour.

All sounds were recorded straight to four Cubase audio tracks, then quickly top'n tailed the best parts, but no mixing and equalization took place. I wanted to keep the live feel, creating the slideshow was a fast action too.

Watch on youtube.com
tripleflows

Return to General Synthesizers