Digital or analog?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
patchnerd

Digital or analog?

Post by patchnerd » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:29 pm

The digital vs analog argument has been going on a long time, and in my mind it's not the same debate it used to be due to high bit/sample rates and cheap processors. With the emergence of 32bit audio and 64bit filters, can digital compete with analog in the synth world? What would convince an analog purist to buy digital?

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Digital or analog?

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:41 pm

patchnerd wrote:What would convince an analog purist to buy digital?
Nothing :lol:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Synthabator

Post by Synthabator » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:07 pm

All the new hardware is s**t. Built like s**t from China. And uninspiring. IMHO.

I will walk in music stores and gag at the quality of cheap components. All color lights, pretty, hipster, anyone can make music c**p.

There is value in old, broken in, worn out, analog wood cased synths. They allow for inspiration, challenge, historical archival of a time where strings and brass ruled the music scene. Today, the opposite is true. Plastic and intelligible Christmas tree toys seem to have littered the landscape with a belief that everyone is a musician-but they can not read music. Like every one is an artist-yet they can not draw a hand. Bull. Maybe I should die off like old synths! Until then, I will scream vintage is relevant and real. Now I sound like the purist musician of my time, making fun of the modernists with synth music breakthrough sounds. :o :o :o

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:23 am

my answer to 'digital or analog?' is "yes, please!"

but most digital hardware synths are using DSPs to process audio in 24-bit.

And no, Synth, not all of it is made in China. Look somewhere besides the crummiest Guitar Center you can locate.

Synthabator

Post by Synthabator » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:58 am

All the good music stores closed down. I know. Just that there's that.

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:17 am

In my area, for instance, i live equidistant between two GCs... one had... nothing, most of the time (tho i got my Command Station there for $200) the other one, at the moment, has in stock the new Mood Model D and an OB6, among other things.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:19 am

Ashe37 wrote:In my area, for instance, i live equidistant between two GCs... one had... nothing, most of the time (tho i got my Command Station there for $200) the other one, at the moment, has in stock the new Mood Model D and an OB6, among other things.
Woah which one has the Mini? Pasadena?
The one near me in Orange is terrible... The best thing there is a Minilogue, but I bought a Roland SH32 there a couple years ago for $150.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:28 am

Alex E wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:In my area, for instance, i live equidistant between two GCs... one had... nothing, most of the time (tho i got my Command Station there for $200) the other one, at the moment, has in stock the new Mood Model D and an OB6, among other things.
Woah which one has the Mini? Pasadena?
The one near me in Orange is terrible... The best thing there is a Minilogue, but I bought a Roland SH32 there a couple years ago for $150.
yeah, its the Pasadena store... last time i was there that had a mini and a OB6, had sold a prophet 6 recently, had a monologue and minilogue on display, etc. since they redid the keyboard/synth department they have been keeping up a lot better.

Hollywood used to be really well stocked but seems more interested in selling digital pianos now

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:01 am

Synthabator wrote:All the new hardware is s**t. Built like s**t from China. And uninspiring. IMHO.

I will walk in music stores and gag at the quality of cheap components. All color lights, pretty, hipster, anyone can make music c**p.

There is value in old, broken in, worn out, analog wood cased synths. They allow for inspiration, challenge, historical archival of a time where strings and brass ruled the music scene. Today, the opposite is true. Plastic and intelligible Christmas tree toys seem to have littered the landscape with a belief that everyone is a musician-but they can not read music. Like every one is an artist-yet they can not draw a hand. Bull. Maybe I should die off like old synths! Until then, I will scream vintage is relevant and real. Now I sound like the purist musician of my time, making fun of the modernists with synth music breakthrough sounds. :o :o :o
While I admit being wary of arturia and korg products these days, I loath the idea of owning a bunch of decaying analog relics. Whether you like it or not anyone can create music, just as anyone can make art. The question is whether or not such art or music is good, and of course thats all highly subjective. I actually think music these days has become overly polished and the great surge in crude DIY creativity that emerged during the late 70's has finally croaked. Also I'm sick of people labeling everything they dislike as "hipster". God I remember being on here a decade ago and all the endless bitching about why can't so and so manufacturer analog gear again. Here we are in 2016 and theres analog mono's being s**t out left and right and the moaning continues unabated. Currently I own one analog synth, my eurorack modular system and truthfully I kind of view that whole endeavor as a money sink. I actually prefer my nord lead and virus c for patch creation. Yeah, having tried analog I think I prefer digital. Ideally I'd like to always have access to an analog mono, but if push comes to shove I'm hanging on to my VA's and jettisoning the modular.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Tekhed66
Gear: Roland JD990
Roland JD800
Roland XV5080
Roland SH01A
Behringer DM12
Yamaha An1x
Studiologic Sledge 2
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Post by Tekhed66 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:00 am

Synthabator wrote: Plastic and intelligible Christmas tree toys seem to have littered the landscape with a belief that everyone is a musician-but they can not read music. Like every one is an artist-yet they can not draw a hand.
yes yes YES!!!!!!!

Whole-heartedly agree .... load a loop and push a few buttons ... why not whack something into the microwave and call yourself a chef while you're at it?

Nothing against digital gear... I've got load of the stuff myself but old gear makes you think and PLAY ... you don't have to be the next Wakeman et. al. but if you want a soulful piano riff, you have to work it out and practice until you can PLAY it.

I know this argument can be applied to any keyboard - analogue or digital - but I'm a grumpy old man so I'm allowed to have a rant :lol:

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:32 am

Hoo boy! Are we judging the looks of two similarly looking cars based on one having automatic transmission while the other has manual transmission?

It's now very much a debate about left-handed and right-handed hammers! :lol:

Oscillators and even filters are just parts of a synth, it's just a wee bit of the whole chain. How can the minute differences (nowadays) between such tiny components result in discussions about wooden edges, LED-lights, EZ-usage functionality 'n such?
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Synthabator

Post by Synthabator » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:46 pm

Again. My old man gasses emit freefully and without apology.

Perhaps my angst hinges more on the lack of connection to music and it's listeners. Music today is soulless. It's automated and self indulgent. It's beyond genre or type. The DIY industry of music has cheapened real works of art like fish net stockings on Mother Teresa. Indistinguishable.

Like fidget spinners, current culture toss and turn to distraction, hoping for substance and meaning.

Although I am intrigued with this Minilouge. Just wondering why an almost new one is on my city Craigslist for $300.

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:44 pm

Have to disagree completely on current music being soulless too, especially the stuff i listen to.

please explain how this is soulless.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:18 pm

Ashe37 wrote:Have to disagree completely on current music being soulless too, especially the stuff i listen to.

please explain how this is soulless.
100% agree - there is some truly awesome music being created out there...

Saw London Grammar live at Glastonbury with my jaw practically on the floor - that lass has the voice of an angel!!

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:34 pm

wow