New polysynth project - now with 8 voices & bitimbrality :-)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
alan partridge

Re: New polysynth project - now with 8 voices & bitimbrality

Post by alan partridge » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:14 pm

Some of the sounds in that first video are *fantastic* ! Brilliant ! If you mass produced this , and it turned out to be reliable, you'd have a synth and sound to compete with anyone on the market, no question . Are you going to start making it available for pre-order, or is it all a bit early for that ? I'm guessing it's not going to come cheap, either, with that level of features and sound :)

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:10 pm

Yeah, it might be still to early for preorders. I'm currently working on software for this - mostly on MIDI implementation and various utility functions. I'm also thinking how to squeeze multitimbral in it, as hardware is capable of it (each voicecard is complete separate synthesizer with its own CPU making all CVs), the only difficulty is making it accessible from UI.
Maybe I'll go with "remote multi mode" - meant for external control, so parts would be controlled by MIDI only (Program Change and Control Change). We'll see how it goes.

As for the price - it isn't set yet, but it should be significantly cheaper than SE 8 voice polys (Omega/CODE). Probably somewhere around 2500 EUR. As we cannot afford big upfront cost of ordering batch of machine-made PCBs, it will be handmade at order.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:19 pm

Sounds a great price for that quality of sound ! :,) Great luck with the project - at this rate I'll want to be at the front of the queue !

adamstan
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:22 pm

Another demo:

I decided to rewire VCO FM from exponential to linear, as it allows for better tracking.

Malmi315

Post by Malmi315 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:30 pm

Great ! Lovely ! Brilliant !

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:54 am

adamstan wrote:Here's quick photo of prototype with enclosure - final look should be close to that
To put it into a rack one has to remove wooden sides and put on rack ears instead. The panel is 5U.

More photos, demos and hopefully webpage coming soon :-)
Very cool! I can definitely foresee a market for these so I hope you are able to get it to that stage.
Do you even post on vse bro?

adamstan
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:03 am

We are (me and two my friends) working on another prototype. The version shown in above demo still isn't suitable for manufacturing - it needs some more mechanical changes, and another PCB revisions. If everything goes well, it will also feature 4 part multi mode (5+1+1+1 or 4xMono).

However, I'm starting to get a little worried, as - while I'm dragging with this project - bigger VCO poly market starts to get crowded with Korg Prologue, Baloran The River, and announced Shears Relic 6 as well as Behringer OBXa clone. When I started designing this synth 3 years ago, the only "big" VCO poly was SE Omega/CODE. There were new DSI six-voices (Pro6 and OB6), but I felt like I could compete with them with more extensive modulation (3 EGs, 3 polyphonic LFOs with multiple destinations and FM) and "looser" intonation (no background tuning), but now I'm not so sure anymore...

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:42 am

Don't get too worried Adam - your synth sounds better than almost anything else out there !

Really. :keys2:

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:59 pm

adamstan wrote:We are (me and two my friends) working on another prototype. The version shown in above demo still isn't suitable for manufacturing - it needs some more mechanical changes, and another PCB revisions. If everything goes well, it will also feature 4 part multi mode (5+1+1+1 or 4xMono).

However, I'm starting to get a little worried, as - while I'm dragging with this project - bigger VCO poly market starts to get crowded with Korg Prologue, Baloran The River, and announced Shears Relic 6 as well as Behringer OBXa clone. When I started designing this synth 3 years ago, the only "big" VCO poly was SE Omega/CODE. There were new DSI six-voices (Pro6 and OB6), but I felt like I could compete with them with more extensive modulation (3 EGs, 3 polyphonic LFOs with multiple destinations and FM) and "looser" intonation (no background tuning), but now I'm not so sure anymore...
Based on what your describing, it sounds like you will still have a very competitive project. The River is very expensive (and also only sold in Europe currently) and the others you mention are nowhere near being on the market yet. The "looser" tuning you mention is a big selling point against the P6/OB-6. Although the filters sound great on those, the rigid, DCO-like tuning is a major downfall (as is the lack of more than one LFO!) . Plus 8 voices vs. 6--6 is not enough for a professional polysynth.
Do you even post on vse bro?

adamstan
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:58 pm

Thank you guys for the words of encouragement :)

I'll tell you funny story regarding the tuning.

I was really baffled when I was troubleshooting the second set of voicecards. They couldn't keep in tune at all. Heck, the tuning was off almost right after autotuning (which, nevertheless, completed as it should). I was like "WTF?" :O They were drifting like crazy - semitone over few minutes, and pretty random at that. I double-checked expo converters, heating circuitry etc - and everything looked OK, yet oscillators were impossible to tune. Then I looked closer at the board and then it hit me - the guy who was soldering these (not me) had by mistake put ceramics as timing caps in VCO integrator! After replacing them with polyesters everthing was back to normal.

So if you want a VCO that will never stay in tune at all - just use X-class ceramics ;-)

Malmi315

Post by Malmi315 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:50 pm

Great project ! Great Sound ! Any news ?!

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:35 pm

Look forward to hearing any news ;.) Hope project is going well.