Kiwi-3P MIDI CC automation issue

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Kiwi-3P MIDI CC automation issue

Postby jobinho » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:43 pm

I've setup my Kiwi-3P with the Patch Editor but have an issue when automating the MIDI CC's in Ableton Live.

As soon as there's a sloped increase or decrease in the automation lane the 3P can't deal with it - straight lines are fine. I'm unsure if it goes into a midi loop but it works well until theres a ramp up or down then it freezes and changes other parameters. Maybe the data of the automation changing is overloading the 3P? This is the same whether using the Kiwi Patch Editor or going straight out of the 3P into my sound card - I've tested multiple midi cables and 2 interfaces.

My current MIDI routing is:
MIDI OUT from PE -> 3P MIDI IN
MIDI OUT from RME -> PE MIDI IN
MIDI OUT from 3P -> RME MIDI IN

As automation is critical to my workflow is there anything you can think of that may be causing this? I know it may be Live itself and will look to test in another DAW but thought I'd ask incase this has been resolved by anyone.

Any insight would be a big help!
jobinho

Re: Kiwi-3P MIDI CC automation issue

Postby jobinho » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:56 am

Bumping incase anyone can help.

it's only freezing and spluttering when the CC automation is drawn, not when I'm adjusting the CC params manually from my trackpad or Push.

Cheers
jobinho

Postby madtheory » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:11 pm

1. It appears you might have a MIDI loop. MIDI cc being recorded into Ableton from the PE, and again from Ableton out to the RME and back in to Ableton through the PE. I dunno, check the PE manual about Local Control On/ Off, or MIDI IN port filter settings?

2. In other DAWs there is an option to thin out MIDI events. I can't find if Ableton has this or not. Google shows a few forum threads about turning thinning OFF, implying it's on by default, and it seems to require manual editing of the code in the prefs file. Maybe that gives you something to go on?

3. Try asking the Kiwi people!
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.
Band: Minim

Postby jobinho » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:03 pm

Thanks for your input! The MIDI CC Automation is working fine in Bitwig and Logic X.

I've tested various midi settings and been in touch with Kiwi and Ableton.

No fix as of yet - if anyone has any hinters I'm open ears! Cheers.
jobinho

Postby soundshigh » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:52 pm

Hey, since I am researching about the JX 3P and the various mods available, just wanted to see if I understand - the issue is with MIDI CC automation only in Ableton, or with the KIWI mod in general?
soundshigh

Return to General Synthesizers