Novation Launch Control- User Templates?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Novation Launch Control- User Templates?

Postby madtheory » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi folks,
Considering one of these for controlling soft synths. Has anyone set it up with, say, Monark? Is it easy?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Re: Novation Launch Control- User Templates?

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:52 pm

I downloaded the editor (FYI it will run without a LaunchControl, so you can dl it and try it out yourself) and it is bare bones. It has a graphic representation of the controls, click on one and then fill in the fields. It's not automated in any way. So "easy" is relative to how much patience you have and what the MIDI implementation of the softsynth is like (and how well it is documented).

Knobs only send CCs. Pads can send either CCs or notes. Each control is limited to a single MIDI channel, which could be a problem. As far as I could tell in a two minute look there is no paging, so if you need more than 16 knobs and eight buttons to control your device you need multiple templates. I suggest reading the LaunchControl manual to see how what knob pickup modes are offered, I saw nothing in the editor.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby madtheory » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:58 pm

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. So what is this plugin wrapping business? I might just ask Novation support, they're incredibly helpful.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:04 pm

You mean like Automap? LaunchControl doesn't support Automap, in fact I think Novation is phasing it out...it's about a decade old now so 1000 years old in digital years :lol:

Are you familiar with how VSTs present parameters to a DAW? In some DAWs like Ableton Live you can view the list directly. Automap reads the VST parameter list and assigns each parameter to a control on the Automap device. It is only semi-intelligent. It can assign controls to buttons that should be assigned to knobs and voice versa. It also assigns them in the porder they are in the list. So if say filter cutoff and resonance are not adjacent in the list, they won't be on adjacent controls. The Automap wrapper can be edited further through a GUI or in a text editor (the template is just text). I have found that you always need to edit the wrapper after it is generated. This is not difficult, but it takes time and needs to be done for each controller you plan to use with each softsynth. I suggest you watch some Novation tutorial videos to see how this works (they do not explore the text editing, though).

Here's an example wrapper file. The VST is the Camel Crusher compressor.

As you can see, it has 7 knobs and 5 buttons. I used Automap to wrap this for my Nocturn controller which has 8 endless encoders and eight buttons. So this is a simple device that maps easily to the available controls. If I had a few more knobs and buttons, more pages would have been in the file. Here's the file, after editing to taste:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<AutomapFile>
<PlugID PlugID="1130447730" PlugID3="-1947971856" PlugID2="-1798089824" PlugID1="-1066116336" />
<DeviceID DeviceID="-1215975765" DeviceID3="-1866063922" DeviceID2="1279478674" DeviceID1="2136172004" />
<Type Type="1" />
<BrowserHint Value="-1" />
<Group name="Controls">
<Group name="Page 1 Encoders">
<Param name="DistTube" shortName="DistTube" id="2" intStep="1" intMax="100" intMin="0" high="100" low="0" step="1.000000" />
<Param name="DistMech" shortName="DistMech" id="1" intStep="1" intMax="100" intMin="0" high="100" low="0" step="1.000000" />
<Param name="Cutoff" shortName="Cutoff" id="4" intStep="1" intMax="100" intMin="0" high="100" low="0" step="1.000000" />
<Param name="Res" shortName="Res" id="5" intStep="1" intMax="100" intMin="0" high="100" low="0" step="1.000000" />
<Param name="Amount" shortName="Amount" id="7" intStep="1" intMax="127" intMin="0" high="127" low="0" step="1.000000" />
<Param name="Volume" shortName="Volume" id="11" intStep="1" intMax="127" intMin="0" high="127" low="0" step="1.000000" />
<Param name="Mix" shortName="Mix" id="10" intStep="1" intMax="127" intMin="0" high="127" low="0" step="1.000000" />
<Param />
</Group>
<Group name="Page 1 Pots"> <---- this is actually the buttons!
<Param name="DistOn" shortName="DistOn" id="0" intStep="100" intMax="100" intMin="0" high="100" low="0" step="100.000000" />
<Param name="FilterOn" shortName="FilterOn" id="3" intStep="1" intMax="100" intMin="0" high="1" low="0" step="1.000000" />
<Param name="Compress" shortName="Compress" id="6" intStep="100" intMax="100" intMin="0" high="100" low="0" step="100.000000" />
<Param name="Phat" shortName="Phat" id="8" intStep="100" intMax="100" intMin="0" high="100" low="0" step="100.000000" />
<Param name="MasterOn" shortName="MasterOn" id="9" intStep="100" intMax="100" intMin="0" high="100" low="0" step="100.000000" />
<Param />
<Param />
<Param />
</Group>
<Group name="Page 1 XFader">
<Param />
</Group>
<Group name="Page 1 Sliders">
<Param />
<Param />
<Param />
<Param />
<Param />
<Param />
<Param />
<Param />
</Group>
<Group name="Page 1 Encoder Buttons">
<Param />
<Param />
<Param />
<Param />
<Param />
<Param />
<Param />
<Param />
</Group>
<Group name="Page 1 XFader">
<Param />
</Group>
</Group>
</AutomapFile>

As you can see, it's written in a simple markup language. I won't bother to show you the file for u-he Diva which has 17 pages of controls (136 knobs, 136 buttons although not all may be used). If you look at the "Param" fields in the file, it's essentially the same information that you would be providing in the LaunchControl editor. Automap extracted this from the VST, I simply reordered the parameter order to line up properly with the knobs and buttons...simple cut and paste. Automap filled out the ranges of the controls, which in the LaunchControl editor you would enter manually. The empty fields are because the Nocturn has no sliders or encoder butons (i.e. you press down on the encoder) but some Novation controllers do have these.

The only controller templates that really work out of the box are those that are created by the controller mfrs themselves. This is where Nektar conrollers get their value, they do all the mapping for "popular" DAWs and softsynths so it just works. A lot of controllers work well with Live racks because they present 8 macros (far from enough to fully control any softsynth more complicated than a 303) which easily map to 8 knobs. But the user still has to create the rack and assign the macros. Then you have dedicated controllers like all the ones for Live (Push, Launchpad, APC40, etc.) and NI's Komplete controllers.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby madtheory » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:11 pm

Brill thanks, exactly what I needed to know. I was attracted by Automap so it's a shame that won't work, and the little Launch Control would sit nicely on my Akai MX1000 keyboard. I suck at programming but I think I might manage this LOL!

Thanks again :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to General Synthesizers