Setting up multiple synths & sequencer MIDI experts step in!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Synthabator

Setting up multiple synths & sequencer MIDI experts step in!

Post by Synthabator » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:35 am

Im trying to figure out how to get this all together. I would like to use the MSQ-700 sequencer for both synths. Am I missing something to make this work?

Equipment
MSQ-700 Sequencer -has MIDI In/Out
Roland Juno 60 through Kenton DCB-has MIDI IN/OUT/THROUGH
DX7II-has MIDI IN/OUT/THROUGH
Tascam 4x4-has 4 audio ins and MIDI IN/OUT and USB(I want to later be able to use this for iPad sequencing)

Thanks!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Setting up multiple synths & sequencer MIDI experts step

Post by Z » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:44 am

With the MSQ-700, you cannot use it to sequencer MIDI and DCB at the same time. You must choose one or the other. But I guess you already know that since you have the Kenton Pro-DCB.

I'd use the DX7II as your controller keyboard and run its MIDI OUT to the MSQ's MIDI IN and MSQ's MIDI OUT into the DX7's MIDI IN.

Then run a MIDI cable from the DX7's THRU to the Juno/Pro-DCB's MIDI IN.

Both DX7 and Juno/Pro-DCB need to be on different MIDI channels.

Set the DX7 to LOCAL OFF. This "disconnects" the DX7's keyboard from the DX7's sound generating synthesizer.

Now, simply select the MIDI Transmit Channel on the DX7 to whichever synth you wish to record.

I don't know anything about using modern computers and iPads, so someone else will need to help you with the Tascam 4x4.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

Synthabator

Post by Synthabator » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:02 am

Wow. Thanks!! That might just do it.

Synthabator

Post by Synthabator » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:26 am

Z wrote:With the MSQ-700, you cannot use it to sequencer MIDI and DCB at the same time. You must choose one or the other. But I guess you already know that since you have the Kenton Pro-DCB.

I'd use the DX7II as your controller keyboard and run its MIDI OUT to the MSQ's MIDI IN and MSQ's MIDI OUT into the DX7's MIDI IN.

Then run a MIDI cable from the DX7's THRU to the Juno/Pro-DCB's MIDI IN.

Both DX7 and Juno/Pro-DCB need to be on different MIDI channels.

Set the DX7 to LOCAL OFF. This "disconnects" the DX7's keyboard from the DX7's sound generating synthesizer.

Now, simply select the MIDI Transmit Channel on the DX7 to whichever synth you wish to record.

I don't know anything about using modern computers and iPads, so someone else will need to help you with the Tascam 4x4.
Ok. Can you be more clear as to midi receive and transmit for each the dx7 and Juno. Right now, I play on dx7 and it plays both sounds from Juno and dx7. What should I set each at? Also, should the msq be set to ALL for channels?