D50 Soundtrack for DX7

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

D50 Soundtrack for DX7

Post by gcoudert » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:43 am

I created this approximation of the D50's Soundtrack patch the other day and have modified it to include the 5th note without having recourse to layering. It'll work on all incarnations of the DX7.

GC

desmond

Re: D50 Soundtrack for DX7

Post by desmond » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:35 am

A little audio clip would be great! :thumbleft:

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:55 am

desmond wrote:A little audio clip would be great! :thumbleft:
Only reverb added:

Click here for short mp3
GC

Synthabator

Post by Synthabator » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:02 pm

some reverb and you are spot on. Thanks!! I wonder how it would sound on a DX7II

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by gcoudert » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:11 pm

Synthabator wrote:some reverb and you are spot on. Thanks!! I wonder how it would sound on a DX7II
My audio clip was done on a TX802 so it would sound the same. I did add a little reverb but it needs loads more indeed.
GC

desmond

Post by desmond » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:38 pm

Synthabator wrote:some reverb and you are spot on.
Not spot on (I've been studying this sound quite a bit :) ) but it's pretty good and particularly for being constrained by the architecture of the DX7 (I guess with the TX you could layer an additional patch with the extra pitch attack parts).

There is quite a bit more going on in the D50 patch (four layers, so you have two layers for the root and seventh, and two layers for an extra pitch scooped attack - plus you have the PWM that closes down with velocity so at low levels you get this lovely square wave version), and extra thickening with chorus.

But I'm always pleased to hear the DX7 sound less, well, DX-like... :thumbleft:

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by gcoudert » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:53 pm

desmond wrote:
Synthabator wrote:some reverb and you are spot on.
Not spot on (I've been studying this sound quite a bit :) ) but it's pretty good and particularly for being constrained by the architecture of the DX7 (I guess with the TX you could layer an additional patch with the extra pitch attack parts).

There is quite a bit more going on in the D50 patch (four layers, so you have two layers for the root and seventh, and two layers for an extra pitch scooped attack - plus you have the PWM that closes down with velocity so at low levels you get this lovely square wave version), and extra thickening with chorus.

But I'm always pleased to hear the DX7 sound less, well, DX-like... :thumbleft:
Indeed, it is far from being spot on but it's in the right ball park; as I wrote in my original post, it is an approximation after all. Remember, I don't have a D50 for A/B comparison so this was done from memory. I didn't even consider playing with the pitch envelope but may well do that at some point.
For the anecdote, I was messing around with this already edited version of a fretless bass patch. I was playing it in the upper registers and wondered what it would sound like with a slower attack and a little LFO applied to pitch. I immediately thought "Sh*t! It sounds like the D50's Soundtrack patch!" so I pushed the editing a little further and came up with this.
I know what you mean about the DX7 not sounding like one in some patches. Whilst I love the overplayed, cliché FM patches, I do have a soft spot for the less obvious ones.
GC

Synthabator

Post by Synthabator » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:48 pm

well, spot on as in some spots on. :D :D

Agreed. Limitations to hardware.

Oudeis Eimi
Gear: Access Virus KC
Kurzweil PC88
Waldorf microQ

Post by Oudeis Eimi » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:37 am