PJ Harvey-like cheap synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
euseila

PJ Harvey-like cheap synth

Post by euseila » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:51 pm

Hi guys! This is my first post at VSE although I've been lurking for a while. I've only recently started reading about synths and I am yet to buy my first one so please try to tolerate my ignorance hehe.

I'm looking for a cheap synth that will get me a sound similar to the one you'll hear on this PJ Harvey song (from 1:48 onwards):

Would a 20£ stylophone do? Probably not, right? I wouldn't like my budget to go over 200 USD since I'm buying s-loads of other stuff but if I find exactly what I want for a higher price, I'll consider it. I'd rather not buy anything second handed since I live in a country where such things are not easy to find.

I'll be playing it alongside my electric guitar, voice and drum machine. I want it to be aggressive without sounding modern. I wouldn't be playing complicated melodies. In fact, I'd probably play only one to four notes to provide texture / create chaos ahahah. Each note lasting a long while. Something with drone-like characteristics that sounds like it might just be about to break. Lo-fi.

Edit: If you don't think there really is anything of the sort when it comes to hardware, please feel free to advise some VSTs (which I would rather not use but what can I do if there's no alternative...).

Thanks a lot!

Dezb1
Gear: Microbrute
Volca Keys
Yamaha VSS-200
Yamaha PSS-470
Casio HT-700
Monotron Delay
Stylophone

Re: PJ Harvey-like cheap synth

Post by Dezb1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:10 pm

I know she was / is a big fan of the Yamaha QY20 not sure if this is the synth on the song you posted as I can't play the video ' video not available' as usual.
Last edited by Dezb1 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:34 pm

Over my computer speakers it just sounds like a combo organ to me. Hard to tell with the low fidelity of the recording :(
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Music Bird
Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Post by Music Bird » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:42 pm

It sounds like it could be a combo or home organ, right, it does sound like one, and also, it could be the QY-20, or a cheap Yamaha PSR (they have the same sound set for the XG Lite, it sounds like the Even Bar organ or one of the 70's drawbar organs). I think a used Yamaha PSR would be under $200. While home organs can be found really cheap too.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.

Synthabator

Post by Synthabator » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:40 pm

have no idea what I was looking for. A bunch of distortion and maybe a guitar synth.