Ensoniq ESQ1 mod wheel panel question

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Ensoniq ESQ1 mod wheel panel question

Postby Patchman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:11 pm

On a recently purchased esq1, the top lid was not closed tightly on the left bottom side. The screw was missing. Upon further inspection, I found that the bottom screw tab it would mate with (molded into the side of the mod wheel panel) was broken off. I also noticed the two screws on the right hand side of the lid are machine thread and mate with brass threaded bushings molded into the right hand tabs. Also, the single screw that was holding the top left hand side down is a standard thread screw, although it does have the allen head. The top left tab doesn't have a threaded bushing as the right side do. My question is; are the stock screws going into the left side lid machine or standard type thread, and, are the tabs on the mod wheel panel made without the brass threaded bushings? Just seems odd it would have been designed that way.

Rich
Patchman

Gear: Ensoniq ESQ-1, Korg MS2000R
Band: No longer playing.

Re: Ensoniq ESQ1 mod wheel panel question

Postby rhino » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:38 am

IIRC, the screws withOUT the brass insert were the very early production units. Somebody may have replaced the original wheel panel with an older one. This is a weak spot on bothe the ESQ-1 and the SQ80 (seems not so much the samplers = EPS etc) You can buy brass inserts (not exactly the same) at a hardware store. I use black two-part plastic mender (powder and liquid) to mold a new 'finger' and glue the insert into it.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby madtheory » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:52 am

Welcome back rhino! We missed you :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby Patchman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:21 pm

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I'll check out local hardware stores. I guess its not that big a deal, but details like that bug me, guess I need help :lol:

Rich
Patchman

Gear: Ensoniq ESQ-1, Korg MS2000R
Band: No longer playing.

Return to General Synthesizers