1986 KORG DS-8... Quite Surprised!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

1986 KORG DS-8... Quite Surprised!

Postby HideawayStudio » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:22 pm

After a couple of recommendations I got curious and got myself a little 1986 KORG DS-8 to try out....

I am quite taken by this inexpensive little beast!

The DS-8 was unusual in that although it was based on a 4OP Yamaha FM chip set it was presented with a somewhat more intuitive and user friendly programming interface which is quite a lot more inviting to experiment with than a classic FM user-interface! The synth also featured a detuned unison mode and some useful built in effects such as chorus and flanging which give the instrument quite a different feel.

I have just had a go programming some new patches on the little beast and I'm quite encouraged considering how awful the factory presets were!!

Here is a quick test recording of some of my new patches...

Last edited by HideawayStudio on Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Re: 1986 KORG DS-8... Quite Surprised!

Postby desmond » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:50 pm

I think this was the same engine used in the Korg 707 too, it was when a few companies started to be able to put out FM synths, rather than just the DX series.

Elka had an FM synth too, and there were a few others in this era...
desmond

Postby HideawayStudio » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:51 pm

Its is the same engine as the 707 and the little FB-01 but what makes this one a little more interesting is the friendly programming interface and the on-board effects along with a detuned unison mode.

Just added a few more new patches I made this morning....

https://soundcloud.com/hideaway-studio/ ... nd-patches

If this was a DX21 I'd have given up well before now!... not because the 21 is inferior but simply because this thing is more inviting to program.

I still can't believe how awful the factory patches were - it was almost like Korg didn't want to sell this thing!!
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby madtheory » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:22 pm

Great sounds! Have you been getting tips from your customers? ;)

I hated FM back when this synth came out. In my old age I've grown to like it. Isn't the opposite supposed to happen?!?

DX sysex in FM8 is endless hours of fun. I'd like to get a TX7 though, to check out the envelope bug.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby desmond » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:24 pm

HideawayStudio wrote:Its is the same engine as the 707 and the little FB-01 but what makes this one a little more interesting is the friendly programming interface and the on-board effects along with a detuned unison mode.

Yeah, sorry what I meant by "same engine" was not "yes, it's also 4-op FM", but it's the same engine as the DS8 with the same easy edit programming scheme and a few extras, which makes it a rather different experience from the overly techy Yamaha FM stuff...

I kinda like the mid-Korg era - the DW8000/DSS1/RK100 stuff up to just before the Korg M1 when it all took a big shift into a different direction. Although I always hated the Poly800 - paraphonic bias is showing, here... :)
desmond

Postby madtheory » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:09 pm

desmond wrote: Although I always hated the Poly800 - paraphonic bias is showing, here... :)

Agreed! Terrible sounding instrument, very poor reward for the programming effort.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby HideawayStudio » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:30 pm

Yaye! Just managed to retrofit a new "Cool Blue" high-contrast 2x40 LED backlit display in the DS-8.

It is now SO much easier to read the display!!!

Looks just like this one:

I can read it on the other side of the room now :D

Its a pretty easy retrofit for the more technically inclined..
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby sandwich » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:42 am

madtheory wrote:
desmond wrote: Although I always hated the Poly800 - paraphonic bias is showing, here... :)

Agreed! Terrible sounding instrument, very poor reward for the programming effort.

That has always been my least favourite synth too. It always sounded squelchy to me :D
sandwich

Postby clubbedtodeath » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:54 pm

Nice find. Lots of lovely patches there, but in particular - 10/10 for the brass pad and the celesta patch. Those are something.
clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby grenert » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:46 pm

To the OP:
I have a really dim backlight on my DS-8. When I looked into getting a replacement, the schematics look like the DS-8 uses a non-standard pinout for the display. Did you have to rearrange the lines going into the display? Or does it drop right in?
Thanks!
grenert

Postby Sir Ruff » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:51 am

Korg DS-8 is a weird but fun one that can still be had for very cheap. The programming limitations are made up for by the interface and effects.

The x8 overdub demo for the DS-8 here is also one of the best demos I think I've ever hear (I genuinely want a full version of this): http://www.deepsonic.ch/deep/htm/korg_ds-8.php
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby K-man » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:53 pm

I own one since 4 months ago. It is a rare synth, difficult to find. I got it for 200€ in mint condition and with case included (I was lucky).

100% FM sounding and so easy to program as a sustractive synth.

I love it!!
K-man

Gear: Kawai K4 - Casio CZ5000 - Korg DS8 - Korg microKORG

Postby grenert » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:11 am

Following up with my experience, in case others need to replace a dim LCD. I bought a Futaba vacuum fluorescent display, part M402SD10FJ:
http://www.primelec.com/futaba-2-x-40-c ... kMobvCnGMA
It's characters are a little smaller than the original display, but it's nice and high contrast with instantaneous update. The mounting holes line up perfectly with the original ones, and if you desolder the LCD cable from the old display (I used a Soldapullt vacuum pump desolder device and extra flux with my iron, went very easy), you can use it exactly as is with the new VFD display. Of course, you don't have any connection to the old backlight connector. It's thicker than the original, so don't crank down all the way on the mounting screws or you will break the glass over the display. It only takes a couple turns on each mounting screw to get it mounted securely. I inserted a turquoise gel sheet between the display an the overlying clear plastic of the panel to get good contrast and nice color.
Looks pretty sharp, I think!
grenert

Postby Jabberwalky » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:47 pm

Looks awesome! Nice find.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Circuit | PreenFM2
Band: VARIAR

Postby micahjonhughes » Mon May 14, 2018 3:42 pm

For those of you that replaced the display, do you recall what pin out adjustments had to be made to get the new displays to work?

I thought I had it figured out, but no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Micah
micahjonhughes

Next

Return to General Synthesizers