Ensoniq SD1 (SD-1) Sequencer OS Floppy Disk Image

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Rasputin

Ensoniq SD1 (SD-1) Sequencer OS Floppy Disk Image

Post by Rasputin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:45 pm

For the sake of convenience and in the name of archival, I thought I'd post the sequencer operating system for the Ensoniq SD-1. This needs to be reloaded from floppy disk any time the RAM is cleared, whether that's because the battery dies or it has been reinitialized.

The usual file for creating a floppy is a Giebler format image named "SD1OS410.EDV". This has been included, although the format is obsolete and pointless now.

A universal raw (Omniflop compatible) image of the Ensoniq SD-1 sequencer OS v4.10 floppy has also been included as that will work correctly on modern systems and will be will supported into the future. Now you don't have to pay $13 on eBay to get a disk because you don't have an ancient DOS machine or can't find the elusive floppy images and/or writing software.

Ensoniq SD-1 800K Omniflop & EDV v4.10 Sequencer Operating System Bundle:

tommym

Re: Ensoniq SD1 (SD-1) Sequencer OS Floppy Disk Image

Post by tommym » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:17 pm

Hi Raspy, I didn't see this generous post of yours in time, so I bought an SD-1 Sequencer OS v.4.10 floppy online, but although the sequencer OS file shows up on the SD-1 in the Storage/Disk/Load menu, when I hit Enter, it says "File Doesn't Exist." I have checked my ROM version by holding Presets and the Master, and it's 4.10 - what do you think the problem is? Do I have to power the synth on which holding some hot keys to get the Sequencer OS to load? Thanks!
===EDIT=== I reinitialized the SD-1, and now the Sequencer OS (4.10) loaded right away. Sorry to have bothered ya. Best wishes.

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:18 pm

Yey! another SD-1 sequencer user! It's quite good once all the little frustrating things have been sorted. In typical Ensoniq style, there is a switch for it somewhere, just gotta find it. I like the sequencer as it seems very direct, have an idea? just go to it. One main thing, as there is nothing to look at (as with a PC and all those nice colours wizzing by) all my brain power goes into actually playing the musical things. It has nice quant. features and tick shift which is good for finding a groove, and there's loads more the sequencer can do.

BTW: I use Giebler's EDM all the time for ensoniq disk stuff.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:15 pm

blueknob wrote:BTW: I use Giebler's EDM all the time for ensoniq disk stuff.
It's not so much that Giebler utilities are "bad", they just aren't particularly compatible with all the systems and setups that they could be. Omniflop can be used with all sorts of floppy disc controller chips, Pentium 4 CPUs, XP, etc. whereas EDM flakes out in many of the same situations, and with the Giebler utilities that do nothing but disk management there's little reason to use them other than translate some old Giebler format to a more universal standard.

Same problem occurs with so many of the stand-alone disk making utilities put out by E-mu, Akai, et al. It's just a product of the times.