ElectroComp EML-101 volt/octave conversion mod

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
belltones
Gear: Weller soldering iron, Hitachi oscilloscope, little hooked tool I got on Amazon for $1

ElectroComp EML-101 volt/octave conversion mod

Post by belltones » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi guys, thought you might be interested in seeing this video I just finished editing demoing the mod we did on an ElectroComp EML-101 that allows it to accept 1 V/octave control voltage input! The mod shows off some of the also very cool normal capabilities of the synth too, such as the way the 4 oscillators can cross-modulate for FM effects.

This is a wonderful, early 1970s duophonic semi-modular synth with 4 oscillators whose usefulness with other gear is often limited due to its strange 1.4V/octave +4.6V offset oscillator scale, but we designed and added a circuit to convert incoming 1 V/octave CV to the synth's strange scale. The mod circuit can be switched on an off using a toggle switch that we added, which matches the synth's original switches.

This synth is so much fun!

Christian

Re: ElectroComp EML-101 volt/octave conversion mod

Post by Christian » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:51 am

The EML uses non-standard CV scaling, 1.2 V/octave. Of course, any modern MIDI-to-CV converters won't scale up properly.

A sequencer can be very useful to tune any synths from any musical temperament systems.

So I am not sure why you did this modification on the EML-101.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:15 pm

Christian wrote:The EML uses non-standard CV scaling, 1.2 V/octave. Of course, any modern MIDI-to-CV converters won't scale up properly.

So I am not sure why you did this modification on the EML-101.
I think your first statement answers your own line of questioning. Seems pretty apparent why someone would mod that.

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:25 am

Easy solution (which I know isn't for everyone)... use Silent Way. AFAIK, it wouldn't care how wacky the synths scaling is.
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:44 pm

Kenton Pro Solo can have scaling adjusted also. It will drive anything including the ElectroComp. Lots of happy VCS3 users as well.

Christian

Post by Christian » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:55 pm

I asked because the guy used a sequencer KORG SQ1 to demonstrate the mod, which is absolutely not necessary in that context of use.

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:41 pm

this is pretty cool.

Abstraktor

Post by Abstraktor » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:43 pm

The Electrocomp 101 is actually closer to 1.4V per octave and even a Kenton Pro 2000 doesn't get close to a standard span. I know because I have both. ES Silent Way would do it, but only with specific audio interfaces (MOTU, for example). I think Belltones mod is a cool workaround. I tend to use the synth for non-chromatic stuff anyway, but the sound of all 4 VCOS together is massive, and it would be nice to sequence them melodically sometimes.
Maybe Belltones could publish the circuit? :)

Abstraktor

Post by Abstraktor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:45 am

Just to clarify - I have an earlier version of the Electrocomp 101 which doesn't have the SEQ in, so external CV control is done via the EXT OSC CONTROL. Maybe the SEQ in will scale fine with a Kenton or Encore. :)

Christian

Post by Christian » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:11 am

Thank you for bringing this to my attention... that means this modification makes sense with the other version of the EML 101 that has the SEQ input instead of the EXT OSC CONTROL input. Mine has the EXT control jack.

belltones
Gear: Weller soldering iron, Hitachi oscilloscope, little hooked tool I got on Amazon for $1

Post by belltones » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:27 pm

2 years later---
PCBs and kits for this mod are now available!
The new improved design eliminates the need to add a new switch while also allowing Voice 2 /Oscs 3 and 4 to work 100% normally when no external CV is plugged in.

details here:
http://www.belltonesynthworks.com/blog/ ... available/

:D

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:37 pm

Damn... this made me want an EML 101.

And I was so happy to have successfully quenched my gear-lust...

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/