Ensoniq TS12 as a rack version / QuattroTS Project

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Ensoniq TS12 as a rack version / QuattroTS Project

Postby readymedia » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:48 pm

Hello there!

I plan to get rid of the keyboard unit of TS-12 and put the all the boards in a huge 19" rack case. Also I'll try to put the front panel in a kind of tabletop format. I already started a thread in a fb group "Synthesizer Spares or Repair" https://www.facebook.com/groups/synthrepair/permalink/1646193248726753/ and get some helpful responses.

However I think, it is better to put my questions here, so it is more common and more open place for that sort of discussion.

At first I realized that the TS12 work properly whitout its heavy and after all that years semi broken keyboard. But you have to let the keyboard PCB in place. Even keyboard naming feature works properly via external MIDI controller.

Well I have several TS12 and in a best case I'll put all four of them in that huge 19" rack case. As long as the groud connection is good, there are no electrical problems to appear... I hope. Anyway I plan is to put one synth in the rack case first. Then if it possible just stuck the second (and so on) on the top of first one...

Any help is appreciated!

I'll keep you updated. Cheers, Andreas
Last edited by readymedia on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
readymedia

Gear: TS12

Re: Ensoniq TS12 as a rack version / QuatroTS Project

Postby Rasputin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:07 am

Ambitious, but I believe it is definitely possible with enough persistence.

I didn't read the other thread you mentioned, but I think the best way to approach putting four in one rack is to have a push button toggle that cycles through a shared display/keypad with an LED to indicate which of the four is selected. That's going to require some custom circuitry, of course. I guess you'd want to tie that into the floppy as well.
Rasputin

Postby readymedia » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:32 pm

To share the tabletop unit was also my first idea. I realized that TS12 can also boot without the display board. So I first tought, it would work with a simple "mechanical" switch... But I'm afraid that the "additional circuity"have to be. :) Never tought about sharing drives! Interesting idea! May also a way simplier as to share the tabletop unit.
readymedia

Postby readymedia » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:08 pm

It is possible to put four Ensoniqs and one CD-Rom on one bus? Otherwise I have just one SCSI interface for my four Ensoniqs. So it would be cool to boot each one with the same interface one after another... so the switch is between synths and the one interface+cd-rom...
readymedia

Postby Ashe37 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:07 pm

Technically, you can have two at opposite ends of a SCSI bus but i doubt that Ensoniqs know how to do the bus arbitration... most PCs can't even...
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby readymedia » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:18 pm

Some additional thoughts so far:

- Realised that power supply inside TS uses the whole aluminium body of the synths as a passive cooling. So I need some kind of additional cooling inside the rack case. Simple screwing the small cooler of the PCB to the rack case wall could be not enough... ;(

- Cutting the front of the synth is a kind of blaspheme and a great technical problem - jigsaw isn't an option...

- Updated all my four synths (motherboards.. just one synth isn't token apart) to latest OS 3.10... Two of the motherboards were at OS 2.02 so I done some modifications on those boards like described in Ensoniqs "Upgrade OS" documents.
readymedia

Re: Ensoniq TS12 as a rack version / QuattroTS Project

Postby readymedia » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:33 pm

I got the surface cutted. Just had to find someone with pro tools. Because initially I tried cut the whole surface of TS (front panel made of complex age, flat aluminium plate and second complex age at once) the Ensoniq logo was cutted too... ;( The other two I cutet the way Ensoniq logo suffered...

Here is also a initial concept of the idea put TS in a rack case:

Cheers, Andreas
readymedia

Return to General Synthesizers