What's a good price for a Korg Polysix today?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
NCChao1268
Gear: Kurzweil K2000 fully upgraded
Roland Juno 60
Roland JX-8P
Korg DW 8000
Polysix
Alesis SR-16
Yamaha DX7

What's a good price for a Korg Polysix today?

Post by NCChao1268 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:24 am

I have thought about getting a Korg Polysix but the prices today are outrageous. $1000-$1500 for a working condition keyboard and around $500-$800 for one that needs repair. Although it is true analog and vintage with only one osc, other true analogs of today with more features such as the Minilogue only cost about $500. Any good ways to get a Polysix for a good bargain?
How much did you get your Polysix for?

-Nathan

Oudeis Eimi
Gear: Access Virus KC
Kurzweil PC88
Waldorf microQ

Re: What's a good price for a Korg Polysix today?

Post by Oudeis Eimi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:56 am

Around €60, working... in 1997 (we didn't have euros then but what I paid amounts to that).

Bloke who sold it to me found it in the bin.

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Honestly don't buy one , unless its mint and 300€. .Not worth more, todays analogs are far better, get yourself a second had Prophet 08 or something.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:35 pm

NCChao1268 wrote:I have thought about getting a Korg Polysix but the prices today are outrageous.
I have to say it: it's only an outrageous price when you can't afford it but still want it.

The answer: stop thinking about the Polysix and buy something else. Like any synth, the Polysix has it's own sound but the actual feature set is easily duplicated by any number of other instruments that cost much less. I'd suggest looking at low-priced Rolands, particularly the Alpha Junos or a JX8P. These are still bargains because they lack knobs.

I owned a Minilogue and can't recommend it at all.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

NCChao1268
Roland Juno 60
Roland JX-8P
Korg DW 8000
Polysix
Alesis SR-16
Yamaha DX7

Post by NCChao1268 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:11 am

meatballfulton wrote:
NCChao1268 wrote:I have thought about getting a Korg Polysix but the prices today are outrageous.
I have to say it: it's only an outrageous price when you can't afford it but still want it.

The answer: stop thinking about the Polysix and buy something else. Like any synth, the Polysix has it's own sound but the actual feature set is easily duplicated by any number of other instruments that cost much less. I'd suggest looking at low-priced Rolands, particularly the Alpha Junos or a JX8P. These are still bargains because they lack knobs.

I owned a Minilogue and can't recommend it at all.
I actually own a JX-8P and you can still have just as authentic of an analog sound as a Polysix, maybe not as thick. The sound of the Polysix is special combined with the interface, a unique analog VCO sound. Most people are drawn to the Polysix probably because of it's nice analog sound with a simple programmable interface and arpeggiator like the Juno 60. What do you dislike about the Minilogue?

-Nathan

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:25 am

Sorry the above is bollox. I had a JX-8P (and everything else) and a couple of Polysix. The 8P doesn't touch the Polysix for 'analog' sound, come ont the 8P barely qualifies itself as analog and has one of the least analog sounds going (considering it actually is analog). Terribly weak filters. Same filters as in Alpha junos (also a very weak/poor synth). Best juno is 106 or 60 depending on taste, I've had them all sometimes many times and still the Polysix kick's their a*s!

Polysix? AWESOME filters, DISCREET VCOS. I've got a new Prophet REV2 and that is amazing, shits all over a JX-8p and yet my Polysix still has a place. Not much out there quite nails that SSM filter + discreet VCOs .. or any VCO unless you wanna go look at £4k prophet 5s!

Polysix is a great synth, its simplicity but great organic tone is exactly why it's so good. Its unison mode has rarely been out-classed for girth and punch, looks decent and built very well (other than battery damage and a cheap ish feeling keybed).

That said, also bear in mind the parts inside these are worth a fortune. The SSM chips are worth quite a bit (x6/12 with the env chips) so that's why even broken they go for a high price because any monkey can buy one too cheap , part it out and triple their cash.

Personally if I were you'd I buy a broken one, then kiwisix it, you pay less than buying a fully working one but get guaranteed fixed mainboard + the extra features.

Would I take one over the REV2? no, but it has a place. Some people love the tone and filter and that doesn't come easy (esp to something as ghastly sounding as JX-8P)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:41 pm

Minilogue:

-- 4 voices is not enough

-- EGs always restart from 0

-- Poor MIDI implementation

-- Minikeys

As Pro5's post shows, if you like the Polysix enough then the prices are only outrageous if you can't afford one. Even today, they sell for less than they did brand new.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Jeanpou

Post by Jeanpou » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:06 am

What is outrageous? A 1400$ Juno 106? A 1000$ system 8? A 4000$ 808 or a 1500$ polysix?
The answer is none actually. Except i think juno's are overrated. And the system 8 will be the only one to loose its value over time. And that the 808 today's price are in part due to the legend, but anyway it will not loose its value.
If i think about those exemple, the only price that seems right is the polysix. No modern synth come close. The prophet 8 is nice, but soundwise its a joke compared to a polysix , people should compared it to a prophet 5, and i many case in sound bigger than a prophet 5. I have/had plenty of poly analog, juno6, jupiter6, prophet8,prophet6, jx3p(great synth... Should cost more than a juno106), monopoly (another gem) vp330 and the only synth that is always plugged is the polysix. Its arpeggiator kill the juno6/60 one. Its string are so spacy and alive so i finally sold my vp330. Its 6 voices in unison are almost too fat. Nothing compared to a dco unison.It a synth with not many possibilities/option, but it got the TONE, similar to a SH101 (not soundwise but being a synth with a basic tone so great that you don't need 6 LFOs, 3 oscillators and outboard effects).
Today i think 1500$ is a fair price for a good working polysix in a good state. Maybe more with midi. This is today price, it will only rise, so if you want it just get it!

K-man
Gear: Alesis Micron - Casio CZ1000 - Kawai K4 - Korg DS8

Post by K-man » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:59 pm

I would not pay more than 600€, of course fully working and in very good condition. Sounds very good and its a lovely vintage synth, but is very limited and sooner or later it turns into a issues factory.

NCChao1268
Roland Juno 60
Roland JX-8P
Korg DW 8000
Polysix
Alesis SR-16
Yamaha DX7

Post by NCChao1268 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:13 am

K-man wrote:I would not pay more than 600€, of course fully working and in very good condition. Sounds very good and its a lovely vintage synth, but is very limited and sooner or later it turns into a issues factory.
Well said. Couldn't agree with you more. The Polysix shouldn't be so pricey, nor should any vintage synth be so costly. It's a great synth, but unfortunately has it's share of technical issues.