Voltage-controlled digital oscillators?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Voltage-controlled digital oscillators?

Post by fh991586 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:01 pm

What is this?
Voltage-controlled digital oscillators (VCDO) - two, each with four waveforms: saw, square, pulse 1 (25% rate), pulse 2 (10% rate). Note: Pulse 1 and 2 are similar to PMW but are fixed similar to «Aelita», «Polivoks» synthesizers for e.g. Octave ranges - 3 octaves for OSC1 and 5 octaves for OSC2.
https://ask.audio/articles/the-mbs100-i ... era-synths

How do you place this between VCO and DCO?
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Voltage-controlled digital oscillators?

Post by Solderman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:13 pm

I've seen a few Digital VCO modules for Eurorack, including using the CV for wavetable sweeps. Typically these are generated fully in software, but have a ADC used as an input interface to accept a CV signal at a sufficiently high sampling rate, in the range of that modular's standard. I suspect the AVP synth is similar, but is not designed with modular function in mind, so is less flexible. Fixed pulsewidth implies one CV interface, exclusive to pitch control.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:38 pm

There were also voltage controlled digital oscillators, where high-frequency VCO was used directly as a clock for the lookup table. Cymbal/hihat module from Simmons SDS-V works like this. The chain was VCO -> counter -> EPROM -> DAC.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:30 pm

It does seem pretty weird to control a digital oscillator from CV, but with a modular you don't have much choice 8-)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Modulart_JP

Post by Modulart_JP » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:24 pm

adamstan wrote:There were also voltage controlled digital oscillators, where high-frequency VCO was used directly as a clock for the lookup table. Cymbal/hihat module from Simmons SDS-V works like this. The chain was VCO -> counter -> EPROM -> DAC.
This is how the legendary Digisound 80-21 VCDO works.
As well as our eurorack version which utilizes the same circuits and parts. ;)

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:31 pm

adamstan wrote:There were also voltage controlled digital oscillators, where high-frequency VCO was used directly as a clock for the lookup table. Cymbal/hihat module from Simmons SDS-V works like this. The chain was VCO -> counter -> EPROM -> DAC.
Yeah, this seems like the most straightforward approach. Doesn't even need a microcontroller.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73