MIDI problems with Blofeld and Elektron Digitakt

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Saeptus

MIDI problems with Blofeld and Elektron Digitakt

Post by Saeptus » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:06 pm

So, I'm trying to sequence the Blofeld with my Elektron Digitakt. First of all, last night I used my Minilogue to control the Blofeld and it worked fine. Didn't have to mess with channel selection at all. It was plug and play. Today, I've tried to sequence the Blofeld with my Digitakt to no avail. They are on the same channel. The MIDI light on the Blofeld blinks when I hit the chromatic keyboard on my Digitakt, but there is no sound. I don't understand the intricacies of MIDI so I'm pretty frustrated. I watched a Digitakt tutorial and a user just plugged a Volca FM straight into the Digitakt, selected the same channel on each piece of kit, and was playing and sequencing instantly. Which leads me to believe the problem is on the Blofeld, but I have no clue.

Help!
Synths: Moog Sub 37, Korg Minilogue, Moog Mother-32, DSI MEK, Waldorf Blofeld, Korg Monologue, Alesis Ion.

Other equipment: Elektron Digitak, Korg Electribe Sampler II, Squier Jazzmaster, Fender Tele MIJ, and many FX pedals.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: MIDI problems with Blofeld and Elektron Digitakt

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:02 pm

What MIDI channel is the Digitakt sending on? What MIDI channel is the Blofeld recieving on??

abruzzi

Post by abruzzi » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:55 am

another question, is the blofeld in multi mode or just normal single patch mode? If you have nothing else on the MIDI cable, and aren't trying to use multi mode, you could set the blofeld to "omni". Basically, if the Digitakt is sending midi notes on the same channel as the blofeld is listening, then it should work, but "omni" is a basic mode where the synths ignores channel assignments and plays any note on any channel.

Saeptus

Post by Saeptus » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:12 am

I set Digitakt and Blofeld to Channel 1. Apart from that, I don't know what else I have to do. As noted, the MIDI light on the Blofeld blinks when I hit the keys on the Digitakt but there is no sound. And the Midi track is not muted on the Digitakt. I'm guessing there are parameters on one or both that needs to be set?

Also, I tried Omni on the Blofeld, then ran through each of the Digitakt's 16 MIDI channels. Nothing.
Synths: Moog Sub 37, Korg Minilogue, Moog Mother-32, DSI MEK, Waldorf Blofeld, Korg Monologue, Alesis Ion.

Other equipment: Elektron Digitak, Korg Electribe Sampler II, Squier Jazzmaster, Fender Tele MIJ, and many FX pedals.

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:44 am

does the Blofeld respond to usb midi?

Saeptus

Post by Saeptus » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:58 am

Haven't tried USB midi. I will give that a try as soon as I can and report back.

Just out of curiosity, does the Blofeld have any MIDI settings that need to be set a certain way? The Digitakt?

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:19 am

i'd have to look at the manual because i packed my Blofeld.