Casio RZ-1 Custom Firmware

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Casio RZ-1 Custom Firmware

Postby Rasputin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:08 pm

I've been (very casually) mulling over the idea of making custom firmware for the RZ-1.

Features Wish List:

-- Being able to lock the "Accent" button so that all drum hits have extra emphasis by default. You can easily add emphasis if you're triggering by MIDI (velocity of 97-127), but if you're live drumming then you either have to hold down the Accent button (losing a hand in the process) or shove something in the button to keep it stuck down (jamming in a guitar pick works) -- not graceful.

-- Being able to change the MIDI notes corresponding to each pad. Maybe you want the drums to match General MIDI, maybe something else.

-- MIDI Sample Dump Standard (SDS); This would be hugely useful. Although an MT jack sideloading method exists, MIDI would be way more convenient.

Anyone else have any ideas or gripes about the RZ-1 that should be addressed? I think the MIDI notes issue would be very easy to hardcode into whatever was desired, but it would significantly more difficult to make it adjustable on-the-fly and stored in NVRAM so it is recalled after reboot / power off.

Again, just an idea I'm toying with and something that isn't that likely to happen.
Last edited by Rasputin on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Rasputin

Re: Casio RZ-1 Custom Firmware

Postby madtheory » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:58 pm

To somehow magically be able to change the pitch of each sound independently, or even do that on the fly with an envelope, or even have it as programmable per step in a pattern?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby sneakthief » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:11 pm

Somewhat related: is it just me, or are there some versions of the RZ-1 where you can change the pattern while playing and others where you can't?
sneak-thief: raw electrofunk!
http://sneak-thief.com
sneakthief

Postby Walter Ego » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:05 pm

Rasputin wrote:-- MIDI Sample Dump Standard (SDS); This would be hugely useful. Although an MT jack sideloading method exists, MIDI would be way more convenient.

Big +1 on this. I've read about the sideloading method. Way above my paygrade.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Postby madtheory » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:56 pm

Just read about the sideloader hacking Rasputin. That is very cool!
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Return to General Synthesizers