Digital Pianos

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
amanda0

Digital Pianos

Post by amanda0 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:32 am

What digital piano would you choose if you could not spend more than 2,500.00 ?
Last edited by amanda0 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Digital Pianos

Post by madtheory » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:02 pm

Roland HP603 CB.

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:17 pm

Addictive Keys Studio Grand. $79.95 plus tax. It's absolutely incredible:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AKStuGrand

With the remaining $2,400+, you will have plenty of money for everything else you may need to use it (i.e. high quality weighted MIDI keyboard) and a another new synth or two and/or a nice vacation.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:49 pm

It's actually not a great piano sound IMO. Certainly not "absolutely incredible". I find in many situations, Pianoteq is better.

And you haven't factored in the cost of a decent full range speaker system. The Roland I mentioned is actually very good value, compared to the cost of a weighted controller.

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:36 pm

madtheory wrote:It's actually not a great piano sound IMO. Certainly not "absolutely incredible". I find in many situations, Pianoteq is better.

And you haven't factored in the cost of a decent full range speaker system. The Roland I mentioned is actually very good value, compared to the cost of a weighted controller.
It is a great piano sound IMO and in the opinion of many others. And it IS absolutely incredible, especially for the price. You can extensively tweak the Studio Grand. It is far more versatile than the Roland. Here is a video clip showing some of the Studio Grand's versatility:

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:21 pm

Hope this doesn't end in "handbags at dawn" :roll:

Interestingly though, I have noticed a lot of faulty digital pianos on ebay, not cheap ones but Yam and Roland. It's like a chip dies, I guess the owner takes it for repair and gets the "could be anything and if it's a chip, a replacement is impossible to get" routine. I have thought about buying one for a look-see. Maybe if one turns up nearby I'll give it a go.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:32 pm

Lots of sampled pianos are terrible. That's nothing new. I'll name and shame soundsonline, and all of the pianos bundled with Kontakt. Terrible pianos. Mostly they simply weren't voiced and tuned before recording. Whereas Roland and Yamaha can harvest the expertise of piano builders AND synthesists AND sound engineers, because they do all of that in house.

I don't know why you would need to tweak a piano sound, especially a sample based one. It either sounds like a piano or it doesn't. If the thing wasn't voiced and miked properly in the first place, then nothing will really work. IME Roland and Yamaha, at least on their higher end digital pianos (lower end synths often have compromised samples) never have the problems that a lot of sample libraries do.

While pianoteq gives more control than anything else because it's a physical model not a sample set, the presets do actually sound like the piano they're modelled on. I only ever tweak them to do ridiculous things such as make the strings 15 metres long or something cool like that. Best digital piano solution I've found, so far.

Physical modelling isn't all that either- Arturia's piano is dreadful. Love their synths though :)

@blueknob, that's interesting! On the other hand, a few years ago I rescued a dead Technics digital piano from the trash. Had lived in a bar all its life. Was cosmetically in great shape, surprisingly. Turns out the problem was smoke/ tar build up on the ribbon connectors, of which there were quite a few. Cleaned them, piano came back to life.

Notwithstanding all of the above, I still feel that even an elderly upright that is reasonably well maintained is a better experience than the best digital piano, whatever the technology. Although I haven't tried Roland's V Piano, or the GEM.

Chhrisedwards

Post by Chhrisedwards » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:29 pm

I can spend more than $2,500.00 to buy an incredible piano for my studio. There are a lot of pianos available at Amazon and eBay.

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:37 am

madtheory wrote:Lots of sampled pianos are terrible...
How good does it have to sound? 80 bucks plus a weighted controller vs. thousands of dollars?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:52 am

What's your point? It's good for the price?

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:24 pm

madtheory wrote:What's your point? It's good for the price?
Why spend thousands if you don't have to.
Last edited by AnalogKid on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:27 pm

See above.

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:26 pm

:roll: Let's keep it all nice and friendly like eh?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:06 pm

It's just a difference of opinion. Don't worry, no-one is taking it personally. :)

Looks like Addictive keys has a compressed dynamic range, compared to Keyscape:

That's one of the things I like about PIanoteq. Same big dynamic range as a real piano.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:58 pm

If I may offer an option in the matter without starting WW III, I recently got my 100 year old piano professionally tuned. I sat down and played Grieg's To Spring for the first time in decades. It was magical; like night and day to the digital pianos I have tried. There appears to be many subtleties that myself as a player notice, but am not consciously aware of.

Reasonable acoustic uprights can be had for a few hundred UK pounds, sometimes less; a reputable tuner costs £50-70. If you do not need MIDI, portability, or audio outs, do think about giving the real thing a go; see if it suits. The relationship with the instrument is quite different in my experience.

Cheers