Karp Odyssey and presets...?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Karp Odyssey and presets...?

Postby jayrope » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:16 pm

Looking at the MIDI implementation of the Karp Odyssey i am slightly disappointed to see there is not much more control than note on/off and pitch.

Shouldn't there be... isn't there somewhere a mod / hack of someone trying to remote control that synth completely via MIDI?

ANY hints appreciated.
jayrope

Gear: stuff.
Band: bands.

Re: Karp Odyssey and presets...?

Postby meatballfulton » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:08 pm

This may sound obvious, but the original Odyssey had no control beyond pitch and gate and the reissue is true to that design.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Solderman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:59 pm

Best you can hope for until someone starts doing retrofits for big profit is use a Midi/CV converter for pitch and pedal CV inputs.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:49 pm

It is possible to add numerous patch points to almost any simple analog synth and then through MIDI/CV interfacing be able to remote control it....but that would be very expensive, way more than the cost of the instrument itself and defeats the whole purpose of going back to CV control. If you want extensive MIDI control, buy an analog with a good MIDI implementation like a modern Moog or DSI machine.

Here's a page documenting a variety of mods.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby clubbedtodeath » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:42 pm

As the posters above have said, it's a re-issue and so follows the original spec closely. Including the basic MIDI implementation.

That said, not once have I felt hindered by this on my KARP Odyssey. I just sequence with a Beatstep and tweak away. In a way, this simplicity is refreshing, and the synth is straightforward enough to work up patches from memory.

Cheers
clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Return to General Synthesizers