Oberheim DX and SC Drumtraks = virtually the same?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
autechre
Gear: Sequential Circuits Pro One, Oberheim Matrix 6, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Roland CR-8000, Sequential Circuits Drumtraks, Roland MSQ-700.

Oberheim DX and SC Drumtraks = virtually the same?

Post by autechre » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:31 pm

I personally own the Drumtraks and found the DX pretty cheap so it’s on its way to me. But now having listened to various demos and comparing with my Drumtraks, they sound pretty damn similar? How many of the EPROMS are actually the same? The snare sounds a little different but the others are very similar.

Which one of these would you keep? Seems unnecessary to own both when they’re pretty much the same, with the same functions and everything.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Oberheim DX and SC Drumtraks = virtually the same?

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:38 pm

The samples are completely different.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Post by max badwan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:35 pm

From memory, you can swap the eproms between the machines, and I think the LinnDrum as well.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:21 am

I think the DX is much better, sounds great and the swing on it is lovely. The swing on the drumtraks on the other hand, is fairly useless.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, XP-60, SY99, EMX1. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:25 am

monolith wrote:I think the DX is much better, sounds great and the swing on it is lovely. The swing on the drumtraks on the other hand, is fairly useless.
The swing is goddawful. What were they thinking? I thought my unit was broken but it's supposed to sound that way.

I prefer the sounds on the Drumtraks though, as I listen to a lot of 80's funk/R&B/hip-hop and I already got sick of the DMX/DX sound.
soundcloud.com/vectron