PCMs/WAVs/ROMs/samples from Alesis Quadrasynths/QS Series?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

PCMs/WAVs/ROMs/samples from Alesis Quadrasynths/QS Series?

Postby ziggyzipgun » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:17 pm

Is the somewhere I could download, or a way to transfer to my computer, just the raw factory PCMs from an Alesis QS-series synth?

I had an Alesis QSR for a number of years and recorded many rough demos with, just using factory presets. I sold it a few years ago and eventually fell in love with the Waldorf Blofeld, which is now 50% of my keyboard rig (paired with an Arturia Minibrute). I've been making good use of the Blofeld's limited sample memory (60MB) with a couple sets of Mellotron samples, but I'd like to be able to load some of the raw PCMs from the Alesis and build up a couple patches similar to the ones I used on the old home demos. I'm planning to pick up a used QSR in the near future to figure out which patches I used and how they're set up, but is there a way to transfer the PCMs to a computer? My original plan was to see which PCMs the patches used, make patches with everything bypassed, and record samples of the PCMs through the optical ADAT output...but that seems like an unnecessarily large pain in the d!ck. Also, are there PCMs for each note, or just one that gets transposed? I never learned how to program the QSR, and I'm not looking to permanently add it to my collection since I've already spent a lot of time learning how to program the Blofeld.

I realize that it's a silly idea, and somewhat defeats the purpose of either synth, but I think it'd be an interesting way of carrying on the now gone Quadrasynth sound.
ziggyzipgun

Re: PCMs/WAVs/ROMs/samples from Alesis Quadrasynths/QS Serie

Postby madtheory » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:52 pm

Sample Robot, Extreme Sample Converter or Autosampler in Apple Mainstage will automate the process of sampling the QSR.

It's the only way. Alesis never made the PCMs available, and no one has done a sample set of it AFAIK.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.
Band: Minim

Postby ziggyzipgun » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:22 pm

Anyone know if the samples were different the original Quadrasynth/S4, the S4 Plus, and the QSR? I understand that the presets were different, but I didn't know if they all used the same set of samples.
ziggyzipgun

Postby madtheory » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 pm

Pretty sure sample memory was increased and PCMs were too, an "upgrade" check the reviews on Sound On Sound magazine. IIRC they reviewed each synth as it came out.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.

Postby gs » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:35 pm

I don't think there's going to be anything special about the Alesis PCMs, especially short waveforms... Most of the character from those Alesis sounds came from the programming, not the PCMs themselves. Best to just pick up a used QSR, re-identify the presets you used, and be done with it.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M, Arturia CS-80V, VAZ Modular, co-author of MinimogueVA and Arppe2600va.
gs

Postby ziggyzipgun » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:46 pm

gs wrote:I don't think there's going to be anything special about the Alesis PCMs, especially short waveforms... Most of the character from those Alesis sounds came from the programming, not the PCMs themselves. Best to just pick up a used QSR, re-identify the presets you used, and be done with it.

Well, I took your advice, and picked up a QSR...and a Quadraverb 2, so I can use the same effects on the Blofeld once it's loaded up with QSR samples! I laughed out loud after purchasing both and then seeing their original list prices in old reviews: the QSR was $899, the Quadraverb 2 was $799...I paid just under $210 for the pair. I normally wouldn't bother with aging gear, but they were blessed with optical ins and outs, so they'll fit right in. Anyone know if there's a serial-to-USB cable that would work with these things, and whether or not there's software that would run in Windows 10?
ziggyzipgun

Postby BEMaster14 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:06 am

ziggyzipgun wrote:
gs wrote:I don't think there's going to be anything special about the Alesis PCMs, especially short waveforms... Most of the character from those Alesis sounds came from the programming, not the PCMs themselves. Best to just pick up a used QSR, re-identify the presets you used, and be done with it.

Well, I took your advice, and picked up a QSR...and a Quadraverb 2, so I can use the same effects on the Blofeld once it's loaded up with QSR samples! I laughed out loud after purchasing both and then seeing their original list prices in old reviews: the QSR was $899, the Quadraverb 2 was $799...I paid just under $210 for the pair. I normally wouldn't bother with aging gear, but they were blessed with optical ins and outs, so they'll fit right in. Anyone know if there's a serial-to-USB cable that would work with these things, and whether or not there's software that would run in Windows 10?

Serial? I would recommend a usb to midi (ex. Roland Um-One, Mio, and a few others. Ignore the cheap 6 dollar ones because they're cheap and don't work) and some interfaces like audiobox actually have midi out and in on them. for software I recommend you use a virtual machine because the QS editors I looked at are old as a tree in a forrest.
BEMaster14

Postby ziggyzipgun » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:35 pm

BEMaster14 wrote:Serial? I would recommend a usb to midi (ex. Roland Um-One, Mio, and a few others. Ignore the cheap 6 dollar ones because they're cheap and don't work) and some interfaces like audiobox actually have midi out and in on them. for software I recommend you use a virtual machine because the QS editors I looked at are old as a tree in a forrest.

I have a couple Focusrite Saffires that have MIDI and ADAT ins and outs - I just thought that the serial connection might be needed to use the editor software. Does anyone have a copy of the old Sound Diver program, or care to recommend any other editors?
ziggyzipgun

Postby madtheory » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:10 pm

Try MIDIQuest. The MIDI ports will do fine for editing.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby ziggyzipgun » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:27 pm

madtheory wrote:Try MIDIQuest. The MIDI ports will do fine for editing.

Is there a fee for the MidiQuest program, or only for the add-ons?
ziggyzipgun

Return to General Synthesizers