MicroKorg vs Korg DW-6000

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

MicroKorg vs Korg DW-6000

Postby K-man » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:47 am

I know they are different synths but, if you have to choose one of them, which one would you take?

DW-6000 is an hybrid analog/digital synth, that has a lovely warm, "analog" and vintage sound. It has full 61 keys but it's a very limited, heavy and old gear.

MicroKorgs is 100% digital, but can sound very warm and vintage. It has some "cons" like 37 minikeys and only 4 polyphony voices, but is much more portable, has many more featurers: arpeggiator, 128 memory patches, more real control, many more parameters and is more modern. Even, I think it has built in many DGWs waveforms.

What would be your election?

Thanks!
K-man

Gear: Casio CZ1000 - Kawai K4 - Korg DS8

Re: MicroKorg vs Korg DW-6000

Postby madtheory » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:02 am

Make it Korg MS-2000 versus DW-6000, and it's a fairer comparison. Because MS-2000 is the same synth engine (a very good sounding VA IMO) as the MicroKorg, but with proper keys and a much nicer UI for synthesising your own sounds.

BTW the DW has an arp! But doesn't have the vocoder- and it's a good one.

So personally I choose neither. I use the Legacy M1 for this kind of thing. Has a nice filter, and the DWGS waves. If you gave me a MicroKorg, I'd sell it because I already have a Novation KSR which is a better VA IMO. I'd keep the DW for a while though :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby K-man » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:39 am

madtheory wrote:BTW the DW has an arp!

DW-6000 has no arp... DW-8000 does.

Well, you would not choose neither, but if you would to, which one would you prefer?
K-man

Gear: Casio CZ1000 - Kawai K4 - Korg DS8

Postby madtheory » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Ah, I see. Thanks, I misread the VSE entry.

Like I said, I'd keep the DW for a while, at least. Just to see what it's like compared to using the M1 plugin. I don't think I'd use the arp, because I have the Oberheim Cyclone :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby JeEA » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:54 pm

I would choose the Micro.
Think this analog wave has gone far enough.
There are more possibilities In the Micro.

It sounds great.

I have 2 volca keys and 1 beat which I hope to Trade for
a roland JP-08 or JU-06 VA synth.

Cheers
Jens
JeEA

Return to General Synthesizers