Opinion: Best or favorite Midiverb?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
NCChao1268
Gear: Kurzweil K2000 fully upgraded
Roland Juno 106
Roland JX-8P
Korg DW 8000
Polysix
Alesis SR-16
Yamaha DX7

Opinion: Best or favorite Midiverb?

Post by NCChao1268 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:49 am

There were four Midiverbs made by Alesis, all very similar, some with improvements over others. Which one is your guys' favorite and which one do you think is the best? Does each one excel at a particular effect or have a more special sound? Or are they of any relevance today?

Thanks,

-Nathan

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Opinion: Best or favorite Midiverb?

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:15 am

How much do you love lo-fi sounds? The fidelity kept increasing with each iteration although none are ever going to be confused with a Yamaha or Lexicon unit.

The original Midiverb is a 12-bit desktop unit with RCA jacks, the other three are 16-bit rackmounts with 1/4" jacks if that is important.

Both the III and IV can be edited, the other two only have fixed presets.

Hard to believe people paid around $700 for the original model back in 1987. When Roland put a reverb in the D50 the same year it was considered a minor miracle.

Here's a 2011 thread on the same subject over at Gearslutz.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:45 am

I like my nano verb, although I recently replaced it with a strymon blue sky. Is there any relation with the midiverb series?
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:20 am

I always liked my Quadraverb, although it is a bit noisy!

ʝɵʝɵ
Gear: Roland D-50, U-220, XV-5080, Yamaha AN1x, CS1x, CS6R, TG77, Korg X5DR, Kawai K4, Kurzweil K2500

Post by ʝɵʝɵ » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:16 pm

I have to say that I'm completely disappointed by my first-gen Nanoverb 2. Takes a second to initialize program changes, is rather noisy, it overdrives easily and - this really surprised me! - the waveform wraps around once it overdrives too much! How is that even possible? They use a 52-bit DSP, which tells me that it's a 48 bit signal + 4 guard bits, and since it's a DSP it should have saturation arithmetic instructions that are practically free. Still, they don't seem to saturate the signal after processing. Luckily I only paid 50€ for it... But for such a modern device, it's a huge disappointment. You can do better DSP for less money.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:19 pm

My two favs are the Midiverb3 and the Quadraverb+ :thumbright:

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:51 pm

The Alesis reverbs are great. IME the Midiverb 2, 3 and Microverb 3 are a bit c**p by modern standards. I've heard that the original Microverb was a bit special.

But my two faves are the Quadraverb+, the obvious classic which does some very cool stuff besides reverb, and the Midiverb 4 which is absolutely lush sounding. IIRC the same algos are in the Alesis Wedge? Only problem is they use a single ASIC. The inside is hilarious- one ASIC, a display and the sockets, no external support components at all. It's a genius design. But if it dies (and they do) the machine is not repairable.

daynel8

Post by daynel8 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:16 am

My fave is MIDIverb II. Similar than Midiverb I but much cleaner character.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:22 am

A question to any Midiverb experts:

Decades ago I borrowed a friend's original Midiverb (the little flat desktop unit) and absolutely adored the reverbs in it. When I listen back to those original demos, the Reverb from the Midiverb still sounds great - I really love the character of that reverb and keep intending to buy one 2nd hand.

So my question is - are the Reverb algorithms (and sound) of that original Midivery captured in later 19" Alesis Reverbs, or should I stick to getting the original. My fear in buying one of the later ones is that they may be cleaner, and with improved AD/DA conversion and indeed even superior algorithms, NOT making them the same.

Anyone got experience with the original and later version who can comment?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:43 pm

They are different, but IIRC you can get a Quadraverb to do the same thing, suits ambient electronic music very well.

You'll find info here:
https://valhalladsp.com/2010/08/25/rip-keith-barr/

And also maybe here:
https://valhalladsp.com/2010/12/02/valh ... cks-bloom/

Sean Costello is a fan of Keith Barr's Alesis reverb work.

And IIRC there is some discussion about it in this thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-en ... tiary.html

ian
Gear: TR707, yam Sk20, Korg MS20, yam DX Reface and Dx7, Arturia micro, Kawai 1 Ii and 3... My step up is a work in progress.
Band: Black Limo

Post by ian » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:05 am

Last edited by ian on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

ian
Gear: TR707, yam Sk20, Korg MS20, yam DX Reface and Dx7, Arturia micro, Kawai 1 Ii and 3... My step up is a work in progress.
Band: Black Limo

Post by ian » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:06 am

I had a Nanoverb in the late 90's, it had so much hiss I couldn't even use it with my 4 track cassette recorder, I was not being picky, either, I was doing really lofi stuff at the time. I was never sure if it was just that unit that was noisy or if all Nanoverb spoke parsaltongue ( Harry potter ref? Really, Ian?)