going back to the 70s?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

going back to the 70s?

Postby morty » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Anyone know what brass and strings Joe Vanelli (Gino Vanelli)
used at "Storm at Sun Up" CD? especially the strings on Song "Keep on Walking"?
morty

Re: going back to the 70s?

Postby Music Bird » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:50 pm

I think the Minikorg and Maxikorg. Multitracked. The bass synth is actually an SEM based bass synthesizer controlled via bass guitar. The high pass and low pass simultaneously gives it away as a Korg from the 70's. Later, Joe used a PS-3100 and 3300 synthesizer to create those sounds. The strings sound like both layered.
I would say you'd use a lowpass filter for those strings and pulse waves mixed with Saw waves. What synths do you have, if you wanted to recreate those sounds? It actually reminds me of the sounds that the band No Koes' keyboard player Pompi S. used.
Korg, Casio and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths
Acoustic guitar, harmonicas, recorders, flutes, tin whistle, kazoo, egg shakers, log drum, pellet drums, xylophone bowl.
Music Bird

Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Postby morty » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:05 pm

I was listening to it the other day "Keep on walking", the back up strings... couldn't believe how real they sounded back then, was trying to find a similar sting on my Yamaha MX61 the "Str Sec 1"patch sounded fairly close with a Rhodes patch
His chording was phenomenal for that song

thanks for your help :D

Korg Krome 88,Nord Electro 5,Yamaha Mx61,Roland Fa07,Roland VK-8M
morty

Postby morty » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:13 pm

Hey Musicbird noticed you have a MX49 could use some help with editing,,,?
stevemorton77@hotmail.com
if interested

thanks
morty

Postby Music Bird » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:56 am

Look in the synth string sounds, layer that and it will work well. Also, lower the cutoff. I've noticed if you tweak Bright Saw Pad (the first Pad sound) it works well. Also, the Nord Electro Mellotron settings with edited cutoff. I think the FA is the best bet though because it has SuperNatural engine. I have no idea which presets though.
Korg, Casio and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths
Acoustic guitar, harmonicas, recorders, flutes, tin whistle, kazoo, egg shakers, log drum, pellet drums, xylophone bowl.
Music Bird

Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Postby Micke » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Music Bird wrote:I think the Minikorg and Maxikorg. Multitracked. The bass synth is actually an SEM based bass synthesizer controlled via bass guitar. The high pass and low pass simultaneously gives it away as a Korg from the 70's. Later, Joe used a PS-3100 and 3300 synthesizer to create those sounds. The strings sound like both layered.
I would say you'd use a lowpass filter for those strings and pulse waves mixed with Saw waves. What synths do you have, if you wanted to recreate those sounds? It actually reminds me of the sounds that the band No Koes' keyboard player Pompi S. used.

The bass synth on the albums Powerful people, Storm at sunup and The Gist of the gemini is actually the Mini-korg (played by Richard Baker). The Maxi-korg made its debut on Sunup and was used to build up the strings and brass along with the mini-korg. The electric bass/Oberheim SEMx2 setup was only used for the Brother to Brother album**. That album was also the first to use the Korg PS-3300 for strings and pads. However, according to Gino they could never capture the richness of strings and horns as they did on the earlier albums, with one flick of a switch. The painstaking effort of recording one note at a time (recorded twice slightly detuned for width) and altering settings with each new note, in the end proved to be the best kept secret.

** although they did use an Oberheim 8-voice on the previous album A Pauper in paradise for some of the bass parts.
Last edited by Micke on Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby morty » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Thanks Miche
For your info I’ll look into that

Music bird I gave you my email could you help me
With my Yamaha MX sometimes
morty

Postby gs » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Okay, "Going back to the 70s" - I though this thread was going to be about this:

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M, Arturia CS-80V, VAZ Modular, co-author of MinimogueVA and Arppe2600va.
gs

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:56 pm

Or that:

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Return to General Synthesizers