Behringer about to release six (!) new synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Rokk

Re: Behringer about to release six (!) new synths

Post by Rokk » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:02 pm

meatballfulton wrote:MS20? Why bother?
If they make it without that horrible noise problem that got through at Korg's, then why not?
Jabberwalky wrote:I'd be into a Cat if it actually sounded the same. CEM2040, so good.
+1. I'd be totally for the Cat even if it doesn't sound exactly the same, which I doubt it will. Imho the Cat is one of the most interesting monos and I really like its sound. I hope they'll make a full size keyboard version.

ian
Gear: TR707, yam Sk20, Korg MS20, yam DX Reface and Dx7, Arturia micro, Kawai 1 Ii and 3... My step up is a work in progress.
Band: Black Limo

Post by ian » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:50 am

Ok...blah blah blah...glitch... Blah...

What I don't understand is how could Behringer put out an MS-20, Curtis chip or 808 clone, for example, without being sued? I understand that the Model D became fair game because Moog snafu-ed but this list?

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:17 am

Rokk wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:MS20? Why bother?
If they make it without that horrible noise problem that got through at Korg's, then why not?
Because the original MS20 had the exact same noise problem?

Remember to be careful of what you ask for...if you want something as close as possible to the original, you get all the warts of the original circuitry, too.

On a somewhat unrelated note, over at Synthtopia in the comments about the Behringer "glitch" someone actually asked "who wants clones" as if he hadn't read any posts in any synth forum in the last 20 years begging for reissues.

Interesting times :drinks:
ian wrote:Ok...blah blah blah...glitch... Blah...

What I don't understand is how could Behringer put out an MS-20, Curtis chip or 808 clone, for example, without being sued? I understand that the Model D became fair game because Moog snafu-ed but this list?
No patents are involved and there is no protection against copying of schematics or even board layouts. Ironically cosmetics are better protected! Roland got Behringer to change the cases of their stomp boxes which were originally seen at trade shows looking exactly like Boss pedals.

So they tweaked the shape just a bit and changed the color, but kept the circuit:

For some reason ElectroHarmonix never went after them, though.

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.