Looking for vintage Yamaha PSR keyboards samples

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Looking for vintage Yamaha PSR keyboards samples

Postby Los974 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi everybody,
I was wondering if somebody could tell where can I find samples from vintage Yamaha PSR arranger keyboards from the mid-80s. I couldn't find any resource on the web since then. I think they have a unique sound design which is worth using in nowadays music.

Just to give an idea of what I am looking for, here is the context: at the time Yamaha released the DX7, from 1983, they rapidly decided to rely on this synthesis method to produce arranger keyboards. But to be able to reproduce drum sounds, they added a PCM-playback module that could play some realistic drum samples which tend to mimic the Linn Drum Machine! Quite amazing at that time.

Here is the most 'mysterious' reason that motivate my request: I suspect samples were also used for instrument sounds (in a way similar to the Roland D-50 that was released later) because from what I remember, those keyboards had some incredible synth sounds that I never heard from pure FM synths like the DX7 or the TX-81Z. Examples of such presets : Brass&Chimes, Hawaian Guitar, Calliope (so different from the Roland's one). Not sure FM synthesis can reproduce such sounds from its own. That's why I would like to make music with those wonderful sounds again.

Here is a list of Yamaha keyboards using this technology: PSR-50, PSR-60, PSR-70, PSR-6100, PSR-6300. Youtube is full of videos showcasing these models, just have a look. There might also be lots of other models.
Greetings!
Los974

Re: Looking for vintage Yamaha PSR keyboards samples

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:02 pm

Keep in mind that the PSR keyboards were only 2-op FM, while the professional Yamaha line used 4-op or 6-op.

There is no way to get at the PCM samples in those machines, only sampling the presets is possible.

If you google you will find some free samples (many are just the drums, ugh) of various PSR models.Here's one such site (in Spanish). Good luck.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Los974 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:10 pm

Dear meatballfulton,
thanks a lot! I did my search in English but I never tried other languages, including French, which is my mother language.

Regards.
Los974

Postby desmond » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:23 pm

Coincidentally, speaking of 1983 Yamaha home keyboard samples, I just released the RetroSound MK100 for Kontakt yesterday. :)

http://www.difficultaudio.com

The Yamaha MK100 was the home keyboard model that came a little before FM trickled down into the home keyboard range, but it *sounds* like an FM synth. From the research I did, it seem Yamaha voiced the MK100 based on the brand new DX7, as they were quite happy with the new direction. So it's not FM, and it's not PCM samples either, just some digital single-cycle waves.

From what I remember of the later PSR models, they were either FM based, or PCM sample based (and often, a combination of the two). So the voices you hear that weren't FM were likely short PCM samples (memory was tight back then!)
desmond

Postby Los974 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply,
PSS keyboards series were a bit earlier than the PSR series I was thinking about. Nonetheless, it is a very interesting project! Maybe my next goal after I conclude my PSR project ;)

All the best.
Los974

Return to General Synthesizers